Is my Transmission Possesed?

DynoDean

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with aneeker. There is nothing normal about this tranny.

I took mine to the Ford dealer this morning because of the shudder and the rattle when it changes from 1st to 2nd. I already knew they were going to tell me that the gear hunting and surging was "normal" for this car.

At any rate, they had the shop foreman take a ride with me and he informed me that the shudder is part of the aggressive fuel management system. So it's normal and there's nothing they can do about it. And the rattle is caused by synchronizers in the dry clutch so it's normal and there's nothing they can do about it. So I'm going to do what any "normal" person would do. I'm going to trade this thing for a doggon Toyota, and there's nothing they can do about it.

The shudder is not normal. Take it to another shop, take one out for a test drive before hand.

Edited by trackertx-17

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of great info in this thread. We've got 22K on our '12 Titanium 5D, but I've noticed some of these issues only infrequently (little bit of gear hunting under weird throttle application). Also had a Fiesta as a rental recently and didn't experience them at all. Occasionally annoying, but certainly not intolerable. IMO, the trans is at least as good as the true-auto in the Cooper S my wife's Focus replaced, and that was one of the Mini's lone bright spots. I'll schedule my next oil change instead of Quick-Lane, and have them apply the patch.

• 2 weeks later...

I never really experienced any problems with my Ti, and was very satisfied before. Now that I have had the Steering TSB and the 12B37 FSA applied I can barely feel the super smooth shifting! If anyone has not had the updates applied, go get them done!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What I don't understand is this: did you folks not notice the transmission characteristics during the test drive before you bought the car?

In all fairness, a test drive is often a leisurely stroll around the block with a salesman talking to you. Its quite difficult to get a full and complete feel for all aspects of the cars dynamics on a test drive. That said, the drive characteristics of the DCT in these cars should be quite noticeable immediately. It basically is driving a stick without the clutch. That makes for a much different feel than either a standard automatic or CVT.