New Vehicle order turned down by Ford

Ford is in the process of scheduling the final 2011 Explorer orders now with the cut off date for fleet orders being 04/22/2011. The 2012 Explorer Order Bank was scheduled to open on 05/08/2011 but the 2012 Explorer Order Guide has not yet been released to Dealers. 2012 Explorer scheduling is set to start on 06/16/2011 with a Job #1 Date being 07/18/2011.

ice-capades, please post the order guide when you get it.

Thanks

Wife and i spend 4 hours at a ford dealership last week, driving and looking hard at the 2011 explorer. (at 50k, i take my time). Went home to do online research on the explorer.

Wife likes the GMC Terrain . Spend time at the Gm dealership too. Convinced her that explorer is the way to go, being A planner and all ,

Decided to pull the trigger on a loaded Limited.

Back to Ford dealer....spend 1 1/2 hours there while salesman tried to do a dealer trade on several units he found that fit our list of options.

No luck. We left to drive around all the ford dealers, just to see what there is available on lots.All explorers we seen where either black or white. No thanks.

Back to "our" dealer, and ordered a explorer just the way we want it even though we by now knew there will be a 12 week wait. ( or longer) which takes the fun right out of it as far as i am concerned, but still better then buying another brand.

Dealer calls next day to inform me, that ford did not accept the order.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????

I'm in awe.......W. T. F.........

I'm just pissed...

Wife is pissed....

When my wife is pissed i dont get lucky....

I'm still pissed....

Wife ended up getting her way

2011 GMC Terrain

GM 1

Ford 0

Not to mention that we spend a considerable amount of time and gas also on this explorer fiasco.

It doesn't sound like Ford did not accept your order. It appears your dealership has no more allocation for June production, which is the last month of production for 2011 Explorer. They could have tried to dealer trade for allocation. I'm not sure where you are at, but most dealers will work with each other for retails.

I don't think I would have bought a GMC over a Ford because of the white color. I hope she does enjoy the Terrain though.

I know that dealerships are independent businesses, but they represent Ford! Ford should encourage and contract them to work together to move vehicles. If a vehicle is available then it should be available, regardless of its location.

My experience with this was when I bought my mustang. I wanted particular options. There was the exact car I was looking for located at another dealership. My dealership made a trade with them and I was able to get the car I wanted. It is my understanding that if a car is a "hot" car, they are not always willing to trade, but I guess it is up to each dealership involved. Remember, you always have the option to travel to the "other dealership" that has the car and buy it from them. It is my understanding that you are not required to do service at the dealership you purchased the vehicle from.

I ordered by Explorer limited on Feb. 9. Just picked it up from Dealer yesterday. It seems it is taking anywhere from 10-15 weeks to get a new explorer built. Maybe that is why order was turned down i.e., couldn't get built this model year and not taking orders for 2012 yet.

Regarding dealership experience, getting the vehicle yesterday was a very slow painful experience. My dealership refused to call the extended warranty an extended warranty. They only call it a purchase protection plan. They also tried to get me to switch banks. I refused and they really seemed unhappy.

Yup, it is what it is, and what it is, is extended warranty.

ya can put lipstick on a pig but in the end it's still a pig.

I have dealt with ALL dealers within a 45 minute drive from my home. I ran into difficulties with all of them. If not on the first car, then the second car purchased at any given dealer. If it wasn't sales then it was service. Usually service.

The dealer i bought the last 6 from is not perfect but much better then any other i know.

That's why i refuse to buy a vehicle at another dealer and give them the sale and end up getting service at " my dealer ".

For once i get treated well all the way around and unless things go sour, that's where i will stay.

So, how is that the dealers fault?. It,s not that he didn't try.

Why isn't it the dealer's fault? He could have easily said: "Look Pete, we don't have any more allocation for the '11 because we have sold or ordered them all. We will gladly order you a '12 ASAP."

I don't blame the other dealers for not trading. They want to sell them for the most profit, and trading with other dealers is not the way to do it.

It sure isn't Ford's fault. They can't take orders for more '11 Explorers since they are booked. You can't order the '12 because the details are not yet finalized. A dealer not willing to trade is NOT Ford's fault. Would you blame a hotel if you called to make a reservation and the rooms were all full? And get upset when they won't book you a room in the new hotel across the street that doesn't have water hooked up yet?

So, it is either the dealer's fault for not giving all of the details or the purchaser's fault for not being reasonable with the demands. I can't say as I wasn't there...only you know for sure.

OK, so it's not the dealer's fault. It's not ford's fault.

It then means it is MY fault for not being able to purchase a EX in a reasonable time frame.

Basicly i am the one that is unreasonable. Other replys have indicated that before in above post's. Who woul'd have thought..........

Got ya

All my wife wated to do is buy/order a EX!!! She is not concerned with ford's internal politics/problems/supplyer issues/dealer alocation sytstem/ or whatever other problems ford might have to keep dealers stocked up and to feed the apparent demand for the new EX. From what i gather, that makes my wife demanding and unreasonable as well.

Let's face the facts as they are in the real world...most people that get the bug to buy a new vehicle want one NOW. Only a minority is willing to order one and wait for it to be build. The ones that can not purchase NOW, at times buy some other brand. Even imports.It happens!

Edited by Pete

It then means it is MY fault for not being able to purchase a EX in a reasonable time frame.

Basicly i am the one that is unreasonable. Other replys have indicated that before in above post's. Who woul'd have thought..........

Got ya

I just wonder how other unreasonable potential customers see it that way too, or if they just go across the street.

You could have ordered a 2011 Explorer MONTHS ago but you chose to wait until they were all sold out. Whose fault is that?

You could have waited and ordered a 2012 but you chose not to. Whose fault is that?

You could have purchased the exact vehicle you wanted from another dealer without waiting. But you chose not to. Whose fault is that?

It sounds like only 2 things would have made you happy - being allowed to order a 2011 or forcing the other dealer to swap vehicles with your dealer.

As far as ordering a 2011 - what makes your order more important than EVERYONE ELSE who put their order in before you? It's first come first serve. Blame all the other people who wanted one just like you.

As far as forcing the dealer to make a swap - dealers are independent businesses and Ford is prohibited BY LAW from forcing them to do anything.

There shouldn't be any blame here at all - just disappointment. You're the one blaming Ford and the other dealer.

• Like 1

Got ya

All my wife wated to do is buy/order a EX!!! She is not concerned with ford's internal politics/problems/supplyer issues/dealer alocation sytstem/ or whatever other problems ford might have to keep dealers stocked up and to feed the apparent demand for the new EX. From what i gather, that makes my wife demanding and unreasonable as well.

Let's face the facts as they are in the real world...most people that get the bug to buy a new vehicle want one NOW. Only a minority is willing to order one and wait for it to be build. The ones that can not purchase NOW, at times buy some other brand. Even imports.It happens!

Crap happens! Sometimes, you have to wait to get what you want, especially when something is in as high demand as the new Explorer. Had your wife really wanted the new Explorer, I'm sure you guys would have waited. My wife and I have very little patience, but when we buy new vehicles, we tend to order to get exactly what we want. When spending that much money, having what we want is more important than having it NOW. Hell, we've been waiting 2 months for our new fifth wheel to come in, and it will probably be another month, eating into camping season. Is that Forest River's fault? They cut back on work force when the economy went in the tank to save the company, now they don't have the staff to fill the orders since demand has shot up drastically. No, it just happens that way sometimes. We won't buy a sub-standard camper to have it a month sooner since we plan to keep it for 10 years. Another month isn't going to kill us.

You could have ordered a 2011 Explorer MONTHS ago but you chose to wait until they were all sold out. Whose fault is that?

You could have waited and ordered a 2012 but you chose not to. Whose fault is that?

You could have purchased the exact vehicle you wanted from another dealer without waiting. But you chose not to. Whose fault is that?

It sounds like only 2 things would have made you happy - being allowed to order a 2011 or forcing the other dealer to swap vehicles with your dealer.

As far as ordering a 2011 - what makes your order more important than EVERYONE ELSE who put their order in before you? It's first come first serve. Blame all the other people who wanted one just like you.

As far as forcing the dealer to make a swap - dealers are independent businesses and Ford is prohibited BY LAW from forcing them to do anything.

There shouldn't be any blame here at all - just disappointment. You're the one blaming Ford and the other dealer.

Very well said!

I'd say it makes her impatient not waiting for a 2012 and it makes you inflexible by not choosing to buy the vehicle from another dealer.

Here is what I think really happened. You wanted the Explorer but since you couldn't get one on your terms your wife forced you to get the Terrain which you didn't really want. So now you're looking for someone to blame.

Look akirby

We could not make a vehicle purchase " month ago " ( I know that is our fault. You said that in a ealier post )

We do however NEED ( not want ) a new vehicle either now or at least within 12 weeks (therfore we can not wait for the 2012 order bank to open and then wait for it to be build somtime in the future whenever that would be.)

Nobody said or assumed our order is more important than EVERYONE ELSES.

Not nessesarely blaming the other dealer. Certainly would be in ford's interest if they did, allthough understandable not to trade, .

Yes, i am blaming ford for not feeding damand. I cant think of anybody else to blame as to why there arent more EX's that dealers wanted in the first place on dealer lots.My dealer has difficulty getting more from ford. He has 1 EX on the lot.

I have a great " relationship " with my dealer. They are the only dealer i will purchase from. Where the one was locaded that fit our option list, is not a dealer i would give my business to. Not even a wiper blade. No way would i give them the sale. Nor do i think it is fair to just have my dealer to do the warranty work.

I allready have been informed that we are unreasonable and that it it our fault for not driving a new EX by either now or within 12 weeks or whenever.

What would have made me Happy is a new EX. As it turned out, it was to much to ask for.

Bottom line is this. Ford lost at least one sale and will never get it back.

Edited by Pete

I have a great " relationship " with my dealer. They are the only dealer i will purchase from.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it or not, but does the same dealer sell GMC as well, or did you buy it from a different dealer?

I have a dealer that I typically do business with. I just bought a 2008 F250 from a dealer further away that I don't like. Was it my first choice for a dealer? No. I bought it because they had the truck I wanted, and nobody else did.

Nor do i think it is fair to just have my dealer to do the warranty work.

You do realize that the dealer makes more money off of service and warranty work than they do on the sale of new vehicles, right?

You guys are nuts putting the blame on the customer because Ford didn't have the vehicle he wanted. Especially because they refused to take an order for one with him waiting for it to be built. The '12 order bank should be open as soon as the '11 closes with the explanation that early orders may take a little while longer because of the balance out of the older model. This is further proof that the order process is broken. Retail orders should take precedence over stock 100% of the time, allocation numbers be damned.

Chicago could put on a third shift to produce more vehicles but Ford doesn't want to do it. The fault lies solely on them.

• Like 1

I'd say it makes her impatient not waiting for a 2012 and it makes you inflexible by not choosing to buy the vehicle from another dealer.

Here is what I think really happened. You wanted the Explorer but since you couldn't get one on your terms your wife forced you to get the Terrain which you didn't really want. So now you're looking for someone to blame.

Well.......once again, you're wrong!

A Spin doctor at work. Cant believe you are wasting your time dreaming things up.

But it adds towards your post count 5777.....wow, do you live here?

You must be a ford employee, as i see you hanging around the employee forum.

Are you planted on bluovalforum by ford to squash any and all posts that involve the slightest criticism towards ford, or are you just acting on your own? Are you alone or are there several Ford Police persons on here?

Edited by Pete

You guys are nuts putting the blame on the customer because Ford didn't have the vehicle he wanted. Especially because they refused to take an order for one with him waiting for it to be built. The '12 order bank should be open as soon as the '11 closes with the explanation that early orders may take a little while longer because of the balance out of the older model. This is further proof that the order process is broken. Retail orders should take precedence over stock 100% of the time, allocation numbers be damned.

Chicago could put on a third shift to produce more vehicles but Ford doesn't want to do it. The fault lies solely on them.

Oh boy.... finally somebody that sees things the customer's way

True it is!

Ecoboost understands the problem too.

They are the only dealer i will purchase from

Yet the prefered dealer still did not get the order. While he would have made money off service and warrenty issues, now he makes zero and you didn't get the vehicle you wanted. So who won?

You guys are nuts putting the blame on the customer because Ford didn't have the vehicle he wanted. Especially because they refused to take an order for one with him waiting for it to be built. The '12 order bank should be open as soon as the '11 closes with the explanation that early orders may take a little while longer because of the balance out of the older model.

Ford did have the exact vehicle he wanted - it was just at another dealer that he didn't want to buy from. Is Ford supposed to keep one of every possible combination of every vehicle at every dealer so anybody who wants one can walk in to any dealer and get it at any time? How ridiculous.

The dealer could have taken the order and waited until the 2012 order banks were open to submit it. It wouldn't have made any difference.

Well.......once again, you're wrong!

A Spin doctor at work. Cant believe you are wasting your time dreaming things up.

But it adds towards your post count 5777.....wow, do you live here?

You must be a ford employee, as i see you hanging around the employee forum.

Are you planted on bluovalforum by ford to squash any and all posts that involve the slightest criticism towards ford, or are you just acting on your own? Are you alone or are there several Ford Police persons on here?

I only hang around the X plan section because I'm a long time X plan customer through work so I understand the rules. I don't work for Ford - I just don't like to see anyone blame a business when they don't deserve it, whether it's Ford or anybody else.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it or not, but does the same dealer sell GMC as well, or did you buy it from a different dealer?

I have a dealer that I typically do business with. I just bought a 2008 F250 from a dealer further away that I don't like. Was it my first choice for a dealer? No. I bought it because they had the truck I wanted, and nobody else did.

You do realize that the dealer makes more money off of service and warranty work than they do on the sale of new vehicles, right?

Wife got the Terrain at a GM dealer. Which is what she wanted to begin with. It was pressure from me to convince her to get a EX. We all know now how that went.......

OK, i guess i will have to tell you's..... Several of you have suggested that i should have gone to the dealer, which had/has the exact EX my wife wanted.

Unbeknown to you, i had a quite bad experience with that very same dealer.

( i KNOW...I KNOW.....must have been MY fault too)

A few years ago, i bought a Lincoln at that very same ford dealer.

After i took possession of the Lincoln, the phone calls started to come back in , wanting me to sign a new sales agreement.

Was a matter of the interest rate. There had been a low rate on new vehicles. The Lincoln i bought was a cab unit and i was told before making the deal that the low rate covered the cab unit too.

Make a long story short, i ended up getting my Lawyer involved. What they where attempting to do was bait and switch.

Now ya all know why i refused to go and buy the EX there.

Edited by Pete

Here is what I think really happened. You wanted the Explorer but since you couldn't get one on your terms your wife forced you to get the Terrain which you didn't really want.

Wife got the Terrain at a GM dealer. Which is what she wanted to begin with. It was pressure from me to convince her to get a EX. We all know now how that went.......

Bingo.

Ahhh, but Ford did have it...at another dealer. The customer didn't want to shop at the other store.

So, Best Buy is sold out of the XBox. Wal-Mart has it, but you refuse to shop there. Demand is so high, the next 8 weeks' supply of XBox's at Best Buy is spoken for. This is somehow Microsoft's fault that the consumer won't go over to Wal-Mart and pick up the XBox?