Latest medium and heavy truck news

You folks just don't get it !

In SE MI, a gallon of diesel is averaging about $3.75.

A "gasoline gallon equivalent" of CNG is about $1.85.

I don't know what the fuel mileage difference would be of an F750 diesel versus CNG would be, but $1.90 goes a long way. That and only 6-7 quarts of oil per change versus 12-15 ? Do medium duties require "diesel fluid" ?

Multiply this by 50-100K miles per year and CNG is a winner !

I get it, believe me! Here in CA., there is also the added cost of DPF retrofit, which can cost upwards on $14,000 per truck! Many fleets are faced with the prospect of either retrofitting an older truck if they want to continue to use it, or selling it out-of-state and replacing it. This is driving a lot of vehicle replacement, and a lot of fleets are getting really leery of diesel.

How do you figure less crankcase capacity?

The gasoline/CNG engine will be the standard 3V, 6.8L V10 ! Proven technology. including the CNG conversion. Reliable. Makes reasonable torque. Cheap (except for the CNG conversion). And I'm certain it has a smaller crankcase than a diesel.

By the way did not know that carbon fiber tanks were approved. Interesting bit of trivia, 10 plus years ago Ford had experimented with carbon fiber leaf springs for heavy trucks. the technology I'm sure has been improving

Maybe if the total volume of the entire CNG industry exceeds 10K units/year the price will start coming down. The big problem today is that engineering costs (which includes the aftermarket people getting their own EPA and CRAB certs) is spread across very few vehicles.

From a business standpoint, Ford is risking nothing (all of the engineering is done by the aftermarket). When fleets wake up to the potential cost savings (like AT&T already has) in "total cost of ownership", I'm suspecting they will be breaking down the doors to buy these. Plus the purchaser gets to wave the "I'm Green" and "I use a fuel that is 95% US produced" flags !

Bi-fuel is a challenge. Dedicate CNG is pretty easy.

You folks just don't get it !

In SE MI, a gallon of diesel is averaging about $3.75.

A "gasoline gallon equivalent" of CNG is about $1.85.

I don't know what the fuel mileage difference would be of an F750 diesel versus CNG would be, but $1.90 goes a long way. That and only 6-7 quarts of oil per change versus 12-15 ? Do medium duties require "diesel fluid" ?

Multiply this by 50-100K miles per year and CNG is a winner !

Dude, Relax.....

We are a Roush and Landirenzo dealer, I understand the value to the right user...I was just telling you how my customers look at alternative fuels..

Buy the way the F150 bi fuel truck has a "mixing valve" that dealer cost is $1977.00, we have them in stock and keep them in the safe.....

Edited by BAM

The gasoline/CNG engine will be the standard 3V, 6.8L V10 ! Proven technology. including the CNG conversion. Reliable. Makes reasonable torque. Cheap (except for the CNG conversion). And I'm certain it has a smaller crankcase than a diesel.

Duh! I'm not thinking- I was thinking this would be some sort of Westlake conversion for the Cummins-obviously another plus for the move to offer the V-10-either propane or CNG as an alternative fuel.

We just took delivery of a bunch of Landi-Renzo/Baytech CNG Chevys. They do nice work, I have been to their conversion facility.

Triton/Mods have not been my favorite engines for CNG conversions in the past. Seem to have more valve/seat wear than other engines on dry fuel. I think Ford realizes there is an issue, they are emphasizing valve upgrades on the V-10 for CNG/LNG.

We just took delivery of a bunch of Landi-Renzo/Baytech CNG Chevys. They do nice work, I have been to their conversion facility.

Triton/Mods have not been my favorite engines for CNG conversions in the past. Seem to have more valve/seat wear than other engines on dry fuel. I think Ford realizes there is an issue, they are emphasizing valve upgrades on the V-10 for CNG/LNG.

Did the engines in question have the gaseous prep that gives you the more robust valves?

Did the engines in question have the gaseous prep that gives you the more robust valves?

I would have to assume at least some of them did. We bought a number of the 2001-2003 dedicated CNG F-150's. Also had a lot of trouble keeping plugs and coils in them, but that is to be expected. We had other F-150's that were converted dual-fuel (GFI).

The last time I was at Landi-Renzo they were doing a bunch of 5.4L E-350's

Not just "emphasizing" valve upgrade, it is the key part of the factory "gaseous fuels prep" package !

The V10 gaseous fuels prep package includes special valve seats and valves. Converting a standard engine to a gaseous fuel voids your warranty.

The only way to get a full factory warranty on all of the non-CNG parts is to buy from a Ford Qualified Vehicle Modifier.