2012 Focus Engine Cover

Roger Eastman

Just received my July Motor Trend and was looking at the C-Segment test. This has been knocked around in BON Forums previously, but this is what got my attention : There on P. 118 is a pic of the Focus engine. When I first looked at it, I thought that they had printed the wrong pic, but on further study, I realized that the trusty 2.0L has a cover on it.

My 2012 Focus SEL has the bare engine sitting there ; no cover. Do the Titanium models have that kind of cover on top of the engine, or is my car missing something.

Not that I am crazy about decorative plastic engine covers, but if my car is supposed to have one, then I need to talk to someone at Ford.

Comments ?

Engine cover was deleted from Titanium models sometime in May. No detail provided by Ford. :angry:

I'll have to try and confirm this when I get my titanium. I was built May 27th, and ETIS build date shows June 2nd, and lists engine cover in the details list.

My Titanium was built on May 24th, and the Engine Cover is also listed in the FordEtis details.

Same here. My ETA was this weekend, so hopefully I will find out tomorrow or Tuesday. I leave by air on vacation Wednesday. Beautiful timing! :doh:

I'm not sure I even want my engine cover! Mine has it, but I would rather hear *more* engine noise, not less. The car sounds great!

Picked up my Titanium today. It was ordered November 11; built May 19. No cover. After that long to wait, I would have liked to have had the cover. But, I got such a fantastic deal, I didn't fuss at the dealer.

Anybody checked to see if there is a part number, so we can order if we choose?

BTW, ETIS showed that it would have the cover.

Edited by fusion37

Picked up my Titanium today. It was ordered November 11; built May 19. No cover. After that long to wait, I would have liked to have had the cover. But, I got such a fantastic deal, I didn't fuss at the dealer.

Anybody checked to see if there is a part number, so we can order if we choose?

BTW, ETIS showed that it would have the cover.

I will have the dealer obtain the "Engine Cover" from FMC and Install the cover on my car if it is not on the car when it arrives.

It was a feature of the Titanium when it was ordered, and it is listed on ETIS and being on the car.

They owe you the engine cover, not an excuse.

I will have the dealer obtain the "Engine Cover" from FMC and Install the cover on my car if it is not on the car when it arrives.

It was a feature of the Titanium when it was ordered, and it is listed on ETIS and being on the car.

They owe you the engine cover, not an excuse.

Generally, Ford only discontinues items like engine covers when they may cause problems like a drivability concern. (Excessive underhood heat may cause fuel percolation issues, this would be especially problematic with a DI engine.) But also it is possible that they may be doing this on the cheap as well....

Generally, Ford only discontinues items like engine covers when they may cause problems like a drivability concern. (Excessive underhood heat may cause fuel percolation issues, this would be especially problematic with a DI engine.) But also it is possible that they may be doing this on the cheap as well....

If it is a problem, then the dealer parts and service department should have a TSB, if it is just a cost-cutting measure, then they are still offered for sale at the parts counter.

Good points. Perhaps we'll get more info on this as time goes on. The engine cover makes the car look more upscale, but most of us don't spend a lot time admiring or showing friends a modern-day engine. They just don't have the same appeal as the old V-8s with chrome valve covers, etc.

Mine was built 6/3 and Etis says it has a engine cover.

Engine Cover - Under Hood

We'll see when I pick it up in a week or so.

my 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch has been unloaded from the rail-car in Mesquite, Texas. It should be at the dealer tomorrow. I will post if it is there, are try to find out why it is not there.

My Titanium was unloaded from the truck after lunch today. I just stopped by to take a peek and pick up the owner's guide and MFT supplement since the car won't be prepped before I leave in the morning on vacation. Anyway, my car was built 5/24/11 and does not have the engine cover even though ETIS said it did.

my 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch has been unloaded from the rail-car in Mesquite, Texas. It should be at the dealer tomorrow. I will post if it is there, are try to find out why it is not there.

My Focus Titanium Platinum White Metallic Tricoat with everything came in and was delivered at 5pm yesterday.

There is no engine cover, although the ETIS said it had one. I did not get the opportunity to speak to any of the Service Advisors to find out why, but I will when I get a chance.

That did not take away from the absolute sweetness of the car. It is great in every aspect. We put four people in it for the first drive, the DFW Metroplex temperature was 98 degrees. We set the Auto-AC @ 67 degrees and it almost froze us out. MFT & Sync worked flawlessly and paired our phones on the first try.

The windows get tinted on Friday and the paint/glass/upholstery protection will be done on Saturday.

I will post some pictures next week.

They just don't have the same appeal as the old V-8s with chrome valve covers, etc.

I couldn't have said it better. I remember getting my first Mustang GT back in '82 (an early '83 model 5.0 4V w/SROD trans), That was an engine I loved to show off! And it put out a whopping 177 HP!! :drool:

Here is the Ford SSM on the engine cover delete....no reason other than deleted stated

21897 2012 FOCUS TITANIUM MODEL ENGINE COVER

THE ENGINE COVER FOR 2012 FOCUS TITANIUM MODELS HAS BEEN ELIMINATED IN PRODUCTION AS OF 5/16/11

Hmmm. De-contenting already? Glad I got mine on an early order.

One benefit to us early adopters, other than being a guinea pig for certain first build items. it's amazing how they start to decontent so fast. Why spend the resources to engineer, mold, and produce the part to only make it for about 4 months?

They wouldn't - it must be either a material/parts shortage or it was causing some type of problem. I don't think it's just a decontenting/cost saving thing or they would not have done it at all.

They wouldn't - it must be either a material/parts shortage or it was causing some type of problem. I don't think it's just a decontenting/cost saving thing or they would not have done it at all.

I agree.

Actually, this is kinda funny. Some people that don't have the engine cover want one and I am now wondering if I should remove mine.

In any case, I wouldn't assume anything as to why it was deleted. It's possible that the engine cover was removed for a good reason (such as something heat related).

Edited by Kabigon

The list of option ETIS has for my car also lists an engine cover under the hood. I'm not sure I care either way whether it's actually there.. just thinking maybe it's a standard list item for that model and when it gets punched into ETIS, it says cover whether or not there actually is one.

Ok.. I'll go ramble rhetoric elsewhere now... :blah: