Zephyr or MkZ

BORG

Ford has offered to pay off the remainder of the lease on my parent's Lincoln Aviator which is due in December. It's a tempting offer since they spend $200 in gas a week, not to mention $650/month for the lease. However, what would you replace it with? This is a very bad time to be in the market for a Lincoln. I keep telling them that they would be making a mistake if they went with a Zephyr with the MkZ and MkX on the way in a few months. The MkX probably won't be out soon enough to make it to the lots by November so the only candidate is the MkZ. Would you stick it out or just drive in and get the Zephyr?

I predict that once she gets behind the wheel of the Zephyr, she'll lose interest ;).

It's a lease pull-ahead, the first time they've been offered one as large as this. We're tallking about 5 months. I suspect it's part of a more covert way of offering incentives. Consequently, the Zephyr is a great deal right now. In fact, they can knock off as much off the Zephyr as they did on the $52,000 Aviator and my $46,000 Lincoln LS. I thought for sure the incentive game was over, but this is the biggest incentive package they've ever been offered (my incentive package was still better).

The lease pull-ahead programs is valid until August 31st so they can wait until then. They've already scoped out a VIN.

She has never driven the Zephyr and I think she forgets how much she loves the SUV. As soon as she gets behind the wheel of the Zephyr, she'll discover it doesn't quite add up to the Lincolns she's use to and won't want to step out of big and plush SUV.

She drives pretty rough and hard, her gas mileage reflects her habits. She does a lot of commuting and the gas prices are starting to add up.

I think the MkX is the best bet. If that's not available in time, then I keep reminding her that she doesn't have to buy FoMoCo even if she's apprehensive about leaving the dealership.

They got $5,500 off the Aviator, not including A-Plan. There are additional incentives on the Zephyr that add up to about $2,500. And keep in mind, this is a $35,000 car...not a 50K+ car.

What about a Mercury Mariner V6 premier? Better on gas, and still an SUV. ;)

She had one as a loaner when the Aviator was in the shop and she liked it with the exception of its appearance and features ;). And, don't forget, it's not a "Lincoln"...even if the Zephyr is no more of a Lincoln than a Milan. It's all about image and I guess Lincoln still means something to some people ;)

Edited by BORG

Honestly, if I were in her position, this is what I would do. I would have the dealership look for a Lincoln LS-V8 that is left over on the lot with the options she wants, and trade up for that. I loved my dads. Still can't figure out why they didn't update it.

But, if she wants to stay in an SUV, but doesn't want the Navi, check out Cadillac. ;)

I already recommended that but the LS supply is largely gone. It's a shame the LS didn't remain in production until the MKZ came out...not that it's an adequate replacement mind you ;).

I'm going to try and drag her into a Caddy dealership, even if I have to drive down there and drag her in. I'm sure she'll fall in love as much a I have with the STS. The SRX is kinda pricey.

Edited by BORG

I see nothing wrong with leasing a Zephyr. I might not buy an orphan, but would sure lease one if deal is good.

BTW....trading to save a few bucks on fuel seldom makes any economic sense. Just the sales tax on a new vehicle, even if it is spread out on a lease, costs way more than difference in fuel economy.

BTW....trading to save a few bucks on fuel seldom makes any economic sense. Just the sales tax on a new vehicle, even if it is spread out on a lease, costs way more than difference in fuel economy.

All depends...right now with me driving roughly 20 miles one way to work and filling up 2x times a week with the Mustang, I'm paying more in gas then I am in a car payment for it!

All depends...right now with me driving roughly 20 miles one way to work and filling up 2x times a week with the Mustang, I'm paying more in gas then I am in a car payment for it!

So.... let's say you bought something that gets 25% better milage, maybe saving up to $80-$100 a month. That's not much compared to the cost of buying a new car...one that gets good milage.

When it's time to get a new car, buy all means get a fuel efficient one, but you can't really trade cars just for gas milage. A new car will depreciate about 1/2 it's value in first 3-4 years plus sales tax to buy. That effect on your net worth (assuming you make financial decisions to increase your net worth) is far greater than some extra fuel costs.

If you are just itching to buy a new car, and looking for some excuse....then I underestand that.

Edited by Ralph Greene

if you are just itching to buy a new car, and loking for some excuse....than I underestand that.

Isn't that really how 99% of new cars are bought? You don't often see people pulling into the dealer with a broken-down car on a flatbed with 4 flat tires, smoke rising from the hood, and an interior that smells like a sewage treatment plant.

Most people just WANT something new. Very few actually NEED it. Justifying the purchase because of fuel economy is just one of the many reasons people come up with to make themselves feel better about wasting the money on a new car when their current one runs and does the job just fine.

Gotta keep up with the Joneses!! :shrug:

Isn't that really how 99% of new cars are bought? You don't often see people pulling into the dealer with a broken-down car on a flatbed with 4 flat tires, smoke rising from the hood, and an interior that smells like a sewage treatment plant.

Most people just WANT something new. Very few actually NEED it. Justifying the purchase because of fuel economy is just one of the many reasons people come up with to make themselves feel better about wasting the money on a new car when their current one runs and does the job just fine.

Gotta keep up with the Joneses!! :shrug:

You are correct. That is what it is about, and that is what keeps the car business going. I'm guilty of keeping at least one fairly new car around the house for same reason.

No matter how many repairs a car needs, assuming it's body and structure are in good shape, it's almost always cheaper to repair than to replace. There isn't much that can go wrong with a popular priced car that you can't fix over time for $5-10,000...or much less. And basically drive it forever until it rusts out. But most of us won't do that. In my old age, I think that way more and more.

In a household like mine with 4 cars, one could save so much money just driving and repairing old cars, you could take the thousands of savings and lease a luxury car when you need something nice. I'm kinda tired of having several new or almost new cars, all depreciating a couple thousand each year each, sitting around the house. At least with a lease, you face the real cost head on, by paying the depreciation plus profit while you drive it.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Ford has offered to pay off the remainder of the lease on my parent's Lincoln Aviator which is due in December. It's a tempting offer since they spend $200 in gas a week, not to mention $650/month for the lease. However, what would you replace it with? This is a very bad time to be in the market for a Lincoln. I keep telling them that they would be making a mistake if they went with a Zephyr with the MkZ and MkX on the way in a few months. The MkX probably won't be out soon enough to make it to the lots by November so the only candidate is the MkZ. Would you stick it out or just drive in and get the Zephyr?

I predict that once she gets behind the wheel of the Zephyr, she'll lose interest ;).

They're paying $1,500 a month for one vehicle's transportation costs?

What is wrong with this country?

That's $50 a DAY!

Chuck any and all vehicles and just call cabs. Share rides.

Just HER, in an AVIATOR?!

Tell her to think about the country, the people in the country, and then about planet earth. Why does ONE person need to be tooling around in an AVIATOR?

And I've restrained myself so far....jeez louieeeez....

It makes sense to me for her to at least look at and drive the Zephyr. She's gonna have to give up the Aviator in December, and feels it's likely she'll prioritize better gas mileage and get a sedan. If she knows she's going to make that sea-change, then why not do it now, when she can save over $3,000 in lease payments on her current vehicle? Why not switch to the desired vehicle now, given the financial incentive to do so?

Of course, any decision depends on whether she likes the Zephyr. So before pondering the quandry further, get her behind the wheel and add that most important information before making a decision!

BTW, I am seeing more and more Zephs on the road everyday.

So.... let's say you bought something that gets 25% better milage, maybe saving up to $80-$100 a month. That's not much compared to the cost of buying a new car...one that gets good milage.

But if you put the money up front for a new car, in either case the sales tax will bite you. Also, based on the argument presented, a $2,000 tax cost will be covered over by 20 months of $100/month gas savings.

Not to mention insurance savings for going with a smaller engine, if that counts much.

The price of running the Aviator wasn't as high when they leased it back in December '04. I gurantee you they would probably not have bought it in the current conditions, even if the Aviator was still available. But what do I know, they could end up getting a Navigator when they go back in there....but I doubt it!

The Zephyr/MKZ will present a significant savings in just about every financial dimention and I think the Zephyr is a good way of stepping back and saving some money. From fuel to insurance to registration to car washing...it all ads up on those SUVs.

She also beats up her cars and I think the Zephyr is a good car to chew up and spit out every few years. It's a nice car, but not too nice that you feel bad if it wasn't taken care of. The suspension is very basic and fairly robust so it should handle the rough Detroit winter roads, even if will corner about as well as a big SUV ;).

The MkZ will probably cost a bit more, but the difference is incidental when leasing under A-plan.

Does anybody know when the MkZ will be available for order? They have until August 31st, although I doubt the Z will be available in time.

The MkZ will probably cost a bit more, but the difference is incidental when leasing under A-plan.

Does anybody know when the MkZ will be available for order? They have until August 31st, although I doubt the Z will be available in time.

You could like... call a dealer? Maybe? They know how many MKZs they are getting, and probably about when they'll be here. Are we supposed to do all your legwork for you? :rolleyes: :P

I got word from the folks that they are going to stick out the remainder of the Aviator lease and wait for the MkZ and MkX. Apparently the pricing wasn't very good on the Zephyr and were disappointed after a test drive. I told them that they will be disappointed if they are use to the uber Lincolns they've been buying. I'm trying to get them to test Caddies, but that's a tough sell because they are apprehensive about dealing with somebody new.

In any case, there really is no good reason to spring for the Zephyr RIGHT this minute since the deals aren't good and the product is about to be updated. They might be better off pursuing a 300C :)