x-plan eligibility question

Shorty Long

That's what I figured. Much appreciated.

Ethically, probably not. But in all reality, there is a bit of a loophole. The x-plan rules state that the car must just be TITLED to the person the pin was generated for, or an immediate family member for 6 months (I believe it was 6 months). So you could get your own financing and what not, but have it purchased and titled under him for 6 months.

It's worth checking into at least, it saves quite a bit. I just ordered with x-plan I get through work, and saved almost $2k.

Ethically, probably not. But in all reality, there is a bit of a loophole. The x-plan rules state that the car must just be TITLED to the person the pin was generated for, or an immediate family member for 6 months (I believe it was 6 months). So you could get your own financing and what not, but have it purchased and titled under him for 6 months.

It's worth checking into at least, it saves quite a bit. I just ordered with x-plan I get through work, and saved almost $2k.

You can't finance a car titled to someone else. The friend would have to purchase and finance it in their name for 6 months, then sell it back to you.

And you won't save $2K. You might save $2K over MSRP but any car that can be purchased with X plan can be purchased without X plan for $500 more. In other words if you save $2K off MSRP with X plan you can still save $1500 even without it. From the dealer's standpoint the X plan sale is approximately $500 over invoice after you add the spiff check they get from Ford.

You can't finance a car titled to someone else. The friend would have to purchase and finance it in their name for 6 months, then sell it back to you.

And you won't save $2K. You might save $2K over MSRP but any car that can be purchased with X plan can be purchased without X plan for $500 more. In other words if you save $2K off MSRP with X plan you can still save $1500 even without it. From the dealer's standpoint the X plan sale is approximately $500 over invoice after you add the spiff check they get from Ford.

The financing aspect depends on states. You can title your car in one persons name, with a secondary title owner as the financier with the lien as the lending bank. (At least in Wisconsin I know we can, and I can't imagine we're alone there) There are ways around that aspect. As for saving $1500 off MSRP without x-plan, I will disagree there. According to market numbers, these cars, on average have been selling right at MSRP depending on the area of the country. So to say you'd be able to haggle price much lower than MSRP, a few hundred bucks maybe, tops. But either way, even if x-plan can save you only $500, add interest on the payment if you finance, it turns out to be more than $500, and it's still $500 bucks.

The financing aspect depends on states. You can title your car in one persons name, with a secondary title owner as the financier with the lien as the lending bank.

But the financer's name has to be on the title - that was my point. I can't go to the bank and borrow money against your car.

As for saving $1500 off MSRP without x-plan, I will disagree there. According to market numbers, these cars, on average have been selling right at MSRP depending on the area of the country. So to say you'd be able to haggle price much lower than MSRP, a few hundred bucks maybe, tops. But either way, even if x-plan can save you only $500, add interest on the payment if you finance, it turns out to be more than $500, and it's still $500 bucks.

If these cars are selling for MSRP then the dealer will NOT accept X plan, because that's basically $500 over invoice for the dealer (or $1500 below invoice). X plan participation by the dealer is totally voluntary on a case by case basis. You can't force the dealer to sell you a vehicle on X plan if they're getting MSRP.

But the financer's name has to be on the title - that was my point. I can't go to the bank and borrow money against your car.

If these cars are selling for MSRP then the dealer will NOT accept X plan, because that's basically $500 over invoice for the dealer (or $1500 below invoice). X plan participation by the dealer is totally voluntary on a case by case basis. You can't force the dealer to sell you a vehicle on X plan if they're getting MSRP.

Sorry for the confusion, but yes, you are correct, the financier has to be on the title. But that's a minor thing I believe.

These cars are, at least in a large majority of my state that I price shopped are going for MSRP. That is the biggest reason I had to order my vehicle to get the x-plan pricing. No dealership in the area was willing to part with their inventory for x-plan.

It certainly does depend on the area, I have seen about 15 vehicles (I've test driven 7 different cars in my 10 total test drives over a 3 week period when I was deciding to buy or not) come into Ford dealerships within my area (30 mi radius or so), and none of them have been available for more than a week to 10 days. Regardless, I still feel, even if it would require a bit more work, x-plan can still save money.

Sorry for the confusion, but yes, you are correct, the financier has to be on the title. But that's a minor thing I believe.

These cars are, at least in a large majority of my state that I price shopped are going for MSRP. That is the biggest reason I had to order my vehicle to get the x-plan pricing. No dealership in the area was willing to part with their inventory for x-plan.

It certainly does depend on the area, I have seen about 15 vehicles (I've test driven 7 different cars in my 10 total test drives over a 3 week period when I was deciding to buy or not) come into Ford dealerships within my area (30 mi radius or so), and none of them have been available for more than a week to 10 days. Regardless, I still feel, even if it would require a bit more work, x-plan can still save money.

Please don't misunderstand - I do believe x-plan will save money. I buy all my vehicles on X plan. But if the dealer is willing to order one on X plan then they should also be willing to order one for $500 over invoice or close to it without a PIN because the profit is the same for them. That's all I'm saying.

Please don't misunderstand - I do believe x-plan will save money. I buy all my vehicles on X plan. But if the dealer is willing to order one on X plan then they should also be willing to order one for $500 over invoice or close to it without a PIN because the profit is the same for them. That's all I'm saying.

I agree with you, but if a dealer starts selling vehicles to customers at x-plan, or similar to x-plan pricing without having the x-plan pin, what's the point of having that x-plan pricing in the first place?

I agree with you, but if a dealer starts selling vehicles to customers at x-plan, or similar to x-plan pricing without having the x-plan pin, what's the point of having that x-plan pricing in the first place?

It's not X-plan pricing. X-plan for the customer is $125 over invoice. Ford pays the dealer another $400 or so directly in the form of a spiff check for each A/Z/D/X plan sale.

Without X plan the customer pays $500 over invoice.

Get it?

It's not X-plan pricing. X-plan for the customer is $125 over invoice. Ford pays the dealer another $400 or so directly in the form of a spiff check for each A/Z/D/X plan sale.

Without X plan the customer pays $500 over invoice.

Get it?

I understand the basics of the program, but either way, it still saves consumers in most cases if they can take advantage of it.

Doc fee? Other fees? Restrictions? That seems a little low.

Some info on the USAA car buying service:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/car_buying_services_products

I looked into this option as I'm a USAA member, but I got a price a few hundred above MSRP. It does seem a little low for a car not even out for one quarter yet. But there are also USAA exclusive manufacturer incentives, and back when I ordered mine, there wasn't any USAA incentives, so that may have changed.

Some info on the USAA car buying service:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/car_buying_services_products

I looked into this option as I'm a USAA member, but I got a price a few hundred above MSRP. It does seem a little low for a car not even out for one quarter yet. But there are also USAA exclusive manufacturer incentives, and back when I ordered mine, there wasn't any USAA incentives, so that may have changed.

the online quote is different then the dealer told me, once you find your Dealer that is coupled with USAA, go there and get your Info... it was a lot lower at the dealer

the online quote is different then the dealer told me, once you find your Dealer that is coupled with USAA, go there and get your Info... it was a lot lower at the dealer

I actually did go right to the dealer once I found one that participated. And it still ended up being slightly above the x-plan. It may have been the options I had, or that I special ordered. But either way, I got x-plan and have a private offer from Ford for $750, and the another $500 kicker above any other written appraisal of my car. So I still made off pretty good.

X-plan is actually... (invoice (including regional ad fee) - 0.4%) + Doc fees UP TO $100 + $275 admin fee.

The great thing about it is that there is no haggling, and all fees are upfront and easily seen. That said, I got a great deal that came in less than $100 higher than x-plan once all fees we're taken into account. So x-plan may or may not save that much, depending on the region you live. I believe in SoCal, the Focus is in high demand, and most dealers are just taking off a flat $500 from sticker. In that case x-plan would be very helpful.

Edited by mysticbluebmw

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, the X-Plan documentation I got for my purchase limits the dealer to charging $100 for a documentation fee (if they charge it at all). The doc fee price preprinted on their sales form was $348.00. I also got a certificate from Ford for an addtional $750 off the price (it came with a broucher I requested on line) and it could be used with any other applicable incentive.

FWIW, the X-Plan documentation I got for my purchase limits the dealer to charging $100 for a documentation fee (if they charge it at all). The doc fee price preprinted on their sales form was $348.00. I also got a certificate from Ford for an addtional $750 off the price (it came with a broucher I requested on line) and it could be used with any other applicable incentive.

X-plan has always limited the Doc Fee which is a benefit that some people don't realize. It used to be $75 - now it's $100.