Explorer Due 8-6-06... Need a new car... Fusion or Edge?

spacescape

I'm 95% sure that I don't want a new Explorer based on the Fuel Economy it gets. It's a 2004 Explorer XLT Sport and I do love it but it's time to find something that gets better gas millage and is safe and large enough for our family of three. I was pretty sure I wanted a Fusion but I'm a little worried about having two cars (other car being a 2003 Jetta). I really do wish Ford would take one of the Volvo Wagon's and restyle it to be a "FORD" but keeping it in the Volvo class. The Focus Wagon and Focus 5 door just doesn't do it for me and kind of seems like a step down from my Explorer. So, that leaves the Freestyle or the Edge. Anyone have any insight on a Ford product that I should consider looking at? My Ford dealer did offer to order me an Edge and extend my lease until it comes in. When it arrives I can either take it or leave it based on the pricing when they arrive. They do believe that the leasing will be look very competitive when they start shipping (the fusion's leasing was attractive when they started shipping).

My list involves...

Fusion

Freestyle

Edge

Volvo V50

Volvo V70

Jeep Cherokee

G6

I know that there are a few cars on the list that will not have the space my Explorer has. Also, I know there is a SUV or two that gets crappy gas millage. However, if they price is right I can probably just turn my head and ignore that if I had to.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bill

Glad to hear your dealer is offering to extend the lease until the Edge starts hitting dealers this fall. It sounds to me like that vehicle would be your best bet. Of course, only time will tell when you can actually go sit in one and drive it.

The Edge should offer far superior fuel economy to the Explorer without too much loss in versatility. As for the reskinned Volvo wagon, well, that's basically what the Freestyle is. It's more or less an XC70/V70 with a bit more of an upright stance and SUV character.

As long as the loss of functionality isn't a big priority, none of the vehicles you listed are poor choices - except that Grand Cherokee. If you're looking for increased fuel economy, you're not going to find it in the Jeep, at least not to any margin where it's significant. Have you looked into its little brother, Liberty? Also, have you considered putting the Escape or Mariner on the short list?

Edited by NickF1011

if you want sedans, The Fusion, or the new Aura will be great bets.. the G6 is nice (same platform as Aura) but it just looks to blah... (IMO)

For the crossover utility..the Edge might be a great pick (combined MPG should be 25).. but you do lose 3rd row seats..

If you realyl want 3rd row, within Ford you would have to go to Freestyle or Mazda Cx9 for that.

If you do not need 3rd row, as Nick mentoined, the smalller Ford ustes are also good pics: The Cx7 or Escape/Mariner/Tribute However the escape trio's interior leaves something to be desired - you would have to wait untill January-February for the updated models.

If 3rd row seats there is one more choice. .and as much as it pains me ... the Rav4 is cheap)-ish).. about as big as the Edge (the small cute ute bloated up last year quite a bit) and it does offer 3rd row seats... the mileage is identical to Edge, with very similar engine.

Anyways .... keep us posted how your list is evolving.

PS: if you are really looking for Fun .... the V50 is jsut a great pick.. even with the base i5 the car has buckets of torque, and it is the same C1 chasis as the mazda3 and Euro Focus II .... it is simply a great package.. and the bet part is, it's hot as all hell. It is a compact though, so keep that in mind - the interior space will be less than anything else on your list (maybe except for the Escape triplets).

Igor

Edited by igor

Thanks... I love the looks of the V50 however they lease higher than the Explorer but I'm thinking if I show up to the Volvo Dealer w/ a "I'm ready to deal" versus over the phone/e-mail I might be able to get them to locate a NORMALLY equipped V50 or even a V70 for less than my Explorer XLT Sport...

I have 30 days to make up my mind. In the meantime, I will be heading over to Ford to actually Drive a Fusion. I might even load up the Explorer w/ everything we take w/ us (stroller, pack-in-play, toys, diaper bag, etc.) and try to cram it in the trunk of the Fusion to see if it all fits. The sales manager (who is a friend of the family and used to be our sales rep) told me I need to DRIVE a fusion before I make any decisions on a G6 or other cars in the running.

I did think about an Escape however, my sister has one and it just seems... well, kind of small... I will be loaning my parents my Explorer tonight until next Tuesday so I have the choice of three cars to borrow... My sisters Escape Limited, my mom's Sebring Convertible and my father's Grand Prix GTP (The one w/ a V8)... I am thinking of tossing the baby seat in my sister's escape for the BBQ we are going to Saturday and seeing if we can get everything in there... Same goes for the Grand Prix...

My Short List.

Volvo V50

Fusion

Freestyle

Edge

Grand Prix GT

Add these to my long list.

Volvo V70

Jeep Cherokee

Explorer

G6

Escape

Thanks for everyone's input.

Bill

bill one more thing - Mazda6 Wagon or Mazda6 5door ....

just go look at them.. they are smaller than the Fusion, but being a 5door or a wagon, the MAzda6 is much mroe practical... plus you would get a manushift, and they are quite cheap and good on gas.

Igor

Thanks... I'll take a look... I just turned down the current program @ Ford on the Eddie Bauier and the Fusion which gave me my first month lease payment free... However, I figured that my lease isn't due until August so I figure that it's a wash and I can try and squeeze a roadtrip w/ my wife and kid in the next few weeks to eat up some miles.

Also, when did the forums ZERO out my post count? I haven't been here since I got rid of my 02 Mustang GT.

Bill

I don't think the Edge is going to be an option for you. It won't be available in suffecient quantities until November and you won't be able to cut a good deal on one.

The Escape and Mariner are great vehicles, I would give those a more serious look. I don't find them small at all and I'm a tall guy. The Freestyle will give you the most bang for the buck with an incredibly safe and solid chasis, enormous cargo room, and a fuel-effecient drivetrain. However, you will suffer a bit on performance. The Escape/Mariner are far punchier vehicles reletive to the Freestyle, but fuel-economy is reletively poor for a smallish SUV.

Also, when did the forums ZERO out my post count? I haven't been here since I got rid of my 02 Mustang GT.

Bill

Happened a few months ago - whole forums crashed. Robert lost everything. :doh:

I do agree with Igor on the Mazda6. Love the versatility of my 5-door. Still drives incredibly well too. May be a bit small for what you're asking it to do though.

Happened a few months ago - whole forums crashed. Robert lost everything. :doh:

I do agree with Igor on the Mazda6. Love the versatility of my 5-door. Still drives incredibly well too. May be a bit small for what you're asking it to do though.

Should I look at the ZX5? I don't like the wagon Focus.

Should I look at the ZX5? I don't like the wagon Focus.

I think the ZX5 might be a little too tight .. it is a compact.. also the interior on the Focus is not the best... the MAzda6 (especially with iotional V6) would be a much more rewarding car..

that said, if you do not mind the smaller cabin, and only 18cu ft of carho space, Focus Zx5 is an awesome package, and the engine and tranny are still very good, the chasis is still wolrds ahead of most of competition, and you can't beat the price....

Igor

My list involves...

Fusion

Freestyle

Edge

Volvo V50

Volvo V70

Jeep Cherokee

G6

You have the Freestyle on your list but don't seem to mention it in your post. I've had my Freestyle since January 2006 and really like it. I drive it about 180 miles a day so comfort and ride are very important to me. I had a 2006 Escape XLT loaner for a day and after the ride to and from work (over an hour and a half each way) I never wanted to sit in another Escape again. I just never got comfortable in the seat and the ride was a bit bouncer than I would have liked. The Freestyle rides like a car. I have the AWD Freestyle with the CVT. The CVT takes a bit of getting used to but I've grown to really like the feel of it. Also if you want to tow, the Freestyle is no-go. The CVT will not do torque so the towing limit is next to nothing. I've been averaging around 21 MPG during the week commuting, but have seen as high as 24 MPG when there isn't as much traffic. The lowest I've seen was about 19.0 MPG. The FWD does a mile or two better than the AWD. I'm considering an Edge to replace my aging Focus (never been very comfortable in it either) but not sure I want to get a first year car. I waited a year for the Freestyle, but there weren't many changes/fixes between 05 and 06.

So, If there is only three of us (Wife, Myself and our 14 month old) how much space is in the Fusion compaired to our explorer? We don't have a third row in our explorer. "COULD" we get away w/ a fusion until next sumer and then when the Jetta lease is up get something biger like a Edge? Also, on Ford's site it appears that there is or at lease will be a third row seat option for the Edge. But my dealership says the Edge only seats 5 right now.

Bill

So, If there is only three of us (Wife, Myself and our 14 month old) how much space is in the Fusion compaired to our explorer? We don't have a third row in our explorer. "COULD" we get away w/ a fusion until next sumer and then when the Jetta lease is up get something biger like a Edge? Also, on Ford's site it appears that there is or at lease will be a third row seat option for the Edge. But my dealership says the Edge only seats 5 right now.

Bill

the cabin space of the Fusion should not be much less than the Explorer.. for 3 people ths Fusion will be more than enough ... I think your plan sounds good.

Igor

Also, on Ford's site it appears that there is or at lease will be a third row seat option for the Edge. But my dealership says the Edge only seats 5 right now.

Bill

Edge has no current plans to go three rows. And I doubt they will. It's based off the Fusion. I don't think there is enough room to safley put a third row in. I belive that is why there will be a Fairlane. That is a people mover. More so than the Edge will be.

Me, I'm planning on a Edge. Unless there is some serious reason after a test drive, I'd say there is a 90% chance this is my next car. Coming from a 92 Grand Marquis...

Edge has no current plans to go three rows. And I doubt they will. It's based off the Fusion. I don't think there is enough room to safley put a third row in. I belive that is why there will be a Fairlane. That is a people mover. More so than the Edge will be.

Me, I'm planning on a Edge. Unless there is some serious reason after a test drive, I'd say there is a 90% chance this is my next car. Coming from a 92 Grand Marquis...

there IS space --- the Mazda CX9 is based on Cd3 and will have 3rd row. The Fairlane had 3 rows as well.. although now it will be built on the D3 platform, the concept was based on Cd3.

but you are right as of now I have not heard any indication that edge would get 3rd row seats in the future.

Igor

Edited by igor

there IS space --- the Mazda CX9 is based on Cd3 and will have 3rd row. The Fairlane had 3 rows as well.. although now it will be built on the D3 platform, the concept was based on Cd3.

but you are right as of now I have not heard any indication that edge would get 3rd row seats in the future.

Igor

go to ford.com and click on ford... find "FUTURE VEHICLES" and build your edge... there IS a 3rd row option there... :)

Bill

go to ford.com and click on ford... find "FUTURE VEHICLES" and build your edge... there IS a 3rd row option there... :)

Bill

you are right .. they have it as "Future options" .. so they are considering it ... I would say the recentl bloated Rav4 with 3rd row seat stirred that change.

good find

Igor

Edited by igor

Well, took a Fusion SEL out for a spin tonight and WOW, that thing has a lot of pep. Not Mustang GT pep but very quick feeling. Next week I will pick one up on my way home and toss in the baby seat and see if it fits good w/ my mom and wife in the back seat.

I'm still seriously looking at the Edge but I'm a little nervous that the lease will be way to high when it finally gets here.

Bill

But really... WHICH OF ANY OF THESE CARS OFFER ME A AUX AUDIO INPUT... I want my iPod hooked up to my factory stereo... :)

07 Fusion has one as well as the Edge will have it.

All Mazdas can have it added in for about $70 in parts and some handywork (I have added an Aux input to my Mazda3 - but it is aftermarket).

Igor

07 Fusion has one as well as the Edge will have it.

I think you may need the Audiophile system. I don't think the base unit will have the Aux input. Would be nice if it did though. But the part I like about the input is they have it inside the center console storage unit. I think it even has a power point inside there. That'll be sweet.

I think you may need the Audiophile system. I don't think the base unit will have the Aux input. Would be nice if it did though. But the part I like about the input is they have it inside the center console storage unit. I think it even has a power point inside there. That'll be sweet.

Yeah I am not sure how it is packaged, but I saw it available... the Edge has it in the Center console with an additional power point - I have no cluse where it will be in the Fusion.

Igor

Anyone have or know how the Volvo S60 stacks up to a Fusion SE w/ a V6 (221 HP) both being the more basic models (Cloth interior, V6 or 2.5T, etc.).

I drove a S60 yesterday and what a great car. I liked the Fusion as well. They both leased pretty simular.

Bill