Whats a union?

Fatso

Might want to double check the information. I've worked at St Thomas Assembly for a decade. Aces claims to have worked there for 37 years, yet when he was asked to provide a single piece of evidence to support that claim, he could not.

I raised an issue about what the union was, and why people think it's good for the middle class. But no one has offered a rebuttal.

Perhaps no one wants to talk to an anti-union SCAB who lies continually?

• Like 1

I personally wasn't blaming either side due to the fact that BOTH SIDES ARE PUPPETS doing NOT whats best for this country but whatever they are told to do from their campaign contributors. Big business and the wealthy control this country for the most part. As far as why I think the Union is good for the middle class, it's simple.....I would rather have a FAIR contract negotiated on my behalf that both sides are obligated to follow than to rely on the kindness of my employer. As I said before, the company isn't going to give you fair wages and benefits out of the kindness of their hearts. They started their business with the intent of making a profit and the better the wages and benefits, the less profit they make.

As far as the firefighters that were mentioned, I personally think that anyone that puts their lives on the line for OUR protection SHOULD be paid very well. Is $100,000 a year for someone who risks their life everyday to much considering executives are making millions? Having said that though, I will say that Unions need to look at the big picture when they are negotiating. If the company or whoever they are negotiating with is hurting, that's not the time to push for wage increases. Just like the UAW did when Ford was in trouble, there may be a time for concessions. But without a union fighting for your behalf, when times are good and you want your piece of the pie that you helped get, the chances that the company is going to simply give you a raise are slim to none.

Please don't encourage the Scab by talking to it.

This guy hates unions and union workers.

I personally wasn't blaming either side due to the fact that BOTH SIDES ARE PUPPETS doing NOT whats best for this country but whatever they are told to do from their campaign contributors. Big business and the wealthy control this country for the most part. As far as why I think the Union is good for the middle class, it's simple.....I would rather have a FAIR contract negotiated on my behalf that both sides are obligated to follow than to rely on the kindness of my employer. As I said before, the company isn't going to give you fair wages and benefits out of the kindness of their hearts. They started their business with the intent of making a profit and the better the wages and benefits, the less profit they make.

Fair enough.

I would add that there are a few unions up here which could be considered "Big Business and wealthy". The Ontario Teacher's Union makes significant campaign donations for the sole purpose of pushing their own agenda. But as long as you recognize both sides play the same game, then I respect your stance.

As far as the firefighters that were mentioned, I personally think that anyone that puts their lives on the line for OUR protection SHOULD be paid very well. Is $100,000 a year for someone who risks their life everyday to much considering executives are making millions?

I object to this.

FIrst, I don't think firefighters put their lives on the line anymore than the vast majority of the public do. There are more truck drivers killed per year than there are firefighters killed. Same can be said about construction workers, or people in manufacturing. Not to mention that 99.9% of the population will never need the assistance of the FD. Compare that to the 100% of people who can't get through a single day without something that was provided by the trucking, construction, or manufacturing industries. So why is it firefighters can work 7 days a month, and rack in $100,000 a year? Especially considering 5 minutes outside the city, the area is covered by a volunteer FD, that does just as good of a job? I'm all for good wages to help families, but the FD is too far over the top.

Second of all, I do not think you can compare the public industry, with the private one. And I don't think you can compare the wages of someone who creates jobs/money (assets), to one who does not (expense). Just like teachers, I think people should be in that line of work because they want to give back to their community, not because they want to be rich. If it's about the money, then it's time to go.

Having said that though, I will say that Unions need to look at the big picture when they are negotiating. If the company or whoever they are negotiating with is hurting, that's not the time to push for wage increases. Just like the UAW did when Ford was in trouble, there may be a time for concessions. But without a union fighting for your behalf, when times are good and you want your piece of the pie that you helped get, the chances that the company is going to simply give you a raise are slim to none.

I agree with the first part, but no so much with the second, but do agree there is some truth to it.

• Like 2

Perhaps no one wants to talk to an anti-union SCAB who lies continually?

And Aces still can't answer a question.

Tell me son, are you going to call that a "lie" too? You call everything else a lie, even though it's been proven to be correct. I guess you might as well be consistent. Remember how you ran away from home when it was time to be called upon to serve your country, and you still run away now?

• Like 1

And Aces still can't answer a question.

Tell me son, are you going to call that a "lie" too? You call everything else a lie, even though it's been proven to be correct. I guess you might as well be consistent. Remember how you ran away from home when it was time to be called upon to serve your country, and you still run away now?

Why do all you armchair politicians left and right wing spill all of your posts into threads that are not "obamas failures" or "why republicans hate america"?? You guys should be embarrased how you argue with each other without EVER finding any merit in your opponents argument or at least agreeing to disagree. You guys are the perfect example of what is wrong with politics in america these days. You people are the reason there is gridlock and ideaological hate in this country today. Learn to listen and learn from each other hard heads. And stay on your own threads that have been going for a year now losers

• Like 1

Why do all you armchair politicians left and right wing spill all of your posts into threads that are not "obamas failures" or "why republicans hate america"?? You guys should be embarrased how you argue with each other without EVER finding any merit in your opponents argument or at least agreeing to disagree. You guys are the perfect example of what is wrong with politics in america these days. You people are the reason there is gridlock and ideaological hate in this country today. Learn to listen and learn from each other hard heads. And stay on your own threads that have been going for a year now losers

You can blame the current hatred in the USA on Bush/Cheney and the GOP agenda for creating this current culture. Add in the Tea Party that showed up like a puss filled zit on prom night........and.... Poof there goes>>>>> by the people for the people

• Like 1

Huh??

Fair enough.

I would add that there are a few unions up here which could be considered "Big Business and wealthy". The Ontario Teacher's Union makes significant campaign donations for the sole purpose of pushing their own agenda. But as long as you recognize both sides play the same game, then I respect your stance.

I agree with the first part, but no so much with the second, but do agree there is some truth to it.

• Like 1

You can blame the current hatred in the USA on Bush/Cheney and the GOP agenda for creating this current culture. Add in the Tea Party that showed up like a puss filled zit on prom night........and.... Poof there goes>>>>> by the people for the people

So the people who continue to stoke those fires are blameless?

Why can't both sides share the equal blame they deserve, and why can't we work on getting past that? Remember, when you point your finger at someone, three other fingers are pointed right back at you.

• Like 2

So the people who continue to stoke those fires are blameless?

Why can't both sides share the equal blame they deserve, and why can't we work on getting past that? Remember, when you point your finger at someone, three other fingers are pointed right back at you.

This thread is about unions.. Lying Scabs are not wanted

What is a Union? Really?

Collective bargaining performed impressively after World War II, more than tripling weekly earnings in manufacturing between 1945 and 1970, gaining for union workers an unprecedented measure of security against old age, illness, and unemployment, and, through contractual protections, greatly strengthening their right to fair treatment at the workplace.

The postwar labor movement targeted the treatment of minorities and women who flocked in, initially from the mass production industries, but after 1960 from the public and service sectors as well. Labor's historic commitment to racial and gender equality was thereby much strengthened, the afl--cio played a crucial role in the battle for civil rights legislation in 1964-1965. That legislation might be directed against discriminatory trade union practices was anticipated (and quietly welcomed) by the more progressive labor leaders. But more significant was the meaning they found in championing this kind of reform: the chance to act on the broad ideals of the labor movement.

You say you are an American, yet you feel that you have the power and the right to say what another should and can earn, how much is too much and too little. So please tell me exactly who your really are. We, the American people are living under a “concessionary” façade etched into our minds by the rich. Everybody has to be “competitive” even when they are earning billions on top of billions. So ask yourself this, what is competitive, and how do we define it so that it places more burdens on the worker and less on the company structure. That’s what they are trying to sell us on, this competitive trump word that ends our rights to prosper as Labor Unionist.

Competitive to what, who made the most in Billions? Here’s a thought, let’s start viewing “competitive” as in keeping your workers safe, ergonomically comfortable, happy and gainfully employed. How about “competitiveness” is targeted as the company that pays the most, gives the most to the public sectors, and employees the most workers is the one that wins.

What’s a Union, here is just a few items that have came to fruition from the Labor Union movement

• Eight-Hour Day (10 – 10.7 in AWS plants)

• Five-Day Workweek (4 day in AWS plants)

• Health Insurance

• Good Pensions

• Paid Sick Leave

• Fair Treatment for Women, People of Color, & Workers with Disabilities

• Higher Wages

• Overtime Pay

• Job Safety

• Paid Holidays

• Job Security

• Severance Pay

• Paid Vacations

• Family & Medical Leave

I’m sure I’ve missed so much more that can be added, but I think you get the point. Everything I’ve said can be found with a simple search or some time spent in the library. What I find depressing is the fact that no one seems to neither care nor give credit to those that earned us the right to share in these great accomplishments. I’m grateful for our IUAW and our Retirees that earned us these rights. I hope we as auto workers gain back the things we gave up to save the companies we work for, but I certainly don’t want the formula to cost us more of our jobs and the closing of more plants. The Labor movement has to have a new spark, before our middle class jobs are gone forever.

Be Good

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

Dearborn Stamping & DTP Body

Either are war deserters and liars. So run away like you did when it came time to serve your country

Oh look ...more lies from the Scab.....what a surprise!

If you have any facts or proof, then show them......otherwise fuck off SCAB ....this is a union thread and you hate unions.

The only thing you seem to be able to do is lie about others on the net....big man!

• Like 1

Oh look ...more lies from the Scab.....what a surprise!

If you have any facts or proof, then show them......otherwise fuck off SCAB ....this is a union thread and you hate unions.

The only thing you seem to be able to do is lie about others on the net....big man!

Where is the proof that I "hate unions"? You have claimed to worked at STAP for 37 years, but have yet to provide any proof that you did. As well, someone who claims to be as old as you claim to be, doesn't use the language you use. So really Aces, every time you post, you provide all the proof I need, since it shows everyone who you really are, or better yet, who you are not.

Keep running away war deserter.

• Like 2

Where is the proof that I "hate unions"? You have claimed to worked at STAP for 37 years, but have yet to provide any proof that you did. As well, someone who claims to be as old as you claim to be, doesn't use the language you use. So really Aces, every time you post, you provide all the proof I need, since it shows everyone who you really are, or better yet, who you are not.Keep running away war deserter.

What would we expect from a lying Scab ...except more lies.

Why would you lie continually here?

Does it inflate your ego?

• Like 2

What would we expect from a lying Scab ...except more lies.

Why would you lie continually here?

Does it inflate your ego?

I'll ask you the same question. Clearly you never worked at STAP, since you can't provide the most basic information about the plant. And clearly with the language we've seen from you, you are not the age you claim to be. So why are you lying so much?

I say what I say based upon what you have said. Just because you can't keep your lies straight, don't blame others for noticing and trying to hold you accountable.

You are either a war deserter, or a liar. Which is it son?

• Like 1

I'll ask you the same question. Clearly you never worked at STAP, since you can't provide the most basic information about the plant. And clearly with the language we've seen from you, you are not the age you claim to be. So why are you lying so much?I say what I say based upon what you have said. Just because you can't keep your lies straight, don't blame others for noticing and trying to hold you accountable

Same lies...same childish graphics and signature,,,,,,gets tiresome dealing with a child having tantrums.

Oh well...at least you will be gone soon when STAP flushes you down the drain!

• Like 1

Same lies...same childish graphics and signature,,,,,,gets tiresome dealing with a child having tantrums.

Oh well...at least you will be gone soon when STAP flushes you down the drain!

You guys are all losers. You have been debating in your political threads posting all your propaganda and working up a real hatred for each other for over a year yet none of you will budge an inch. Do you guys have no lives? 3/4 of you have no clue what you are even talking about. are you a bunch of retired blue hairs who have nothing better to do than torture the rest of us with your idiotic myopic political posts???? LOSERS

I'll ask you the same question. Clearly you never worked at STAP, since you can't provide the most basic information about the plant. And clearly with the language we've seen from you, you are not the age you claim to be. So why are you lying so much?

I say what I say based upon what you have said. Just because you can't keep your lies straight, don't blame others for noticing and trying to hold you accountable.

LOSER>>>get a life

Another loser..this ones almost retarded

Listen brother, I'm not looking to start a war of words with you but I get a little annoyed when I hear people say that the union is nothing more than an organization that we pay a monthly fee to in order to be employed. Could it be that just maybe you are a little spoiled? Now before you freak out, hear me out on this! I remember when I first hired in at Ford and I also remember how freaking happy I was to have such a good paying job. The thought that I could now have a good life and supply for my family was an awesome feeling. I remember telling the guys I hired in with that if they ever heard me bitch and moan about my job, I wanted them to punch me square in the mouth! Do you honestly feel that Ford Motor Company gave you a good paying job with all the benefits that you currently enjoy out of the kindness of their hearts? The very Union you are soooo disgusted with is the reason you have what you have. I may not always agree with what the Union does and I may not always agree with the direction they want to go in, but I will always be thankful for what this Union has done for me and my family. For you or anyone else to come on here and dismiss that while enjoying the benefits that you would not have otherwise is a slap in the face to all the people that have fought so hard. Now like I said....I'm not looking to have a war of words but before you come on here and dismiss the Union so quickly, take a HONEST look around and if you can tell me that you would be better off never having been hired into a union facility, maybe that sour taste in your mouth is from not having the balls to go out and take your chances without having the UNION there to ensure your rights aren't violated. All I am trying to say is that you can disagree with things your Union has done (or is doing) without making it sound as if the Union is useless.

For the most part I agree with your comments. But... there is way, way, more to a real UNION member than just the economic gains that have been negotiated for them. Sometimes a SILVER SPOON is great if presented to you, but it is our job as UNION members to make sure that SILVER SPOON does not get TARNISED. And the SILVER SPOONS are tarnised at DTP. THe way mangement treats their employees is a DISGRACE.. And the way the UNION representation, in the plant, is a DISGRACE as well. That is ASHAME. MAngement doing our work and nothing is done about it - very very very WRONG. Manegement threatning their employees - the UNION does not address it - "It's ok, that is how she talks to everybody", "You dont want to mess with her" What kinda a statement is that coming out of a UNION reps mouth. The word RECALL is sounding pretty good to me... Just a few of my thoughts. I would love to get some feedback.

For the most part I agree with your comments. But... there is way, way, more to a real UNION member than just the economic gains that have been negotiated for them. Sometimes a SILVER SPOON is great if presented to you, but it is our job as UNION members to make sure that SILVER SPOON does not get TARNISED. And the SILVER SPOONS are tarnised at DTP. THe way mangement treats their employees is a DISGRACE.. And the way the UNION representation, in the plant, is a DISGRACE as well. That is ASHAME. MAngement doing our work and nothing is done about it - very very very WRONG. Manegement threatning their employees - the UNION does not address it - "It's ok, that is how she talks to everybody", "You dont want to mess with her" What kinda a statement is that coming out of a UNION reps mouth. The word RECALL is sounding pretty good to me... Just a few of my thoughts. I would love to get some feedback.

I agree with you. You should be able to work without being threatened or harassed and there is no reason for management to be doing the work of the hourly and getting away with it. But I can't bad mouth your local union reps cuz I'm only hearing one side. From what I hear, assembly plants are a total different animal and I have never worked in one so I can't comment.

• Like 4