5.4 Supercharged Base Mustang

troublemaker427

I'd love to see Ford build a somewhat affordable base Mustang with the GT-500 engine and call it the LX. I know they already build the Cobra Jet but it is not legal for highway use and big money. It's just a shot in the dark and will never happen but a guy can dream... A more realistic dream would be to put the current 5.0 Coyotte in a base no option car and call it a LX. I think both would be decent sellers.

Edited by troublemaker427

I'd live to see Ford build a somewhat affordable base Mustang with the GT-500 engine and call it the LX. I know they already build the Cobra Jet but it is not legal for highway use and big money. It's just a shot in the dark and will never happen but a guy can dream... A more realistic dream would be to put the current 5.0 Coyotte in a base no option car and call it a LX. I think both would be decent sellers.

Yes they'd sell but they would likely just push some GT or GT500 buyers into buying a cheaper car, not increasing overall sales. So it would be a net loss. If you can't afford a new GT, wait 3 years and buy a used one for 50% of the cost of a new one. Problem solved.

Yes they'd sell but they would likely just push some GT or GT500 buyers into buying a cheaper car, not increasing overall sales. So it would be a net loss. If you can't afford a new GT, wait 3 years and buy a used one for 50% of the cost of a new one. Problem solved.

It's not just about the $$$ even thought that is a big part of it. There is alot of not needed weight with the heavy GT-500 & GT. If you were around in the 80's you may remember how popular the LX 5.0 package was with drag racers. Many people just don't want all of the bells & whistles associated with the GT-500 or GT.

A VIN on the Cobra Jet would solve everything but we know that won't happen and I completely understand.

Like I said it was just a dream that I know me and many other's have.

It's not just about the $$$ even thought that is a big part of it. There is alot of not needed weight with the heavy GT-500 & GT. If you were around in the 80's you may remember how popular the LX 5.0 package was with drag racers. Many people just don't want all of the bells & whistles associated with the GT-500 or GT.

A VIN on the Cobra Jet would solve everything but we know that won't happen and I completely understand.

Like I said it was just a dream that I know me and many other's have.

The biggest problem now is that there is really nowhere to lose that much weight without completely gumming up the assembly process. They aren't going to redesign the doors to use crank windows. They aren't going to build them without any sound deadening, and with no real "body kit" on them now compared to what was different between an LX and GT in previous model years, there isn't much weight to be saved there either. The market for "stripper" cars just isn't a very lucrative one for Ford. That's why the abandoned it in the first place.

And really, how much weight would it save anyway? Couple hundred lbs? In the grand scheme of things, that's not that much...and with 412 HP hauling the car around, that's less than 8 oz per HP. For a street car, the differences won't be noticable. Real racers are going to rip out what they don't want and save a worthwhile amount of weight anyway.