The 2012 fold flat debate

Detroit Mustang

After reading tons of reviews, where the reviewer was not aware he could flip the rear seats up before folding the rear seat backs down, I am reminded of the Titanium debate on fold flat.

Some claim the subwoofer causes a 5 inch difference between flat trunk and flat seats. Others (like me) claim the main difference is actually whether or not you have the Titanium performance with the big full size spare. So, I dug up a couple of pictures to aid in this debate.

With large spare:

Spare_and_Storage_under_trunk_cover.jpg

Without large spare:

DSC_0310.jpg

Look at the difference in the depth of the amp.

What do you think? Am I still dreaming of a place to sleep?

Oh, and just for fun... what will you be storing in your cubby holes?

Edited by Detroit Mustang

Didn't know there were cubby holes there. That's nifty.

I don't think I'll be satisfied that I know enough about the Focus until I drag a dog crate down to the dealership and stick it in the back of one :P I don't think the Focus is going to accommodate my dog well enough though.

I've been wrestling with this for a while in my head.

As much as it's great to have smaller spare tire with more storage space, I've been caught three times with a flat and realized the importance of a "full-sized" spare. With those cubby spaces, I'm not sure what I would put in there - maybe valuables that I know won't get tossed about in the trunk area.

...With large spare:

Spare_and_Storage_under_trunk_cover.jpg

what kind of wheel does the full size spare get? matching?

& for the cubbies:

a polythene bag of ice holding a bottle of Dom Perignon and a bottle of Chandon Blanc de Noirs

not sure where to keep the stemware yet

Edited by 2b2

Won't match the other tires, but it is a regular road tire 215 55R16 H speed rated.

I'm curious about the 18" full size spare that comes with the Titanium Handling Package. Anyone know if it will be a premium wheel/tire combo? Although it would be preferable (to me), it seems like it would be rather pricey considering Ford Parts lists the 18" wheel at $475 and the PS3 tire should price out at north of $250.

I'm curious about the 18" full size spare that comes with the Titanium Handling Package. Anyone know if it will be a premium wheel/tire combo? Although it would be preferable (to me), it seems like it would be rather pricey considering Ford Parts lists the 18" wheel at $475 and the PS3 tire should price out at north of $250.

The Titanium Handling Package I looked at had a 215/55R16 93H Continental (didn't catch the line), on a steel rim. So full size, but not a matching set - it looks like the tire is the one they use as the stock tire on regular Titaniums

Edited by emerrill

Since the Titanium Handling package comes with 18's, the spare tire has to match. It only makes sense that it match! The only question is whether the rim is also matching, or is standard metal rim. I suppose we will find out for sure soon.

I can tell you for sure it does not match size or rims. The rims are steel, and thes tires are 215s, while the non spares are 235. Your outside diameter is still the same , which is what makes it full size. Unless the titanium with handling package I looked at was somehow different.

I just reviewed a CA dealer stock-ordered Titanium hatchback w/Handling Package build specs on Etis and noted the following:

With Steel Spare Wheel <li> 8 X 18 ET 55MM Alloy Style 2 <li> With Conventional Spare Tyre <li> With Kysor Radiator Shutter

As much as it's great to have smaller spare tire with more storage space, I've been caught three times with a flat and realized the importance of a "full-sized" spare.

+1. I was happy to see the handling package included a full-size spare. I don't like the idea of being halfway between Phoenix and San Diego with my 4-year-old girl in the back and have to limp somewhere to fix a tire. With the full-size you can get to your destination much more safely and then worry about fixing/replacing the damaged tire. Thumbs up to Ford! Does anyone else provide a full-size these days ??

Toyota has a full size tire on the Prius, but only on the touring model. At least they did with the 2008 model I had.

I was freaked the other day when I finally went to the dealer and saw this Focus 5 door for the first time in person. I have waited for almost 3 years to be able to buy this car. When I saw the thing, I thought uh oh, it is too small! My hubby is 6'1", 190 lbs and disabled. We have to carry a wheelchair when we go away for more than a few hours. If we go for the night, add a walker, and shower chair, plus luggage. I spoke to the sales manager, and he asked me to bring those things in, and let's see. I did it yesterday, and it all fit! We put the seats totally flat, and had room for a small cooler too! Hubby comfortably slid right into passenger seat. Plenty of leg room. I am amazed.

As for the cubby holes, I think that is a good place for my purse, and chamois, touch up spray, and tire gauge. What a good idea to have that there.

Edited by Spooky

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota has a full size tire on the Prius, but only on the touring model. At least they did with the 2008 model I had.

I was freaked the other day when I finally went to the dealer and saw this Focus 5 door for the first time in person. I have waited for almost 3 years to be able to buy this car. When I saw the thing, I thought uh oh, it is too small! My hubby is 6'1", 190 lbs and disabled. We have to carry a wheelchair when we go away for more than a few hours. If we go for the night, add a walker, and shower chair, plus luggage. I spoke to the sales manager, and he asked me to bring those things in, and let's see. I did it yesterday, and it all fit! We put the seats totally flat, and had room for a small cooler too! Hubby comfortably slid right into passenger seat. Plenty of leg room. I am amazed.

As for the cubby holes, I think that is a good place for my purse, and chamois, touch up spray, and tire gauge. What a good idea to have that there.

I was also very impressed with the room available when you fold those seats flat. I have a Chevy Impala right now, and the trunk in that thing is big enough for me to sleep in, and I utilize it often for anything from golf clubs, to boxes. The fact I could fit my golf clubs in the back without having to fold down the seats, OR grease them up to fit in was amazing for a smaller car!

I guess I'm the only one annoyed I have to give up that much cargo space for a full-sized spare. I've had my current car for 5 years and never had to change a flat. I'm already looking at Ford Parts to see how much it will cost me to swap out the tray/tire/spacer with the mini spare components.

I guess I'm the only one annoyed I have to give up that much cargo space for a full-sized spare. I've had my current car for 5 years and never had to change a flat. I'm already looking at Ford Parts to see how much it will cost me to swap out the tray/tire/spacer with the mini spare components.

That is one of the reasons I'm really happy I didn't get the handeling package - which I seriously considered for a while.

You'll need the right versions of 11168 - Jack Handle Storage Pad, left and right. The thing that confuses me here, is that I've seen 3 heights in person (standard, with sub, and with full spare), but they only list 2 styles (standard, and with sub). So I'm not sure exactly what should be done here.

The right size wheel spacer called Box Asy - Stowage, 17009A - $0?

Jack Mounting Bracket Washer - 1424A - $17.33

And the spare, which would probably be 1007F - $79.05

Not claiming this is comprehensive, just what I think you would need to convert it.

Edited by emerrill

What if you replace the jack handle storage pads to the smaller one, ditch the pad on top of the spare tire, and then have some sort of harder surface on top of the spare tire (like the Ford Accessories tray) to prevent things from puncturing the spare? Could that create a flat enough load floor?

What if you replace the jack handle storage pads to the smaller one, ditch the pad on top of the spare tire, and then have some sort of harder surface on top of the spare tire (like the Ford Accessories tray) to prevent things from puncturing the spare? Could that create a flat enough load floor?

Pretty sure that the spare is still too tall, even w/o the pad, for the shorter jack pads