They got my order wrong (what would you do?)

earlygrey

I placed a custom order a few weeks back. After finding out that my initially preferred color was no longer available, the dealer resubmitted the order.

Got my VIN last Saturday and the Window Sticker could be generated today. Alas, I find out that the window sticker does not include one of the requested options (the winter package to be specific).

Had a "discussion" with the sales manager at the dealership tonight. He is investigating and is supposedly going to contact the regional zone manager tomorrow to see if/how the situation may be rectified.

I only see a few options: accept the not to spec car that gets delivered, submit a new order and start the wait again, see if an equivalent vehicle turns up elsewhere, or walk away.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so what did you wind up doing?

Jim

I placed a custom order a few weeks back. After finding out that my initially preferred color was no longer available, the dealer resubmitted the order.

Got my VIN last Saturday and the Window Sticker could be generated today. Alas, I find out that the window sticker does not include one of the requested options (the winter package to be specific).

Had a "discussion" with the sales manager at the dealership tonight. He is investigating and is supposedly going to contact the regional zone manager tomorrow to see if/how the situation may be rectified.

I only see a few options: accept the not to spec car that gets delivered, submit a new order and start the wait again, see if an equivalent vehicle turns up elsewhere, or walk away.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so what did you wind up doing?

Jim

You may want to talk with 74stang. I know he's posted about his car arriving with an automatic rather than a manual, and I believe they have ordered another vehicle.

Yup they got our car in June 15 and it came in an auto, and I had ordered a Manual, they said they would sell me the Auto, or order a new car, I had em order a new car..... They didnt even offer me more for my trade or a little discount for them F'n up my order. I figure ill wait till after we take delivery and then talk to the Dealer owner or Ford Cust satisfaction dept.

I would have them reorder, give you a priority one and some more incentive ($$) as I would be gun shy to reorder with the same dealer. Out of curiosity, did they present you with the Dora sheet which you had to sign off on? At any rate, I hope the order get's rectified quickly for you.

Yep, those are your options.

Based on the time of year you will likely get forced into a 2012MY vehicle if you were expecting a 201MY.

It is looking like I will need to reorder. Thanks to those who responded, I was able to at least convey the request for a priority 1.

Didn't hear back today if the dealer sales manager talked to the zone manager or not. I guess we shall see how that affects the situation.

And just to make things even more fun, this morning the timing belt broke on my current car!

I would have them reorder, give you a priority one and some more incentive ($$) as I would be gun shy to reorder with the same dealer. Out of curiosity, did they present you with the Dora sheet which you had to sign off on? At any rate, I hope the order get's rectified quickly for you.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like my conversation with the sales manager yesterday.

And I am leaning towards taking the same approach as you. Don't think I really have that much negotiation leverage if I want the vehicle. I suspect they will be able to sell the not quite correct (for me) order fairly easily.

Yup they got our car in June 15 and it came in an auto, and I had ordered a Manual, they said they would sell me the Auto, or order a new car, I had em order a new car..... They didnt even offer me more for my trade or a little discount for them F'n up my order. I figure ill wait till after we take delivery and then talk to the Dealer owner or Ford Cust satisfaction dept.

It is looking like I will need to reorder. Thanks to those who responded, I was able to at least convey the request for a priority 1.

Didn't hear back today if the dealer sales manager talked to the zone manager or not. I guess we shall see how that affects the situation.

And just to make things even more fun, this morning the timing belt broke on my current car!

Glad to hear about the priority 1, shame they couldn't give you a little more incentive but it's understandable with a new product. Perhaps they can throw in rubber mats or a cargo carrier?? ;)

Oh, Murphy lives at your house too I see. Funny you mentioned that, I am driving a 96' Saturn SL 2 which is a family "loaner" during the week and wouldn't you know it the A/C just died... :censored: I feel your pain. I only hope that serious piston / valve damage wasn't caused in your case.

No major damage to the car, just my credit card!

Glad to hear about the priority 1, shame they couldn't give you a little more incentive but it's understandable with a new product. Perhaps they can throw in rubber mats or a cargo carrier?? ;)

Oh, Murphy lives at your house too I see. Funny you mentioned that, I am driving a 96' Saturn SL 2 which is a family "loaner" during the week and wouldn't you know it the A/C just died... :censored: I feel your pain. I only hope that serious piston / valve damage wasn't caused in your case.

Dang, Murphy must have come by and visited me a few times already. Since placing my order, my IAC valve has gone, and I'm pretty sure the throttle position sensor is on its way out too (which means I need a new throttle body). :ohsnap:

Let's lock the doors so Murphy can't get in anymore, and cross our fingers our cars get here soon :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did reorder, with all the options originally specified. Based on the VIN and window sticker it looks like they got it right this time!

The build date was suppose to be Aug 22 and the sales manager at the dealer believes it will be delivered the week of Sept 5. Fingers crossed.

And you are right. I generally keep cars a long time and so it was important to get what was wanted.

I would be so upset! In the long run, if it is a car you will have for a while, you want it to be exactly what you want. I would re-order, see what they can do for you $wise.

The stupid "first shot" at a Ford dealer ordered in my brother's Focus Titanium Hatchback with the wrong rims (and didn't have the sport pack) wrong color (was yellow, not white platinum), and it went as far as being the sedan, not the hatch. he got his money back and went to a dealer worth half a crap. A real inconvenience, and whoever the idiot was who put that order in needs to be fired.

Well, this certainly wasn't the smoothest process, but I finally took delivery of the car on Tuesday. The dealer did ultimately give me a good price break and a generous offer on my trade in.

Your brother's experience certainly sounds worse than mine. My commiserations.

The stupid "first shot" at a Ford dealer ordered in my brother's Focus Titanium Hatchback with the wrong rims (and didn't have the sport pack) wrong color (was yellow, not white platinum), and it went as far as being the sedan, not the hatch. he got his money back and went to a dealer worth half a crap. A real inconvenience, and whoever the idiot was who put that order in needs to be fired.