2012 Focus Titanium MFT Issues

tspindle

The maintenance event happened for the first time yesterday. We were nervous the screen wouldn't return. It did.

We've already made one trip to the dealership when the screen went dark, the radio stopped, no navigation. The dealer disconnected the battery per Ford's instructions to reboot the system. Took 1 1/2 hours to do the reset at the dealership because the battery is under the cowl.

We are making a trip to Ohio this weekend and really need a reliable Nav system. Here's hoping.

MFT locked up again while driving..... This time on Sirius traffic. My wife couldn't change channels, nav went out, phone wouldn't work. It did work on a rest and restart. Looks like the 2012 Focus won't be going to Ohio. We were so anxious to show my daughter & husband (Honda/Toyota owners). We'll be taking our reliable 2010 Ford Edge Limited.

MFT is getting old fast. I'd hate to relegate the Focus to our "in-town driving" vehicle.

MFT locked up again while driving..... This time on Sirius traffic. My wife couldn't change channels, nav went out, phone wouldn't work. It did work on a rest and restart. Looks like the 2012 Focus won't be going to Ohio. We were so anxious to show my daughter & husband (Honda/Toyota owners). We'll be taking our reliable 2010 Ford Edge Limited.

MFT is getting old fast. I'd hate to relegate the Focus to our "in-town driving" vehicle.

Took the Focus to Ohio anyway. MFT worked fine. More importantly, my wife in the Focus averaged 39.6 mpg driving a consistent 65 mph with AC on. I unfortunately averaged 8.5 mpg driving a U-Haul.

All these comments from real owners and not a single complaint about usability or ergonomics or being too complicated. Just sayin'.......

I believe all the complaints here and on other forums are all about usability, unless I confusing usability with functionality. I think the complaints about ergonomics and being too complicated were from reviewers and users who didn't spend much time with the car and the MFT system. It took me a few days, but it's not that complicated and I'm not all that electronics literate. At 55, I still prefer pinball over video games. I got bored with Pong and Space Invaders right away and never picked up a joy stick again. What I'm saying is, if I can figure it out, anyone can. I'm not the type who can read the manual and understand the system. I have to physically get into it, search, push buttons to see what they do. That's what I did and now it's easy. I bet that's the case with other Focus owners, it's a matter of playing around with it. And I agree with tspindle, it would be nice if it worked as designed.

I believe all the complaints here and on other forums are all about usability, unless I confusing usability with functionality. I think the complaints about ergonomics and being too complicated were from reviewers and users who didn't spend much time with the car and the MFT system. It took me a few days, but it's not that complicated and I'm not all that electronics literate. At 55, I still prefer pinball over video games. I got bored with Pong and Space Invaders right away and never picked up a joy stick again. What I'm saying is, if I can figure it out, anyone can. I'm not the type who can read the manual and understand the system. I have to physically get into it, search, push buttons to see what they do. That's what I did and now it's easy. I bet that's the case with other Focus owners, it's a matter of playing around with it. And I agree with tspindle, it would be nice if it worked as designed.

That's my point. Some people say MFT is too complicated because of the comments from a few reporters (who tend to parrot each other and jump on the bandwagon to criticize a particular feature on a car). I maintain that the people who complain about it don't take the time to learn how to use it and that actual owners who live with the system don't really have any issues with ergonomics.

That's my point. Some people say MFT is too complicated because of the comments from a few reporters (who tend to parrot each other and jump on the bandwagon to criticize a particular feature on a car). I maintain that the people who complain about it don't take the time to learn how to use it and that actual owners who live with the system don't really have any issues with ergonomics.

I agree. I have a lot of issues with bugginess and speed, which I'm hopeful Ford will have addressed before *too* long, but it's really not that hard to use, at least if you're just doing basic functionality. For the more complicated stuff, you read the manual and try it out and learn how to use it, like you do with any equipment with loads of features. I think those who complain about it being hard to use are the type of people who used to struggle with programming VCRs.

• 2 weeks later...

All these comments from real owners and not a single complaint about usability or ergonomics or being too complicated. Just sayin'.......

It is because the system doesn't work long enough to determine if it is ergonomically usable. My 12 Focus has been in six times for a total of 28 days for MFT related issues. Biggest piece of garbage I have ever owned. Have the newest 11131_product installed on the APIM now and it is still having issues with nav and staying paired with a phone (both android and BB) for more than a day without having to delete and repair.

I'm sick of pulling fuses, battery disconnects, and dealer/FSE incompetence/ excuses about this abortion of a product. Wish I'd never had bought the higher trim Focus. I would have been much happier leaving the tech package out of it.

Nice car to drive, plauged with junk electronics. Ford should be ashamed.

• Like 2

I got my Focus Titanium hatchback on Thursday.

Today while driving the MFT screen froze on its own while playing music from my MP3 player. The music stopped for a few minutes, and then started playing again but the screen stayed frozen until I turned off the car and turned it back on.

Odd.

No phone problems really yet, thankfully, got my Sprint EVO3D to fully work with text and everything, and seems to pair successfully every time I get in the car (Sometimes immediately, sometimes it takes a minute or so).

I have a Zune HD, and while listening to music through the MFT sometimes there is a 10 second delay between tracks when one song ends and before the other starts. It's not on every song, but seems to happen a lot, and never did this on my 2010 Fusion. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Yea, mine locked up on my wife the other day......she came out of the store, got in and no radio and a black screen.....nothing. Took it to dealership and dropped it off that morning. Dealership gave her a free loaner. Could have picked it up that afternoon but worked late.

Picked it up the next morning and they said they just had to update the software. Had it all washed and ready for me....my original salesman drove it around to the front of the dealership and told me he was sorry for the inconvenience and I drove away.

Got two miles from the dealership and the press the NAV button in the right hand corver and NO NAV.....played with it some and no luck......turned around and took it back to the dealership.

Service Rep takes it back to the garage and has a test run on it and brings it back to me. Shows me an exclamtion point in the right corner where the NAV is and says that means the NAV sensor or something is bad. They have to order another one on Monday since it was Saturday and will have to replace the unit. Radio works though.

Now I'm not sure if they are going to replace the entire MFT or what.......kind of got the impression that they were. Says unit will be here probably by Tuesday and will give me a call. They were all very apologetic and I assured them that I was not the only one having problems and that it is a technical thing that Ford needs to work out.

Since they are going to have it.........what is the latest software I need and how do I know if it was installed? A software version would be nice so I can mention to the service rep that it needs to have it updated while they have it. Thanks!

Do most of the folks having problems have Navigation? I'm wondering if the Nav software is causing most of these problems.

I have the Nav, and while the Nav hasn't messed up yet.. lots of other little things are going wonky. i.e. text showing up in the wrong screen (overlayed on something else), the Bluetooth-to-text thing is ALL weird (Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it will read me back a text from a couple days ago), the huge pause between tracks is the MOST annoying, as it's literally a 15-30 second pause when it automatically switches tracks at the end of one track, but if I hit the next track button it instantly starts playing.

Sucks. The MFT was *the* main reason I got this instead of another Fusion, but I kind of miss my basic SYNC setup now.

Do most of the folks having problems have Navigation? I'm wondering if the Nav software is causing most of these problems.

No problems with Nav. My MFT has not been updated from the factory install. Other than one Sync maintenance update while driving, the only other issue I've had - and this is a recent development - has been MFT dropping my BlackBerry's Bluetooth connection and not reconnecting without a Stop/Start cycle. I deleted the device and re-paired it and that seems to have done the trick. Otherwise, I guess I've been luckier than some with the whole MFT experience.

I've noticed that my MFT seems to be quite a bit more reliable if I don't have my iPod connected. I think I've still had it reboot without the iPod, but it sure seems most of the problems tend to occur when the iPod is connected.

Interesting. I've not had this issue with the Focus. However, during a recent 300-mile trip in my father's '11 MKX, his MLT started acting up while my iPod was connected. I had allowed the device to index at the start of the trip, my BlackBerry was connected and we were using navigation. At times throughout the journey, the touchscreen became seemingly unresponsive, then just very slow to respond. Other than this, he's not complained of any issues with MLT, so I'd have to peg the iPod as a likely suspect in this instance.

Oh, and BTW, SYNC traffic alerts en route with navigation in progress were spot on. Very cool.

Today I did a reset of the system through the on-screen prompts, followed all the instructions etc. to see if it would alleviate any of the issues.

Initially it seemed to fix things, but within a few hours the same issues appeared again.

Then I started the car (I do a lot of short trips, in/out of the car) and it wouldn't pair with my phone. My phone wouldn't see the SYNC BT. I messed with it for a bit, but had to get back to work, so left it unpaired. It still hadnt paired after a dozen or so start/stops so I tried my iPhone and it paired right away. My Spring phone is an EVO3D and had no issues initially (TXT msg etc working fine) but now won't see it at all. Could be something with Android.. won't rule that out as it's working with the iPhone (work phone).

The Zune media issue got weirder.. it had to reindex everything (2153 songs) took FOREVER, finally finished indexing (Indexing complete) but is now stuck on creating media commands.. and has been that way for about an hour in-car driving time. It plays music fine (No 15 second pausing between tracks) and SYNC calls up the tracks by name, but there is no album artwork showing and the bottom left just says "creating media commands" instead of the track title. Debating whether or not to reindex AGAIN and see if it fixes it.

So many random issues, I wish I'd stayed with my basic SYNC!

Interesting. I've not had this issue with the Focus. However, during a recent 300-mile trip in my father's '11 MKX, his MLT started acting up while my iPod was connected. I had allowed the device to index at the start of the trip, my BlackBerry was connected and we were using navigation. At times throughout the journey, the touchscreen became seemingly unresponsive, then just very slow to respond. Other than this, he's not complained of any issues with MLT, so I'd have to peg the iPod as a likely suspect in this instance.

Oh, and BTW, SYNC traffic alerts en route with navigation in progress were spot on. Very cool.

Yeah, I'm not so sure, anymore. I think it was just coincidence. I haven't had my iPod hooked up for a while, and I've had some problems recently, including a lock-up (although it did fix itself after I lost the Sirius signal, rather than having to stop the car and walk away from it, as with other lock-ups).

• 2 weeks later...

I started to learn the behaviors of my MFT system. Try this and see if it works for you as it works for me. It is at least something until the next update is out. This is based on an iPhone.

1. The system will sometime not recognize any devices through USB if plugged in before all the MFT system boot up. SOLUTION: Leave the door open for a few minutes until all the needles on the dashboard drops. Wait until navigation is finished loading.

2. If you have a remote starter and started the car before getting in, the car will turn off when you try to open the door. After this, if you plug in your device immediately (either through BT or USB), the system will not recognize it. SOLUTION: Leave the door open for a few minutes until all the needles on the dashboard drops. Then start the car and wait for the system to boot up. Then plug in your device.

3. If you leave your device plugged into the car and get out. The system will not recognize it once you get back into the car and start the system. SOLUTION: Take your device out every time you leave the car.

As you can see, the trick is to let the system boot up completely first (think of it like a computer). If things get weird, then turn off the car and leave the door open for a few minutes like above. Hope this helps.

It is very very frustrating and I hope the next update will fix these stupid issues which shouldn't be there in the first place.

Has version 2.11 showed up on Sync My Ride yet for anyone else? Mine still shows that I have V2.10 and "Waiting to Download 0 Items". I assume that means that 2.11 is not available on the website yet. What does it say when there is an update, I assume that 0 will be come a 1? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

I started to learn the behaviors of my MFT system. Try this and see if it works for you as it works for me. It is at least something until the next update is out. This is based on an iPhone.

1. The system will sometime not recognize any devices through USB if plugged in before all the MFT system boot up. SOLUTION: Leave the door open for a few minutes until all the needles on the dashboard drops. Wait until navigation is finished loading.

Very strange... mine's the exact opposite. MFT will -not- recognize my iPod over USB unless I plug it in before I turn the power on. If I try to plug it in after the car is already on, I'll forever get a "usb device not detected" message.

Odd how the exact same system can behave completely different like that.