My comparison: Midsize/large crossovers

Seventh place: Hyundai Veracruz

c80cd6f312a51c2651331ae83123b3e1.jpg

With Lexus-inspired curves, a smooth and quiet V6 and a carefully finished interior, the Veracruz is pitched as a luxury SUV that undercuts the prices of competing mainstream models.

Rather, it's an aging model that still has a few key strong points, but that lacks the overall design polish to compete with the class's best and that doesn't have a sufficient price advantage to offset its shortcomings...

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-seventh-place

Sixth place: Honda Pilot

2011%20honda%20pilot%20.jpg

There's a lot of potential in the Honda Pilot. Excellent interior packaging, aided by a usefully boxy shape, give this relatively compact SUV passenger and cargo room that rivals several larger competitors. It also has comfortable seats, pleasant driving dynamics, and reasonable pricing.

But in a class as competitive as this one, it's hard to get away with any glaring error, and Honda gave the Pilot a whopper: its interior quality....

Continued at link: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-sixth-place

Fifth place: Dodge Durango

2011%20dodge%20durango%204.jpg

The typical three-row midsize SUV is something like a tall, more stylish station wagon, or perhaps a minivan without sliding doors. Quiet, comfortable, pleasant and easy to drive round out such a model's hallmarks.

The above may sound more like the description of a winner than fifth place. And to someone who wants more of the character and capability of a traditional large SUV, the Durango may very well be the top choice. It also deserves praise for its premium-level interior detailing, ride quality, and noise suppression.

But some issues give pause to a wholehearted recommendation. ...

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-fifth-place

Fourth place: Chevrolet Traverse

2011%20chevrolet%20traverse%209.jpg

When General Motors launched its line of three-row crossovers in 2007, they were the SUVs that came by far the closest to a minivan's interior space without driving like a full-size truck. And they still are, even now.

But these models' interiors haven't aged as well as their driving dynamics and sheer space...

Continued at link: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-fourth-place

Third place: Ford Explorer

2f339fad59e40c8d494a4745b9e18066.jpg

Two decades ago, the 1991 Ford Explorer brought a new level of ride and handling to the midsize SUV class. This popular model stood out from competitors that were designed for utility first, on-road comfort second.

Today, nearly every SUV follows the Explorer model, with most taking an even further step away from heavy-duty off-road and towing abilities. But with standards higher than ever, the redesigned 2011 Explorer has regained the ride and handling lead; car-based for the first time in its history, it stands among the class's best for composure both in curves and in a straight line.

But two issues keep the Explorer from taking first place: a relative lack of cargo space and a maddeningly over-complicated instrument layout....

Continue at link: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-third-place

like every other scribe you too having a hairpulling session with the MyFordTouch Brady? Not a fan myself, the learning curve is steep and requires constant hands on to master. That said, OWNERS of the Explorer and Egdes with the system, by an by, ENJOY the system once they get the hang of it, and it becomes pretty intuitive. Up until THAT defining moment when it all make sense though, its a royal pain in the ass. And your opinion reflects that of every magazine writer...and I think thats reflective of the amount of time it takes to "GET" the system down.

like every other scribe you too having a hairpulling session with the MyFordTouch Brady? Not a fan myself, the learning curve is steep and requires constant hands on to master. That said, OWNERS of the Explorer and Egdes with the system, by an by, ENJOY the system once they get the hang of it, and it becomes pretty intuitive. Up until THAT defining moment when it all make sense though, its a royal pain in the ass. And your opinion reflects that of every magazine writer...and I think thats reflective of the amount of time it takes to "GET" the system down.

Explain how, even once the system is "gotten down," it's an improvement to have functions that you have to either look at to control or take longer to verbally instruct. I'm sure it gets easier to use, but there's nothing about the system that would make it better than decently designed conventional buttons.

Explain how, even once the system is "gotten down," it's an improvement to have functions that you have to either look at to control or take longer to verbally instruct. I'm sure it gets easier to use, but there's nothing about the system that would make it better than decently designed conventional buttons.

actually once things are set the important features can usually be voice controlled...ie climate...temperature 72...Radio stations can be requested etdc etc...the best is "What can I say?" and once one is used to the prompts it becomes second nature...theres really not many reasons in having to look at the screen...its a PAIN for sure though, even after showing the damn system to customers we brace ourselves for at least 3 phone calls asking questions....Bottom line Brady, people want features, more features means more buttons, so what is the lessor of two evils...I would say searching for a tiny relevent button rather than saying SYNC....Navigation....Destination....which by the way can be done on the fly....

actually once things are set the important features can usually be voice controlled...ie climate...temperature 72...Radio stations can be requested etdc etc...the best is "What can I say?" and once one is used to the prompts it becomes second nature...theres really not many reasons in having to look at the screen...its a PAIN for sure though, even after showing the damn system to customers we brace ourselves for at least 3 phone calls asking questions....Bottom line Brady, people want features, more features means more buttons, so what is the lessor of two evils...I would say searching for a tiny relevent button rather than saying SYNC....Navigation....Destination....which by the way can be done on the fly....

And a well-designed system accommodates those features without making it a pain to do simple things. It's quicker to push a button or twist a knob than to try and speak at the car to get 72 degrees.

The same system but with redundant hard buttons -- not touch-sensitive, either, but honest to goodness things you can push on -- would be perfectly fine. Great, even.

It was one of the biggest fixes BMW made to iDrive: redundant controls. The Dodge Journey, another vehicle with a lot of functions accessible through the touch screen, also has real buttons.

And a well-designed system accommodates those features without making it a pain to do simple things. It's quicker to push a button or twist a knob than to try and speak at the car to get 72 degrees.

The same system but with redundant hard buttons -- not touch-sensitive, either, but honest to goodness things you can push on -- would be perfectly fine. Great, even.

It was one of the biggest fixes BMW made to iDrive: redundant controls. The Dodge Journey, another vehicle with a lot of functions accessible through the touch screen, also has real buttons.

politely disagree there Brady...whilst you have to remove your eyes to turn a knob to get to that temp Ive said it...same with tuning stations...pushing a button requires a visual unless its one button....and that buttonsays sync. I hear what you are saying, but if you had the vehicle for a month solid, I would guess a lot of your complaints would get ironed out...trust me I was exactly the same way...still not a fan, but it is better than 3000 buttons everywhere, dashes were geting way too cluttered....tactile sensations can be good....can be...but todays cars have WAY too many controls, and consequently TINY buttons everywhere, as someone that wears glasses I would have thought you would appreciate the lack of.

There's a happy medium between the Explorer and, say, the Honda Accord in number of buttons needed on the dash.

couldnt agree more...sad thing its one extreme or the other. After saying that though, I CAN report that people that have had the MyFordTouch and sync in their own vehicle for a period of time, seem to be very pleased ( barring software issues of course ) but , like I said...its a LOOOOOONG learning curve, and scribes such as yourselves are at a distinct dis-advantage, and I cant blame youru for the criticism, its like being thrown in the deep end as such......

You can control the climate fan speed and temperature setting from the steering wheel 5-way control. So there is your redundant hard button control for temperature.

Same for audio volume, mute, media and track/channel/preset selection.

Dog-vs-Cat-Fail-Images.jpg

unfortunately Akirby, as Ive said before, ford had better get used to the crticism unless they send an instructor with the vehicle....one cant blame writers for not spending a week learning the system....its pretty overwhelming going in with blinders on....

unfortunately Akirby, as Ive said before, ford had better get used to the crticism unless they send an instructor with the vehicle....one cant blame writers for not spending a week learning the system....its pretty overwhelming going in with blinders on....

We learned that basic stuff sitting in the car with the salesman when we took delivery (this was the daughter's focus and even though it doesn't have MFT it does have MyFord and auto-climate control so the same control applies).

I don't have an issue with saying it's complicated and takes awhile to learn. But to give it demerits in a comparison by saying that it doesn't have hard buttons for controlling temperature when it clearly DOES is simply bad journalism. It only took me 3 minutes to verify that in the online manual.

I think I was very clearly talking about controls on the dash, seeing as I addressed the steering wheel controls separately.

You weren't specific and even if you were - a steering wheel button is much easier to use than a button on the dash, especially if your complaint is distraction.

If you can control fan speed, temperature and all normal audio functions from the steering wheel without taking your hands off the wheel - please explain how this is a problem.

There should be a different button for every conceivable function.

Also, what's with this nonsense of using 'letters' to represent 'sounds'? Who though that up? It would be much simpler if we just drew pictures to communicate. A picture of a dog would be much simpler than trying to 'learn' what 'dog' means.

I still believe that the Highlander's 95.4 cubic feet behind the front seats was a lie. I wish DC Car Examiner you would have actually measure it with a tape to confirm my thinking! Toyota probably moved the front seats all the way forward before they did the measurement. It doesn't look anywhere that large in real life.

You weren't specific and even if you were - a steering wheel button is much easier to use than a button on the dash, especially if your complaint is distraction.

If you can control fan speed, temperature and all normal audio functions from the steering wheel without taking your hands off the wheel - please explain how this is a problem.

Because you have to watch a menu that you're scrolling through?

MyFord Touch isn't a problem at all to use if you're sitting still. If you have to simultaneously drive a car, a standard instrument layout is simply the better design. And voice commands, while a handy backup, take longer to use.

I still believe that the Highlander's 95.4 cubic feet behind the front seats was a lie. I wish DC Car Examiner you would have actually measure it with a tape to confirm my thinking! Toyota probably moved the front seats all the way forward before they did the measurement. It doesn't look anywhere that large in real life.

Cargo volume covers the various nooks and crannies as well, so that would be an imprecise measure. When automakers are responsible for providing their own specifications that are nearly impossible to duplicate, you just have to trust that they're all using the same procedures to maximize the figure they can report.