VD Trans Layoffs

NeedTradesJobs

It's not about unity and solidarity, it's that

If you were not comfortable taking a temp job

Assignment then you should have opted to be laid off

You knew the rules before you signed the posting, it doesn't

make it right but you can't bitch when you agreed

to the terms.

Seems people always throwing the UNITY & SOLIDARITY card around when certain situations are affecting them directly "wouldn't you say" Gen? When certain individuals were working 7-12's and people put on layoff/ gen pool even plant closures everything was fine, reality is finally sinking in for many that most trades are on the way out and that "other UNIT" is looking for UNITY AND SOLIDARITY. Did they really think the company was going to sit back and continue paying 6 figures for these jobs much longer especially when 2/3 thirds of the big 3 were not. I dont think sooooo.

• Like 3

Nothing new in the contract. The company is sending them back because they've eaten up the contractual time they can work here without becoming permanent. Its not the unions fault, frankly they don't hold the power to do this. The company made the choice and that's how it works out. We've picked up trades in the areas outside of construction when we needed them including a bunch from Utica and 7 from Indy. With the construction winding down and production starting runoffs they don't need as many workers.

The stories seem quite different depending on what side of the fence your standing on. All plants have taken protectionist stances in there plants. Locals have done everything they can to protect there membership. It's kind of hard to argue with this when your working in a ford plant with a good future. I kind of blame the international for not doing more to replace tradesmen at plants who have lost alot in the past few years. VD used to have a ton more M/W's than they do now. I am not saying get back to that number just somewhere in between. The company if fine with working tons of overtime and not hiring anyone new.

All I can say is put a different pair of shoes on and see how the view is from there. :shades:

• Like 2

Nothing new in the contract. The company is sending them back because they've eaten up the contractual time they can work here without becoming permanent. Its not the unions fault, frankly they don't hold the power to do this. The company made the choice and that's how it works out. We've picked up trades in the areas outside of construction when we needed them including a bunch from Utica and 7 from Indy. With the construction winding down and production starting runoffs they don't need as many workers.

There's nothing in the contract that allows a temporary assigned Ford seniority employee to become permanent.

• Like 6

There's nothing in the contract that allows a temporary assigned Ford seniority employee to become permanent.

True, no time limits on Temps, No seniority violations as some on here would like us to believe and No violation of the agreement as far as I can see.

What fixes all of the problems is new work in our plants.

• Like 5

Brother,

I'm not a millwright and i don't work in construction. My trade has picked up half its current workforce from other plants that were closing because us hourly guys wanted them. Hourly pushed the union and company to hire more and it cost us, the VD employees in the crib 1000-1500 hours over the past 2 years. So i'm lucky to be in a good plant and willing to share that luck. And i moved down the seniority ladder in my trade.

But how do you know what the plant can carry after the construction is done? Or even what management is willing to carry? You want them to add millwrights based on what exactly? Do you know what the work will be available?

Sure there is some protectionism and yet that's nothing more than others on this thread are asking for. I guess protectionism is just like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. One side says "OUR PLANT" the other "Seniority" I can see rational thoughtful arguments for both and ones that aren't so rational for both.

Either way we are getting off point to a degree. The issue that matters is who made the decision to get rid of temps and why? For all the claims on here about how weak and unable to get things done that is put on the leadership at VD on here you and others suddenly want to believe that the Local got you kicked out? Politics is funny that way.

I haven't see anyone on here thanking the Van Dyke Committee for forcing the company to keep out contractors and take the many ILO trades and employ them in their trade making their skilled trades rate of pay.

• Like 1

I haven't see anyone on here thanking the Van Dyke Committee for forcing the company to keep out contractors and take the many ILO trades and employ them in their trade making their skilled trades rate of pay.

Very well said. Ford Motor Company/UAW skilled trades performed 95% of this project along with working layed off trades for over the last year and a half making more money than some of these guys have ever seen before. I think all the construction trades made out very well for the amount of bitching we did to keep the work in house. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Isn't Van Dyke the local that tryed to keep the temps off the overtime list ?

• Like 1

Brother,

I'm not a millwright and i don't work in construction. My trade has picked up half its current workforce from other plants that were closing because us hourly guys wanted them. Hourly pushed the union and company to hire more and it cost us, the VD employees in the crib 1000-1500 hours over the past 2 years. So i'm lucky to be in a good plant and willing to share that luck. And i moved down the seniority ladder in my trade.

But how do you know what the plant can carry after the construction is done? Or even what management is willing to carry? You want them to add millwrights based on what exactly? Do you know what the work will be available?

Sure there is some protectionism and yet that's nothing more than others on this thread are asking for. I guess protectionism is just like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. One side says "OUR PLANT" the other "Seniority" I can see rational thoughtful arguments for both and ones that aren't so rational for both.

Either way we are getting off point to a degree. The issue that matters is who made the decision to get rid of temps and why? For all the claims on here about how weak and unable to get things done that is put on the leadership at VD on here you and others suddenly want to believe that the Local got you kicked out? Politics is funny that way.

Well 5 years ago was M/W's over 100? How many production was in the plant then vrs now? Plus now a days any new line takes less production people but there is more machinery than ever. So there need for skilled is more important than ever. So who made the numbers 5 years ago the union is that why there was over 100 M/W's. There has to be a happy medium

Isn't Van Dyke the local that tryed to keep the temps off the overtime list ?

Yes. Until someone went to NLRB. Greed rules ya we need the help but not help on overtime.

Listen Bro, I was in office when you guys came here. Don't try and act like Van Dyke was the only plant throughout ford to have the temp trades work 40 hours. The Chairman at the time called around to the other plants that had temp trades to see how they did things and simply followed what they were doing or did. Do you honestly believe no one called IUAW? Do you honestly believe that if IUAW had called and said there was a violation, that the local wouldn't have changed things? be real. It's real easy to come on here and sling mud but do you have any idea how hard the room fought to get you guys in here in order to save you from burning up your sub and tap and to keep the outside contractors out?

• Like 2

Dont hold your breath Louie.......... Vandyke committee did work hard to get those guys a chance to work in their trade for over a year and 6 posts later nothing but hatred

Thanks Steve Morris for taking care of the ILO Union Brothers and fighting to help people you never knew...... There Louie, a thanks to VD committee, although I didnt benefit from going, its good to know there are locations helping all UAW Ford trades.

Listen Bro, I was in office when you guys came here. Don't try and act like Van Dyke was the only plant throughout ford to have the temp trades work 40 hours. The Chairman at the time called around to the other plants that had temp trades to see how they did things and simply followed what they were doing or did. Do you honestly believe no one called IUAW? Do you honestly believe that if IUAW had called and said there was a violation, that the local wouldn't have changed things? be real. It's real easy to come on here and sling mud but do you have any idea how hard the room fought to get you guys in here in order to save you from burning up your sub and tap and to keep the outside contractors out?

Maybe he forgot to mention that MAP put the temps on the over time drot from day one. My committeeman Mike Beynoun is a example of the union spirit at it's best. Local 900 from Bill Johnson down welcomed us as union brothers. Can you say the same about your locals leadership ?

"Listen here Bro" If your Chairman would have called the plant I work at he would have been told they are in the rotation. When they were brought in the committee man came around and asked what everyone thought. Sure there was some no's but majority prevailed they got in the rotation.If every everybody thought this way our union would be in better shape but its sad to say its ME ME ME.

"Listen here Bro" If your Chairman would have called the plant I work at he would have been told they are in the rotation. When they were brought in the committee man came around and asked what everyone thought. Sure there was some no's but majority prevailed they got in the rotation.If every everybody thought this way our union would be in better shape but its sad to say its ME ME ME.

Ya know I'm not sure which plants he called, but I do remember being told that the plants he did call all had the temps on 40 hrs. But that's not really the point now is it....I'm sure the phone call to Region and IUAW didn't take to long to be made and I know no one ever mentioned that there was a violation. So maybe you need to direct your anger somewhere else. The local at Van Dyke fought hard to get those trades in here to save them from burning their sub and tap and the tradesmen on the floor treated those guys good. When the decision was made that the temp trades are to be placed on the overtime rotation, there was no bitching from the room or the guys on the floor. If your one of the temp trades that came to VD, I wish you all the best. If your NOT and your just on here stirring shit, regardless of what is said, your still gonna bitch... so bitch away. All I know is that I was there to see how hard the room fought to get the temp trades in for the construction job, everything may not have turned out perfect, but in the end they saved their sub and tap which is more than some could say. Knowing that, for you to come on here and bitch about the room leaves a sour taste if ya know what I mean.

• Like 1

Dont hold your breath Louie.......... Vandyke committee did work hard to get those guys a chance to work in their trade for over a year and 6 posts later nothing but hatred

Thanks Steve Morris for taking care of the ILO Union Brothers and fighting to help people you never knew...... There Louie, a thanks to VD committee, although I didnt benefit from going, its good to know there are locations helping all UAW Ford trades.

Your welcome Brother but I was probably the smallest piece of the puzzle. The Chairman and the Job Standards Rep had the pull to get it done. They are the ones that should be Thanked.

• Like 1

Fact is the majority of trades is older then 55 and have more then 25 years in. The company wants you out the door, for those that have their 30 in and are sticking around, they want you to work or get the Fuk out. If you don't go voluntarily we will force you to leave!

As for temp assignments, take them while you can if your not happy where you are, but remember when you sign that piece of paper your bound by that agreement on it. You can't bitch at anyone but yourself if you don't like the outcome. Be lucky your not working in the DTP body sweat shop breaking your back and going home hurt every night.

Vote no on ratification, vote yes on strike. Get your signs out boys!...

We need to get while we can. We can't worry about the next generating getting jobs, we need to live for ourselves right now. The simple fact is, the company has enough money to operate for the next 25 years or more, lets get it while we can before we end up with the short end of the stick before we retire. Lets not fuk ourselves now, lets not worry about tomorrow work force or generation, we can get everything right now if we vote no and vote yes on strike.. We can get 30k in our pockets boys!...

Go for broke and step up and fight for your rights! don't let the company downsize in the name of "Greed", no Greed is not GOOD, and these large companies like Boeing and GE are getting away with murder, once the get away with it others will follow!.

Fax your congressman and state senator your views and opinions on our economy, tell them you want change!.

And another example of Chuckie being a dumb ass. We need work you dumb ass!

Your welcome Brother but I was probably the smallest piece of the puzzle. The Chairman and the Job Standards Rep had the pull to get it done. They are the ones that should be Thanked.

If you played any part in getting your union brothers back to work. I thank you Brother Morris. And it does help to know that the guys on the floor didn't bitch about the change.

Wow BRO! Hey BRO! Stop already BRO!

Wow BRO! Hey BRO! Stop already BRO!

Damn Ranger, had I known you were going to come on here with all of your words of wisdom to try and make me sound dumb, I would have been more proper and articulate when I wrote my comments. But then again, I wasn't having a conversation with you to begin with now was I. Seeing as how you felt obligated to join the conversation though, if you have something to say, by all means speak your mind. That is unless all your trying to do is start some shit. If that's the case, your response to my comments were brilliant!

• Like 1