Ford Focus Production/Sales

Twincam Harley

I'm a bit disturbed by the September sales figures of the Focus, down 24% from last year. Have the production issues with the IP's been resolved? Are the sales numbers low due to this or have our customers not accepted the new model? I was of the opinion that the Focus was in short supply and we have not been able to keep up with demand. The Chevy Cruze is outselling the Focus almost 2-1.

• Like 1

I'm a bit disturbed by the September sales figures of the Focus, down 24% from last year. Have the production issues with the IP's been resolved? Are the sales numbers low due to this or have our customers not accepted the new model? I was of the opinion that the Focus was in short supply and we have not been able to keep up with demand. The Chevy Cruze is outselling the Focus almost 2-1.

This is an excerpt from a Washington Post Business article....

Ford’s car sales fell 8 percent, largely because of slowdowns in sales of the Focus small car and Taurus big sedan. Ford has had trouble meeting demand for the Focus for several months.

Sounds like it's not related to customer demand. Lordstown is running 3 shifts.....Wayne's only on 2...correct? Just sounds to me like we have the orders, but just cant get them to dealers as fast as GM is.

I ordered a '12 Focus Hatch for my son the first week of August and it took 4 weeks for delivery. The dealership did not have one Focus to look at or test drive when were ordered and the salesperson mentioned that they lost a few sales due to low availability. My son almost switched his choice to an Escape since plenty were available. Anyway, the car arrived in perfect condition and so far no issues. He's glad he waited. Can't wait for the ST Focus.

I ordered a '12 Focus Hatch for my son the first week of August and it took 4 weeks for delivery. The dealership did not have one Focus to look at or test drive when were ordered and the salesperson mentioned that they lost a few sales due to low availability. My son almost switched his choice to an Escape since plenty were available. Anyway, the car arrived in perfect condition and so far no issues. He's glad he waited. Can't wait for the ST Focus.

I was talking to my salesman a few weeks ago. He was telling me, people that couldnt get a focus were going elsewhere. Seems weird to me that Ford is okay with losing sales. I too, am holding off for the ST. Too bad it wont be all-wheel drive!

Thanks for that additional info. I guess it's still IP's holding production up? I know it's not a high profit margin vehicle but it'd be nice to see us selling as many as GM is selling of the Cruze.

No, IP's are not the issue. And have not been for quite some time. The lack of a shift IS the issue. And lack of weekend overtime etc. at MAP.

Its not even lack of a shift. We're told there is a transmission problem and production has been cut to only 9hrs and this is how its going to be until the end of the year. We are now in the process of launching the BEV & then c max. The third shift if it happens won't be until the first qt say feb or march 2012.

Edited by MTP'er

I was talking to my salesman a few weeks ago. He was telling me, people that couldnt get a focus were going elsewhere. Seems weird to me that Ford is okay with losing sales. I too, am holding off for the ST. Too bad it wont be all-wheel drive!

Who said they were ok with it? They're not doing it on purpose. Stuff happens.

• Like 2

Ford's overall sales for vehicles was up. Maybe it was just consumer preference? Escape, Explorer and Edge sales way up.

A friend I worked with at LTP said he and his wife went to look at a Focus wanting to buy one but, were told it would take about 8 weeks to get one. Salesman told them the reason was that Ford was shipping most of the Focus's to both the east and west coasts to try and take away potential Honda & Toyota customers who couldn't get those because of what that earthquake and tsunami did in Japan, which drastically slowed production of those cars. They ended up buying a Fusion instead.

I think there is a problem with the Powershift. Reason I say this is because Ford Russia put a stop sale on all Focus equipped with the 2.0L GDi with the dry clutch Powershift. Reason given was that the Powershift units they received are faulty.