Letter From Jimmy Settles About WDIV

justkillintime

Today, you may have received false and misleading information indicating that we have reached an agreement regarding an economic package. These false rumors are irresponsible and unfair to our members. They are designed to intentionally create false expectations.

We are very disappointed with the Detroit media, particularly WDIV Channel 4 and reporter Rod Meloni for their unprofessional and irresponsible coverage of the UAW Ford contract negotiations.

It is shameful that a news outlet with such a large audience and the ability to affect thousands of working class families chose to resort to such lazy, gossip-geared tactics rather than make a single phone call to anyone directly involved with the negotiating process. It is extraordinarily careless for a news organization to give credence to this kind of hearsay.

We have made a concerted effort to communicate factual information with our members as soon as it becomes available. We have embraced a culture of unprecedented transparency that has benefited not just our members but the media as well. WDIV’s attempt at sensationalist journalism is dishonorable and counterproductive to the lives of the 41,000 men, women, and their families represented by the UAW Ford Department.

To our members, I apologize for any harm that may have been done by this reckless news report, and I reaffirm to you that all information related to negotiations will come directly from the UAW Ford Department.

In Solidarity

Jimmy Settles

Vice President/Director

UAW National Ford Department

• Like 5

Today, you may have received false and misleading information indicating that we have reached an agreement regarding an economic package. These false rumors are irresponsible and unfair to our members. They are designed to intentionally create false expectations.

We are very disappointed with the Detroit media, particularly WDIV Channel 4 and reporter Rod Meloni for their unprofessional and irresponsible coverage of the UAW Ford contract negotiations.

It is shameful that a news outlet with such a large audience and the ability to affect thousands of working class families chose to resort to such lazy, gossip-geared tactics rather than make a single phone call to anyone directly involved with the negotiating process. It is extraordinarily careless for a news organization to give credence to this kind of hearsay.

We have made a concerted effort to communicate factual information with our members as soon as it becomes available. We have embraced a culture of unprecedented transparency that has benefited not just our members but the media as well. WDIV’s attempt at sensationalist journalism is dishonorable and counterproductive to the lives of the 41,000 men, women, and their families represented by the UAW Ford Department.

To our members, I apologize for any harm that may have been done by this reckless news report, and I reaffirm to you that all information related to negotiations will come directly from the UAW Ford Department.

In Solidarity

Jimmy Settles

Vice President/Director

You go Jimmy!!! WDIV owes you and the entire bargaining team an apology!!!

• Like 3

In Solidarity

Jimmy Settles

Vice President/Director

This is NOT the first time the news media in metro Detroit leaked out "rumors" concerning UAW information. So why doesn't the IUAW sue their Butts! :censored:

• Like 1

It's all in the wording. Remember old Rod had a source that told him this info. Now WDIV is no longer responsible and they can't make him give up his source. It's just not worth the union's time. Point out that the news reporters are assholes, leave it at that and move on. If they sue they will end up being a target and they won't ever get anywhere because they never named the source. Everyone needs to just sit back and relax. We'll get the info we we get it. Jimmy Settles is a great guy and when it's done, it's done.

• Like 1

This is NOT the first time the news media in metro Detroit leaked out "rumors" concerning UAW information. So why doesn't the IUAW sue their Butts! :censored:

First of all, you have to show damages to win a lawsuit. Secondly, is it possible the IUAW floated the signing bonus rumor to the news to guage the workers reaction to it?

• Like 2

It's all in the wording. Remember old Rod had a source that told him this info. Now WDIV is no longer responsible and they can't make him give up his source. It's just not worth the union's time. Point out that the news reporters are assholes, leave it at that and move on. If they sue they will end up being a target and they won't ever get anywhere because they never named the source. Everyone needs to just sit back and relax. We'll get the info we we get it. Jimmy Settles is a great guy and when it's done, it's done.

I think you nail this issue on the head. We need to stay calm and we'll get the information when its done.

• Like 1

Anyone for a second think that Solid house might be mad because it was quite possibly correct and that they (solid house) expected many Ford workers to be angry without some sort of mitigating reasons being offered by the highlights.

I can see 2 possible ways it went.

1. Ford and IUAW basically agreed to settle the equity of sacrifice grievance within the contract for 2500 and perhaps someone felt that was bullshit and leaked it.

2. Solid House couldn't get Ford to move to a higher number on the settlement and leaked it themselves to get us to start berating it and making it easier for them.

UAW: Look, you see our rank and file are pissed, i can't take that shit to them.

But the idea of the grievance being settled for 2500. now and a couple grand more later it some other concessions don't get pushed in the future is bullshit. Your not buying a house off me land contract, give me the money now. I've seen you refi me out my money so i want it upfront this time.

The IUAW has told us and our leadership many times this is going to arbitration. So making up shit and posting it is not true. But the idea that ljcdad is putting out bullishit is pretty accurate.