2011 Explorer Drive

Today, I was able to take a 2011 Explorer out for a test drive. I have been waiting for a few months to be able to do this, because I haven't been in the mode to purchase one and they have been going off the lots so fast that I couldn't take one for a drive.

I got a white Limited today with 20" tires. It was a nice vehicle. When I started to drive it I realized how wide it is inside. I also felt like I was looking over a large yard and couldn't really figure out where the edge was. I took it on my normal trip that I do, which includes highway, a place to feel it's acceleration and then on a windy road. I couldn't at first really feel it's power because there was a cop on the side road where I do the acceleration test.

I found the ride quality good. I found that I felt like I could ride in it all day. I did find a bit of body roll when I turned. The one thing that I discovered was the engine power was adequate, but it is missing the low end torque that I like. I found that after the engine got into the horsepower zone the power was there, but the low end torque was missing. The engine noise to me was very annoying especially when I was accelerating. I also discovered that with the A/C going and going up some hills, that the transmission had to downshift to 5th to maintain speed. This is telling me that the engine is "too" small to maintain speed.

I took the long way around and I put close to 50 miles on it. I feel like Ford has done a great job on it, but it needs to modify a few things. One thing that I would love to see in the truck is that they put the EcoBoost twin turbo V6 into it as an option. Also getting in and out of it wasn't that easy for my mother who would need help to get in.

I feel like the truck needs to mature a bit more for me to purchase one. But overall Ford has a good product, just needs a bit more refinement and improvements.

Today, I was able to take a 2011 Explorer out for a test drive. I have been waiting for a few months to be able to do this, because I haven't been in the mode to purchase one and they have been going off the lots so fast that I couldn't take one for a drive.

I got a white Limited today with 20" tires. It was a nice vehicle. When I started to drive it I realized how wide it is inside. I also felt like I was looking over a large yard and couldn't really figure out where the edge was. I took it on my normal trip that I do, which includes highway, a place to feel it's acceleration and then on a windy road. I couldn't at first really feel it's power because there was a cop on the side road where I do the acceleration test.

I found the ride quality good. I found that I felt like I could ride in it all day. I did find a bit of body roll when I turned. The one thing that I discovered was the engine power was adequate, but it is missing the low end torque that I like. I found that after the engine got into the horsepower zone the power was there, but the low end torque was missing. The engine noise to me was very annoying especially when I was accelerating. I also discovered that with the A/C going and going up some hills, that the transmission had to downshift to 5th to maintain speed. This is telling me that the engine is "too" small to maintain speed.

I took the long way around and I put close to 50 miles on it. I feel like Ford has done a great job on it, but it needs to modify a few things. One thing that I would love to see in the truck is that they put the EcoBoost twin turbo V6 into it as an option. Also getting in and out of it wasn't that easy for my mother who would need help to get in.

I feel like the truck needs to mature a bit more for me to purchase one. But overall Ford has a good product, just needs a bit more refinement and improvements.

What in God name could you be comparing the 2011 Ford Explorer too? I've driven the best vehicles on the market and have never found anything better than my 2011 Explorer Limited FWD V6. I was paid to test drive the BMW X6 Active Hybrid at $103,000, and I can say I'd rather drive my 2011 Explorer any day.

What in God name could you be comparing the 2011 Ford Explorer too? I've driven the best vehicles on the market and have never found anything better than my 2011 Explorer Limited FWD V6. I was paid to test drive the BMW X6 Active Hybrid at $103,000, and I can say I'd rather drive my 2011 Explorer any day.

Gary, I compared the 2011 Ford Explorer to my 2010 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer with the V8 engine. I haven't tried the others,so I will have to take your word on the other vehicles. But as I drove my 2010 today, I enjoyed it a lot more than the 2011 because I like the feel of the continuous power from the V8 and the extra 60 lbs of torque that can move a 4600 pound truck.

Gary, I compared the 2011 Ford Explorer to my 2010 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer with the V8 engine. I haven't tried the others,so I will have to take your word on the other vehicles. But as I drove my 2010 today, I enjoyed it a lot more than the 2011 because I like the feel of the continuous power from the V8 and the extra 60 lbs of torque that can move a 4600 pound truck.

How does more torque = 'refinement'?

How does more torque = 'refinement'?

For me for a car/truck should have enough power so that the engine doesn't bog down. It should not have to downshift going up a minor hill. The more torque for me means that the truck/car doesn't have to downshift to maintain speed. So for me more torque means a smoother ride because the transmission and engine aren't looking for the power to keep the truck/car moving.

I prefer to have a bigger engine than needs to be in the car/truck because the engine doesn't have to work as hard and so that it makes it a smoother feel.

For me for a car/truck should have enough power so that the engine doesn't bog down. It should not have to downshift going up a minor hill. The more torque for me means that the truck/car doesn't have to downshift to maintain speed. So for me more torque means a smoother ride because the transmission and engine aren't looking for the power to keep the truck/car moving.

I prefer to have a bigger engine than needs to be in the car/truck because the engine doesn't have to work as hard and so that it makes it a smoother feel.

Well that's just a personal preference and doesn't really have anything to do with refinement or improvements. Cars have transmissions for a reason - they're meant to downshift.

The days of torque monster engines are pretty much over.

The only thing that matters is torque so the tranny doesn't have to downshift. Apparently everything else is ignored.

If the Explorer's 6-speed shifts anywhere near as well as the one in my Edge, downshifts from 6th to 5th at highway speed are fairly common yet almost entirely unnoticable unless you are looking for them. Only shift that tends to bug me occasionally is the 1-2 shift when diddy-dallying in low speed traffic. Can be a little jerky at times.

And you think the new Explorer's V6 is noisy?? :headscratch:

And body roll? I can't possibly imagine it being worse than a 2010.

Under acceleration to me it is too noisy, but cruising along it is nice and quiet. The other reason that I felt it was too noisy, was because i had to get the RPM's up just to feel like I was moving. I like the feel of being pushed back in my seat.

The body roll isn't worse than the 2010, in fact I felt like it was a bit better.

When I drove it, as my original post pointed out, there were a few things that I discovered that I didn't like. I found that the distance between the door arm rest and the console, for me, was too wide. I didn't have a good place to rest my left arm and hold the steering wheel. I also finally had to move the pedals all the way forward, so that I could have leg room and not feel that the steering wheel was 20 miles away. I also felt that the brake pedal was too low for my foot and that I was actually using the arch of my foot to brake instead of the toe. All the technology was good, but it would take me a day with it sitting in my yard to figure it out and customized it.

The seats were supportive, but I also felt like I was sitting in a hole. I feel like the bottom of the windows are too high for me to put my arm out the window comfortably. With the seat pretty much all the way back, as I raised the seat it got me closer to the steering wheel, but then I felt like it was too high for me to work the pedals comfortably.

As I mentioned, it is a good SUV. Ford has done a great job with it, but for me, personally, it needs a few more years to "bake." It's not quite done and there are things that I hope that they put in to make it a much better truck.

Under acceleration to me it is too noisy, but cruising along it is nice and quiet. The other reason that I felt it was too noisy, was because i had to get the RPM's up just to feel like I was moving. I like the feel of being pushed back in my seat.

The body roll isn't worse than the 2010, in fact I felt like it was a bit better.

When I drove it, as my original post pointed out, there were a few things that I discovered that I didn't like. I found that the distance between the door arm rest and the console, for me, was too wide. I didn't have a good place to rest my left arm and hold the steering wheel. I also finally had to move the pedals all the way forward, so that I could have leg room and not feel that the steering wheel was 20 miles away. I also felt that the brake pedal was too low for my foot and that I was actually using the arch of my foot to brake instead of the toe. All the technology was good, but it would take me a day with it sitting in my yard to figure it out and customized it.

The seats were supportive, but I also felt like I was sitting in a hole. I feel like the bottom of the windows are too high for me to put my arm out the window comfortably. With the seat pretty much all the way back, as I raised the seat it got me closer to the steering wheel, but then I felt like it was too high for me to work the pedals comfortably.

As I mentioned, it is a good SUV. Ford has done a great job with it, but for me, personally, it needs a few more years to "bake." It's not quite done and there are things that I hope that they put in to make it a much better truck.

Nothing that you described would be fixed by letting it "bake". It's a new vehicle with a new design inside and out. If you don't like it then you don't like it but that doesn't mean it's wrong or needs improvement.

Well that's just a personal preference and doesn't really have anything to do with refinement or improvements. Cars have transmissions for a reason - they're meant to downshift.

The days of torque monster engines are pretty much over.

Yes they are meant to downshift when you want the extra power, but not because you need it to climb certain hills or a rise in the road. What I'm saying is that a transmission shouldn't be constantly searching for a gear to keep the car moving at certain speeds, like highway. I will have to watch my 6-speed transmission to see how it does at certain times.

Unfortunately your statement of the days of torque monster engines are over it totally true. For those of us "old schoolers" that like those monster engines and enjoy having them, we are being forced into small econobox 4 bangers and V6 with no good low end torque, which you need to get off the line. The rising generation wants the fuel efficiency cars and trucks, which forces those of us who have been driving for 20+ years to be in something that isn't that fun to drive. The new generation wants more technology and hasn't really found the beauty of just going out for a drive and enjoy the open road. I feel like have found driving to be a necessary evil instead of something to get out and enjoy.

Another pet peeve that i have is that people don't want manual transmissions anymore and to me that takes all the fun out of driving. I have more control over a car with a manual than I do with an automatic.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2

Mr. harddrive747 currently owns a BOF Explorer and according to his signature, has owned several thru the years. What it looks like here is that he wasn't crazy about the Explorer going to unibody. Therefore, there is probably no way he was going to like the new Explorer, especially when compared to his current Explorer. And that's okay. That's the risk Ford took when they decided to make the next Freestyle/Taurus X the next Explorer. Unfortunately, there was not enough Explorer BOF fans out there like harddrive747 to keep it going on its own platform. The new Explorer will probably pick up at least five new customers for every one BOF fan it alienates. Hopefully some of those BOF fans will migrate to the Expedition. If not, hopefully Ford will again build a true BOF SUV, maybe based on T6 that would be worthy of the Bronco name for the BOF Explorer fans out there like harddrive747.

• Like 1

Yes they are meant to downshift when you want the extra power, but not because you need it to climb certain hills or a rise in the road.

Aren't climbing hills and rises in the road two examples of when you want extra power? :headscratch: Unless the shifts are jerky and throwing you back in your seat, what difference does it make if it downshifts?

Mr. harddrive747 currently owns a BOF Explorer and according to his signature, has owned several thru the years. What it looks like here is that he wasn't crazy about the Explorer going to unibody. Therefore, there is probably no way he was going to like the new Explorer, especially when compared to his current Explorer. And that's okay. That's the risk Ford took when they decided to make the next Freestyle/Taurus X the next Explorer. Unfortunately, there was not enough Explorer BOF fans out there like harddrive747 to keep it going on its own platform. The new Explorer will probably pick up at least five new customers for every one BOF fan it alienates. Hopefully some of those BOF fans will migrate to the Expedition. If not, hopefully Ford will again build a true BOF SUV, maybe based on T6 that would be worthy of the Bronco name for the BOF Explorer fans out there like harddrive747.

NLPRacing, you are absolute correct in your assessment. I wasn't crazy about the new Explorer going away from a BOF and losing the V8 engine. It is a nice truck and Ford did a great job with it, but there are things that I do not like about it right now. My current truck has only 25,000 miles on it and I don't buy a new truck every two or three years. I keep them and when they get oh say 150,000 miles and eight years old, then I look at replacing what I'm driving.

My perception and feelings may change in a few years, but time will tell. I will have to see what Ford does with the current Explorer and what they have on the drawing board. So I got a while before I have to decide.

Another pet peeve that i have is that people don't want manual transmissions anymore and to me that takes all the fun out of driving. I have more control over a car with a manual than I do with an automatic.

Definitely, harddrive747. The lack of a manual transmission option is particularly disappointing on vehicles like the new Explorer with Ford's 6F automatic.

I replaced one of many BOF Explorers and my last was an '02 EB V8 for this new wonder. I'm sure the '10 Explorer is nice, but Ford knock the ball off the field with the new changes and the unibody. I most likely will never purchase a BOF vehicle again from what I see as the improvements in this Explorer. I had so much fun driving in the mountains while on vacation in June because the new Explorer could take those winding turns so fast and stuck where I turned it. No problems shifting for me up or down the mountains.

I will agree with Terry that the armrest takes some getting use to, but I'm at home now with the newly designed Explorer!

Definitely, harddrive747. The lack of a manual transmission option is particularly disappointing on vehicles like the new Explorer with Ford's 6F automatic.

I know it's not the same, but the 6F auto is a manual also in my Limited. I had some fun with that manual/auto in a Mazda 3 I rented and got better MPG shifting manually. Not the case in the new Explorer, it shifts much more efficient than I ever could for the best MPG. The days of the manuals are gone and even the dealers are not ordering them for stock much.

I replaced one of many BOF Explorers and my last was an '02 EB V8 for this new wonder. I'm sure the '10 Explorer is nice, but Ford knock the ball off the field with the new changes and the unibody. I most likely will never purchase a BOF vehicle again from what I see as the improvements in this Explorer. I had so much fun driving in the mountains while on vacation in June because the new Explorer could take those winding turns so fast and stuck where I turned it. No problems shifting for me up or down the mountains.

I will agree with Terry that the armrest takes some getting use to, but I'm at home now with the newly designed Explorer!

I agree with the difference between the '02 and the '11. I rode in my '02, sold it to my sister and her family, a week ago and the difference between the two is very evident, however the difference between the '10 and the '11 are there, and with the newest of my current truck, it wasn't a stark contrast. I'm glad that you are having fun with it. Continue to enjoy.

Aren't climbing hills and rises in the road two examples of when you want extra power? :headscratch: Unless the shifts are jerky and throwing you back in your seat, what difference does it make if it downshifts?

NickF1011, you are correct about that, but to me it depends on the situation and type of hill. For instance on Saturday when I was driving the Explorer I was on a road with a i would say about a 10 foot rise at a good angle for I would say 1,000 feet. I don't know the specifics. I was doing something like 50 to 55 mph and the Explorer and going up that, it had to downshift to keep it moving at that speed. I know that is about where 6th gear usually kicks in, but that small amount, in my book, shouldn't require a downshift.

Now this is not the best contrast, but an hour later, I was driving a V6 Mustang on the same section of road doing about the same speed. I could tell that the engine was starting to bog down just before I got to the part where it started to level out, but it never downshifted. To me downshift will cause the fuel economy to drop because the engine RPM's go up and will use a lot more fuel. So in my book, if the RPMS' stay down and you don't have to increase the velocity of the vehicle, then you save more fuel.

NickF1011, you are correct about that, but to me it depends on the situation and type of hill. For instance on Saturday when I was driving the Explorer I was on a road with a i would say about a 10 foot rise at a good angle for I would say 1,000 feet. I don't know the specifics. I was doing something like 50 to 55 mph and the Explorer and going up that, it had to downshift to keep it moving at that speed. I know that is about where 6th gear usually kicks in, but that small amount, in my book, shouldn't require a downshift.

Now this is not the best contrast, but an hour later, I was driving a V6 Mustang on the same section of road doing about the same speed. I could tell that the engine was starting to bog down just before I got to the part where it started to level out, but it never downshifted. To me downshift will cause the fuel economy to drop because the engine RPM's go up and will use a lot more fuel. So in my book, if the RPMS' stay down and you don't have to increase the velocity of the vehicle, then you save more fuel.

So you would rather the engine be operating at a "bogged down" low RPM than to just downshift to put it back into the heart of its power band?

And actually, in many cases fuel economy will be better when operating at a higher RPM within the meat of the power band than at a lower RPM. If that wasn't the case, every car would be geared to operate at 1000 RPM @ 65 mph.

Edited by NickF1011

I don't blame you at all for enjoying a vehicle with plenty of power. I could have gotten my Escape with a 4 cylinder and saved a little money and fuel, but when you start to drive on hilly roads especially in a heavier 4WD model the V6 is great. An Explorer with an EcoBoost V6 would be a riot for sure!

• Like 1

So you would rather the engine be operating at a "bogged down" low RPM than to just downshift to put it back into the heart of its power band?

And actually, in many cases fuel economy will be better when operating at a higher RPM within the meat of the power band than at a lower RPM. If that wasn't the case, every car would be geared to operate at 1000 RPM @ 65 mph.

No, I would not want it to be "bogged down" all the time. I'm just saying something that small the car/truck shouldn't "have" to down shift to maintain speed. I also agree with you on your point about fuel economy in the power band. The V6 Mustang ran fine at 1250 RPMS at 55 I think and it was a bit higher at 65. My Explorer runs at 1750 RPM at 65 mph and 2000 at 75 mph.

there is a point to making sure that the engine is in its power zone, but I don't like the idea of the car/truck searching for a gear all the time. I feel like that can put too much wear and tear on the transmission. As you know an engine at a steady RPM produces better gas mileage than one that is going up and down in RPMs. It is also, in my book, easier on the engine.

there is a point to making sure that the engine is in its power zone, but I don't like the idea of the car/truck searching for a gear all the time. I feel like that can put too much wear and tear on the transmission. As you know an engine at a steady RPM produces better gas mileage than one that is going up and down in RPMs. It is also, in my book, easier on the engine.

Again, if you can't really feel it shifting, I don't see what the problem is. Longevity won't be harmed by a few up and downshifts. It's not like it does it constantly. If that's what you're claiming, I think you're exagerating a bit.

Again, if you can't really feel it shifting, I don't see what the problem is. Longevity won't be harmed by a few up and downshifts. It's not like it does it constantly. If that's what you're claiming, I think you're exagerating a bit.

I'm not claiming it does it constantly. Just don't want it to do it more than it has to.