My test drive experience :(

jtrump

Well I have to say the Focus wasn't what I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's probably a great car, but I was disappointed. It felt a bit numb driving it, not what I expected. I didn't drive it for very long though. Honestly, this is what killed it for me, more than anything (NOT MY PICTURE):

ag_12focus_seatfold.JPG

I'm getting a hatchback for the space... and the lack of a flat and even floor kinda kills it for me. Plus the space behind the rear seats was smaller than I expected compared to the Mazda3.

Hope you guys enjoy your Foci, unfortunately the car wasn't quite what I expected and I don't think I'll be getting one. Kinda a bummer, I was REALLY sold on it until I actually saw it and test drove it.

Well I have to say the Focus wasn't what I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's probably a great car, but I was disappointed. It felt a bit numb driving it, not what I expected. I didn't drive it for very long though. Honestly, this is what killed it for me, more than anything (NOT MY PICTURE):

ag_12focus_seatfold.JPG

I'm getting a hatchback for the space... and the lack of a flat and even floor kinda kills it for me. Plus the space behind the rear seats was smaller than I expected compared to the Mazda3.

Hope you guys enjoy your Foci, unfortunately the car wasn't quite what I expected and I don't think I'll be getting one. Kinda a bummer, I was REALLY sold on it until I actually saw it and test drove it.

Who ever put those seat backs down didn't pull up and forward the lower seat cushion so they would lay flat. What do you mean by numb? Accelerator not responsive, slow to shift, steering...

Who ever put those seat backs down didn't pull up and forward the lower seat cushion so they would lay flat. What do you mean by numb? Accelerator not responsive, slow to shift, steering...

The seat cushion can be moved? How does that work?

As far as numb, just felt like it was a little slow to respond, didn't really have a GOOD chance to drive it around, and I'm not sure that would have helped as it's a SE and I was interested in the Titanium. I would like to get in a Titanium and give it another chance. I was just disappointed by the lack of room between the rear seats and the liftgate.

So there's a pull handle on the front bottom of the rear cushions that let you pull them up and flip them down to the floor like in the Escape? Are there release clips to completely remove the cushions like in the Escape too?

You reach in the crack between the back and the cushion and pull the cushion up, it will fold forward. Don't know if it can be removed all together though.

Note that cars with a full size spare (the sports package), where is a ~5" height difference between the seat backs and the trunk floor, this is because they have to raise the trunk floor to fix the full size spare.

The seat cushion can be moved? How does that work?

As far as numb, just felt like it was a little slow to respond, didn't really have a GOOD chance to drive it around, and I'm not sure that would have helped as it's a SE and I was interested in the Titanium. I would like to get in a Titanium and give it another chance. I was just disappointed by the lack of room between the rear seats and the liftgate.

You grab the lower seat cushion at the base of the seat back and pull up and pull the seat forward. Stand the seat cushion up and forward and it fits on its front edge behind the front seat. Press the button on the outside top of the rear seat back, pull forward and lay flat. Depending on how far back the front seats are, you may have to remove the headrests.

Edit: Typing the same time Emerrill was posting.

Edited by transitman

You grab the lower seat cushion at the base of the seat back and pull up and pull the seat forward. Stand the seat cushion up and forward and it fits on its front edge behind the front seat. Press the button on the outside top of the rear seat back, pull forward and lay flat. Depending on how far back the front seats are, you may have to remove the headrests.

Gotcha. The salesman I dealt with obviously had NO IDEA you could do this.

I did a brief test drive of an SE hatch. Didn't have PowerShift so I didn't pay much attention to the transmission. Of course, I didn't hit it hard but my first impression of the power was favorable. The engine noise, however, was a little louder than I anticipated, having read all the reviews and comments here and elsewhere. Noise not unpleasant but I did notice it right off. Overall, my lasting impression was how difficult it's going to be to learn all the functions of MFT when it's added to what's already on the wheel of the SE!

I ordered a Titanium sedan in October. Dealer said he was on the phone earlier with the regional rep and thinks he'll get a build date next week.

...As far as numb, just felt like it was a little slow to respond, didn't really have a GOOD chance to drive it around, and I'm not sure that would have helped as it's a SE and I was interested in the Titanium. I would like to get in a Titanium and give it another chance. I was just disappointed by the lack of room between the rear seats and the liftgate.

to the best of my knowledge there are 3 levels of suspension tune

most sporty = Titanium + Handling Pkg

medium = std Euro trims, base Titanium, SE + Sport Pkg

softest = everything else in the U.S.

from what I've read on the web, each level is noticeably different

to the best of my knowledge there are 3 levels of suspension tune

most sporty = Titanium + Handling Pkg

medium = std Euro trims, base Titanium, SE + Sport Pkg

softest = everything else in the U.S.

from what I've read on the web, each level is noticeably different

I can attest to the fact that there is a substantial difference between the 'medium' and the 'soft' suspension tuning. I drove an SE without the Sport Package and was extremely disappointed in how the car felt. I expected that there would be a noticeable difference between the standard SE suspension and the Titanium/SE Sport Package and there was. I'd probably prefer the Titanium + Handling Pkg set up but the Titanium is quite good.

That is disappointing, because the rear seat has operated like that since the 2000 model.

I'm starting to think that when I walk into a dealership, people say, "Give him to the new guy, he's not actually going to buy anything."

The three times I've been to dealers (two Ford, one Mazda), I had either no help or little help. The only time I got good help was when I revisited the Mazda dealership and talked to the internet sales guy with whom I had corresponded online. I actually went straight from the Ford dealership to the Mazda dealership (they are in the same town, 45 minutes from me), because I was so disappointed in the space in the back of the Focus.

Hopefully the dealership near me that is getting the Titanium with handling package gets it in soon, so I can continue my indecision :)

A little FYI, If the car is fitted with split-fold seats you get the fold forward seat cushions, the full fold seatback is stuck with the non flip forward lower cushion.

Except a 2008 Coupe with Split Fold Seats.

When you pull up the bottom cushion (as I just did), clips come up and seat belt hardware disappears and then you spend 15 minutes putting it back the way it was.

However, you might find some money.

I believe that every five door hatchback car has the split fold rear seat (and appropriate folding bottom cushions) and of course that is the car that matters for those who care about rear "fold flat" storage.

And nobody cares about a 2008 coupe with fold flat seats because nobody reading this forum is going to order one of those.

- ranchero -

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, there are good and bad sales people in the auto industry. In general, I expect to walk in knowing far more than the sales person simply because I know I've researched the hell out of the car I've come to look at. And he/she has to know something about every car on the lot. If I find someone that knows as much as I do I'm shocked and I think it's happened once in 25 years of car buying.