elect. locking axle

Have a super duty on the way with elec. locking rear end. I've read that it only will stay in up to 25 mph. I think that sucks, there are time that you may need it at a little high speeds. wounder if that can be changed?

When would you ever be going faster than 25 and need a locked diff?

I live in the mountains of wv. travel alot of back road to & from work. it's nice to have that so i don't need to run 4 wheel drive traveling on 6" of snow & ice. also I don't want to lock hubs in to go up a 400 foot drive way when you can go up it with a good limited-slip axle.

Edited by jamesgang

I live in the mountains of wv. travel alot of back road to & from work. it's nice to have that so i don't need to run 4 wheel drive traveling on 6" of snow & ice. also I don't want to lock hubs in to go up a 400 foot drive way when you can go up it with a good limited-slip axle.

Back roads, 6" of snow and ice, I would say 4x4 is your best bet anyway.

And, FYI, you don't have to lock the hubs in on the SD...they are automatic.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I ordered the manual. Don't like the elec. for not working when you really need it.

Each to his own of course, I have a '99 F150 with the electric switch with electric lockers and have never had an issue with them. My father has an F150 that did have a problem, he says it was a vacuum hose that became clogged he was able to get it working again, the electrical components of the system did not have an issue. He did know how to crawl under the truck and use some switch to engage 4x4 and did this for a while until talked him into getting it fixed correctly.

I will say having a switch on my dash board that will switch into 4x4 "on the fly" has been a plus. At least a couple of times I have hit a corner on a dirt road and had the back end begin to swing out, all I had to do was switch it into 4x4 hit the gas and I recovered quickly. Also once on the road in busy traffic I hit a patch of ice on a corner, had I not been able to switch into 4x4 it would have been a multi-car accident for sure as it was I switched into 4x4 and brought it back under control instantly.

So I'd have to say I'm clearly in the camp that is all for the electronic shift on the fly 4x4, also I am happy with my limited slip differential, I've never had an instance when it didn't lock when it was needed.

I've had two that had problems. 1998 f-150 & 2004 F-150. not saying anything is wrong with having elec. shift. but I would thing 10 to 15 years from now mine will have had no problems. but with elec. shift, you will. And unless you live in garrett county Md. were I do. you wont need it as much.

Just ordered a 2012 F250 4x4 with manual locking hubs and the good ole fashion lever on the floor. The vacuum hubs on my 06' were garbage, as well as the electric motor to engage the transfer case. My thoughts... keep it simple and it will last forever.

THAT'S WHAT I THINK!!!!!!!!

• 10 months later...

I ordered the manual. Don't like the elec. for not working when you really need it.

I have the 2008 F250 with ESOF 4X4. It will not lock the hubs in 4 wheel low. Dealer is aware of problem and is researching a fix. It sucks when you are stuck in the mud and have to get out to lock your hubs.