Trades Jobs

NeedTradesJobs

I hate to say it but I think its only going to get worse. The electrical mechanical thing is coming and that will further reduce the need for trades. I wish it was not the case but that's what my crystal ball is saying. GM and Chrysler got that in there modified contract we voted it down but it will be back on the table again. This time they offer a signing bonus and it will be here. The only way it would work is if we voted by ourselves but that's not the case .

Where are the trades jobs Solidarity House? NO MORE TEMP ASSIGNMENTS! Seniority employees deserve jobs!

temp assignments!!! you are lucky!! try being a trade and working production at DTP!! I just hope international address our issues and can give us jobs or some hope! i'm not going to be a dtp slave for much longer! i would rather cut grass!!!

I hate to say it but I think its only going to get worse. The electrical mechanical thing is coming and that will further reduce the need for trades. I wish it was not the case but that's what my crystal ball is saying. GM and Chrysler got that in there modified contract we voted it down but it will be back on the table again. This time they offer a signing bonus and it will be here. The only way it would work is if we voted by ourselves but that's not the case .

I'm hoping the only way that passes is if all trades are put back on their tools first. Getting all of us higher seniority employees back where we belong.

• Like 3

All your trades jobs went to sub-contractors.. hahahahaha

"HAHAHAHHA"...how is this funny?

Your laughing at someone at someone getting screwed over by the company...your very sad.

I came from the line, and let me tell you I have never forgot or will I how bad it can suck! I always did what I could to make someones job easier without making it to obvious to their boss.I never ratted out anyone for making their machines go down so they could screw their boss, or get a break, or for whatever. They knew I knew and I would tell them be careful if I knew their boss probably knew.

If your laughing at him because you think we are lazy and spoiled... just look at what happened at DTP recently. What is your chances of dieing at work today compared to a tradesman?

Combined voting (Trades and production) is just another way of divide and conquer. Why should a Tradesman get to vote on a concession for a production worker, and vise versus.

I wonder what production would vote if they offerd a $10,000 signing bonus on a contract that outsourced trades?

Same goes for 2 tiers.. it will be only a matter of time and they know it.

So laugh now...karma is a bitch.

temp assignments!!! you are lucky!! try being a trade and working production at DTP!! I just hope international address our issues and can give us jobs or some hope! i'm not going to be a dtp slave for much longer! i would rather cut grass!!!

With all due respect, no one is lucky that we have these "temp" assignments. It's costing all of us displaced tradesman jobs. Look at Van-Dyke Transmissions temp trades. They've been there a year and a half! That's temporary? Not to mention the fight to get basic contractual rights such as working overtime. Tradesmen had to go to the NLRB to preserve their contractual rights! Seniority employees deserve jobs in order of seniority. I'm not asking to boot any worker out of a plant but when guys are knocking down $120,000+ and higher seniority guys are running out of SUB there's a problem. Not exactly solidarity or equal sacrifice. I'm looking for permanent positions for all current employees or I'm voting "NO!"

With all due respect, no one is lucky that we have these "temp" assignments. It's costing all of us displaced tradesman jobs. Look at Van-Dyke Transmissions temp trades. They've been there a year and a half! That's temporary? Not to mention the fight to get basic contractual rights such as working overtime. Tradesmen had to go to the NLRB to preserve their contractual rights! Seniority employees deserve jobs in order of seniority. I'm not asking to boot any worker out of a plant but when guys are knocking down $120,000+ and higher seniority guys are running out of SUB there's a problem. Not exactly solidarity or equal sacrifice. I'm looking for permanent positions for all current employees or I'm voting "NO!"

Amen...Brother.

I know guys o-in my trades and others making 100,000 plus. Are you telling that they don't need more trades there?

As I have said before, chairpersons don't want to rock the boat and loose votes.

If there isn't a bump right for zone I'm voting no. If they bring back the gen then fine, but we know that's not happening.

Why should I sit out when from a closed plant while twice as low seniority in zone work?

Seniority is the foundation of plant and comp;any life.

What trades have the most working production? Are there alot of pipefitter, millwrights and machine repair out there in production land? I do think it would be only fair if they would allow in zone bumping for tradesman. I would like to think the UAW knows it dropped the ball on this one and will make things right this time around. At the very least, pay these guys their trade wages while they wait for a spot like at GM and Chrysler. Yes, I know they tried to add this to the last mods but lets face it, that turd was DOA.

If there aren't any trades jobs opened up this contract I think all tradesmen need to consider the possibility of breaking away from the UAW. I know it sounds crazy on the onset, and I also know getting us all to actually unite is far fetched, but we are the voting minority as it stands now and we need to regain the power we once had. I'm not talking about being militant or trying to hurt our employer, I'm simply suggesting we band together under a different union so that we can bargain on our own behalf as a group of intelligent and skilled men and women. There is power in unity. The current leaders know that. That's why the cater to the production votes. They know that's where the majority is. True solidarity will make us stronger.

• Like 1

with all respect to you and your point. it's NO fun working production at DTP, verses my trade.

Man, I don't think you'll see that. You'll probably see more buy-outs before you see that. I don't see anyone in Ford or the IUAW that has the desire to deal with that. Just my opinion.

You are correct. The sub took a vote on zone seniority months ago and it was defeated unanimously.

You are correct. The sub took a vote on zone seniority months ago and it was defeated unanimously.

This vote was all about getting reelected. Imagine them going back and telling there lower seniority members that zone seniority will be in the next contract. Political suicide. It had nothing to do with doing the right thing. Zone seniority would have been a change for the better. It is real easy to be on the inside looking out. Try being on the outside looking in. Your plant is closed so now none of the locals want you so they come up with this long term temp shit. The locals seam to be running there own show anymore. I can remember when the international would call a local up and tell them that they would take x amount of trades in and that would be the end of it. The International need to grow a set and start doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Yes what a joke. There is MW's at Saline that made 140 to 170 last year. But yet we have MW's about ready to run out of Tap. Solidarity yea right.

Yes what a joke. There is MW's at Saline that made 140 to 170 last year. But yet we have MW's about ready to run out of Tap. Solidarity yea right.

When I was in production at saline I asked kanitz if he was going to need any machine repair. He looked me dead in the eye and said hell no, I'm trying to keep my guys on 7-12's. That's union for ya.

I have a buddy that's a "temp" millwright at Van Dyke and he's been there 1 1/2 years. He wasn't allowed to work OT for the first year. Now, after they filed an NLRB complaint, they have been able to work OT. They are being told that the "temps" are getting layer off next month right before the contract even though there's lots of work still to be done. He was told, "our guys will finish it up on overtime." Nice! Put guys on the streets to create more OT for the guys there. I agree with the person who said the IUAW needs to grow a set and demand our tradesmen back to work. I wouldn't negotiate at all until they are back to work. The protectionism in the individual locals is sickening. Solidarity is a thing of the past. I call for all displaced tradesmen to meet me out front of Solidarity House the day after the contract is ratified if we don't have jobs. We might as well spend our time off picketing those guys!

I agree with the person who said the IUAW needs to grow a set and demand our tradesmen back to work. I wouldn't negotiate at all until they are back to work. The protectionism in the individual locals is sickening. Solidarity is a thing of the past. I call for all displaced tradesmen to meet me out front of Solidarity House the day after the contract is ratified if we don't have jobs. We might as well spend our time off picketing those guys!

Look I dont want to demean you but I also have friends (previously coworkers) working temp at MAP and Vandyke. If it wasnt for the International pushing to get those guys loaned they would be in production or ILO and contractors would be in there doing that work.

The only reason they are loaned there is that work would otherwise be done by contractors which means they are on scrap and construction jobs that in fact are temporary. There is no contractual language or mechanism that gives the UAW the ability to force the companies hand in make them take extra trades and put them to work at different locations.

I think the IUAW acted responsibly stopping contractors and forcing them to take our laid off trades. Last I heard there were over 100 trades working on temporary construction jobs company wide, so the IUAW is being proactive

With so many reduced trades in production, ILO and working temporary, Im sure the negotiating team is working to get more product commitments and adding shifts to MAP, KTP, LAP, CAP, AAI etc. and bring back trades on a permanent basis.

Edited by Skilled1
  • Like 2

Look I don’t want to demean you but I also have friends (previously coworkers) working temp at MAP and Vandyke. If it wasn’t for the International pushing to get those guys loaned they would be in production or ILO and contractors would be in there doing that work.

The only reason they are loaned there is that work would otherwise be done by contractors which means they are on scrap and construction jobs that in fact are temporary. There is no contractual language or mechanism that gives the UAW the ability to force the companies hand in make them take extra trades and put them to work at different locations.

I think the IUAW acted responsibly stopping contractors and forcing them to take our laid off trades. Last I heard there were over 100 trades working on temporary construction jobs company wide, so the IUAW is being proactive

With so many reduced trades in production, ILO and working temporary, Im sure the negotiating team is working to get more product commitments and adding shifts to MAP, KTP, LAP, CAP, AAI etc. and bring back trades on a permanent basis.

Ok, I appreciate the temp jobs. That doesn't mean that it's ok to allow local chairmen to keep from adding trades in their buildings. I'm not sure who suggested the company was keeping us out but it wasn't me. It's our own union keeping us out of these plants because they don't want people coming in and having higher seniority than their current guys. There are tradesmen with well over 10 years in temp positions or laid off while guys with 5 or 6 years are working in permanent positions. When Wixom was closing (and other plants as well) tradesmen with seniority were not given opportunities to get out. Instead they sent low seniority guys to other plants in permanent positions. The high seniority guys that had to stay until the end got screwed and ended up in GEN and then on layoff. Then some went in to ants as "temps", got no OT, while those lower seniority guys from their old plant were there in perm positions and allowed all their contractual rights. I'm not saying the company loves us but our union has created most of this mess.

Ok, I appreciate the temp jobs. That doesn't mean that it's ok to allow local chairmen to keep from adding trades in their buildings. I'm not sure who suggested the company was keeping us out but it wasn't me. It's our own union keeping us out of these plants because they don't want people coming in and having higher seniority than their current guys. There are tradesmen with well over 10 years in temp positions or laid off while guys with 5 or 6 years are working in permanent positions. When Wixom was closing (and other plants as well) tradesmen with seniority were not given opportunities to get out. Instead they sent low seniority guys to other plants in permanent positions. The high seniority guys that had to stay until the end got screwed and ended up in GEN and then on layoff. Then some went in to ants as "temps", got no OT, while those lower seniority guys from their old plant were there in perm positions and allowed all their contractual rights. I'm not saying the company loves us but our union has created most of this mess.

With people out there with so much info on the wisdom of the IUAW, maybe someone could share when the IUAW is going to meet on the appeal that's been sitting with IEB for 2 months now.

Still waiting to hear whether the use of production operators as skilled trades is legal at KTP .... mind you they have only been using the production people as temp skilled trades 1 yr and counting. What would that year have done for a laid off trade?

Edited by mulewrong
  • Like 1

With people out there with so much info on the wisdom of the IUAW, maybe someone could share when the IUAW is going to meet on the appeal that's been sitting with IEB for 2 months now.

Still waiting to hear whether the use of production operators as skilled trades is legal at KTP .... mind you they have only been using the production people as temp skilled trades 1 yr and counting. What would that year have done for a laid off trade?

Not to discount the importance of getting trades back to there skilled classification but last I heard there are 500 trades on ILO, working in production and working temp skilled.

KTP using 2 production as temp skilled trades or posting for 2 gets us down to 498 trades.

See what I mean.

The problem is bigger than that. Its not the locals or the IUAW, Its a investment issue. We need more products to fill our plants to full capacity. Its the only way to get trades back _ More products_more investments_fill our plants.

The government says our wages are now competitive and we need investments in our plants to add more shifts--------- I feel for the trades without a home and hopefully our current competitive rates get us investments like the last agreement

• Like 2

Those guys were forced back to the line after shutdown...so they are no longer acting as skilled trades

• Like 2

Not to discount the importance of getting trades back to there skilled classification but last I heard there are 500 trades on ILO, working in production and working temp skilled.

KTP using 2 production as temp skilled trades or posting for 2 gets us down to 498 trades.

See what I mean.

The problem is bigger than that. Its not the locals or the IUAW, Its a investment issue. We need more products to fill our plants to full capacity. Its the only way to get trades back _ More products_more investments_fill our plants.

The government says our wages are now competitive and we need investments in our plants to add more shifts--------- I feel for the trades without a home and hopefully our current competitive rates get us investments like the last agreement

We have to start some where, 2 jobs here 1 there it adds up.... And these people were production that never held trades seniority ever....so did this make 502 trades on ILO?

Look I don’t want to demean you but I also have friends (previously coworkers) working temp at MAP and Vandyke. If it wasn’t for the International pushing to get those guys loaned they would be in production or ILO and contractors would be in there doing that work.

You are wrong not all of the temp's are on construction at MAP. Some of the temp's are filling in on permanent jobs (covering production).

The international never stepped in when the temps were being treated like shit at Vandyke. They had to take it to the NLRB to make sure that they were treated equally. The fallout of winning that with the NLRB was that any temp working in a ford plant would now get over time along side the permanent employes. Shortly after the NLRB ruling Livonia transmission laid off there temp's. They were not going to share OT with temp's. Isa is tearing out south body at Wayne with contractors. They refused to bring in temp's because of having to share the OT. Were was the international here? They know what is going on but refuse to step in.

You are right there is no contractual language to bring in extra people into a plant be it trades or production. But it has happened in the past.

There is opening at some of these plants but they are using contractors or temp's to fill the slots. That is a fact. Can they place all the temp's. No. But some. Yes.

Edited by whiteford