How this contract benefits retirees

pmooret

Whenever someone disagrees with you morons you automatically promote us to the IUAW. You are so pathetic. Hey, we can disagree with you and like this agreement you moron.

I for one can handle disagreement but when you try to lie and spread false rumors, thats where I have to say something. Send these clowns back to negotiate a real contract. One that protects our retirees and gets back at least part of what we have given up since the last contract. I encourage everyone to just say NO.

• Like 2

I for one can handle disagreement but when you try to lie and spread false rumors, thats where I have to say something. Send these clowns back to negotiate a real contract. One that protects our retirees and gets back at least part of what we have given up since the last contract. I encourage everyone to just say NO.

Do you think Ron Paul will help the retirees? I doubt it. The UAW has helped out retirees while your candidate, Ron Paul, doesn't even want them to have healthcare. You dare come on this site and tell us to vote no when you support candidates that don't care about retirees?

• Like 2

Do you think Ron Paul will help the retirees? I doubt it. The UAW has helped out retirees while your candidate, Ron Paul, doesn't even want them to have healthcare. You dare come on this site and tell us to vote no when you support candidates that don't care about retirees?

We would probably have a much better chance with him than the current office holder and the other candidates. You obviously have no idea what your talking about.and your only answer is to name call and lie. crawl back in the hole you came from.

• Like 1

I wonder how high it would be if they took 10 percent of salary profits settlement bonus and gave it to retiree beneifits ,also why is there cap on hourly and not salary,hmmmmmmm!

Salary has no pension, or heath care benefit in retirement. They are on the Usave program, whatever you can save (401 k, personal investments etc) is what you have.

• Like 1

I can answer that for you, Great Bridge. It has everything to do with the fact that the VEBA guarantees a set amount of money to paid, per person, per year. It doesn't guarantee a set level of service. In Michigan, Blue Cross Blue Shield is the state chartered insurer of last resort and has to guarantee to take damn near anyone. As a result,m all other insurance companies are much more competitive in what they offer, per $1000 of annual insurance premium. So the VEBA in Michigan gets much more bang for the buck than if you cross state lines and buy coverage in Ohio or Indiana. This affect employers that do business across state lines. You could have two employees, same gender, same age, same overall health. One lives in Monroe, MI, and one lives in Toledo OH. If the insurance is bought from the same company, but bought as one policy in each state of residence, the Ohio policy cost the employer more than the Michigan policy.

Since the VEBA is chartered to spend a guaranteed amount of money per year, and not a guaranteed level of service, what the VEBA can buy in Florida is a hell of a lot less coverage than what you can buy in Michigan.

Hope that explanation helps, at least in giving you as straight an answer as I can give. I researched this, because if my wife & I were to book from Michigan and head down to Texas, where I have family living in Dallas, if my Local 600 retiree parents want to follow us, the VEBA change is going to screw them over even more than they're screwed by it in Michigan.

Thanks Len A, you did your home work and put it way better than I could have.

Great Bridge, Len A hit it on the nose. One thing is for sure you like my parents live in one of the higher states for coverage costs. But, one thing is for sure even if VEBA reaches a level that the fund can (and I can only hope it does) start paying a higher percent of the cost coverage, unfortunately Florida will still be one of the states eating up more of the buck, in the way of overall cost for benefits.

Great Bridge I`m not sure if this will help or fit your situation but I called and believe it or not talked face to face with Dad`s V.A. Doctor. He went into length with giving some advice and suggested calling Humana for some possible additional coverage. They, Mom and Dad have saved money over and above the cost of the coverage in the first six months. I stressed this time and time again to our Local retiree`s, ask questions and seek help from your Retiree Organizations and yes sit down with your Doctor and see what she or he may be able to help with. Some Doctors may be able to help with prescriptions also.

One other thing, and I know this on a first hand basis. Take advantage of the different government both state and federal agencies that offer help. I had 9 years after Dad retired that I and Mom tried to talk Dad into going to the V.A., just to talk. Then his long haired baby boy (55 years old) said one morning we`re going to breakfast and got to Tampa about 9:15am, just in time to start filling out paperwork..... that's history and now the pride that once kept him from going is apart of going and being with others that served and are waiting for their share of the benefits.

Thanks again Len A, and I know your information should help. Great Bridge. just wondering is Great Bridge, is referencing to that bridge leaving Tampa and heading over that beautiful bay, heading for Sarasota?

Decker

• Like 1

Thanks Len A, you did your home work and put it way better than I could have.

Great Bridge, Len A hit it on the nose. One thing is for sure you like my parents live in one of the higher states for coverage costs. But, one thing is for sure even if VEBA reaches a level that the fund can (and I can only hope it does) start paying a higher percent of the cost coverage, unfortunately Florida will still be one of the states eating up more of the buck, in the way of overall cost for benefits.

Great Bridge I`m not sure if this will help or fit your situation but I called and believe it or not talked face to face with Dad`s V.A. Doctor. He went into length with giving some advice and suggested calling Humana for some possible additional coverage. They, Mom and Dad have saved money over and above the cost of the coverage in the first six months. I stressed this time and time again to our Local retiree`s, ask questions and seek help from your Retiree Organizations and yes sit down with your Doctor and see what she or he may be able to help with. Some Doctors may be able to help with prescriptions also.

One other thing, and I know this on a first hand basis. Take advantage of the different government both state and federal agencies that offer help. I had 9 years after Dad retired that I and Mom tried to talk Dad into going to the V.A., just to talk. Then his long haired baby boy (55 years old) said one morning we`re going to breakfast and got to Tampa about 9:15am, just in time to start filling out paperwork..... that's history and now the pride that once kept him from going is apart of going and being with others that served and are waiting for their share of the benefits.

Thanks again Len A, and I know your information should help. Great Bridge. just wondering is Great Bridge, is referencing to that bridge leaving Tampa and heading over that beautiful bay, heading for Sarasota?

Decker

You're welcome. There was a time when I could easily get quotes for individual health care, supposedly for small businesses owners, but basically individual policies, through a link on Sam's Club's web site, but they've discontinued that service. Part of it was due to an extended period of unemployment the wife & I were going through, and we knew that COBRA was going to run out. Ended up doing a lot of research that also benefited (to a degree) my Mom & Dad. Then the wife & I did a lot of "Hey, if we had the money to retire (like that's going to ever happen) and wanted to relocate, what's some of the pluses and minuses to relocating". Turns out that the cost of health insurance was one of the big minuses. Supposedly, the change in health care legislation from a few years ago is supposed to do away with that state-to-state disparity, but I'll believe it when I see it. Assuming that that change dose go through, then Great Bridge and others in high cost states will see a change in their coverage, insurance costs, and copays, but right now it's pure speculation to think about exactly where those changes are going to go.
  • Like 1

Every retiree except Michigan people got short changed and screwed. Insurance is cheaper in Michigan for some reason or other and your VEBA insurance dollars go farther there. The UAW is allowing only so much money per retiree for insurance. We got screwed big time . This new contract proposal only continues Ford and the UAW's war on the retirees. VOTE NO !!

Actually, all the retirees saw big, and unwelcome changes, just some more than others due to the huge disparity in state-to-state insurance costs., My parents still reside in the Metro Detroit area, and my Mom, of example, saw her monthly out of pocket costs on three prescriptions go from maybe $60 combined, before VEBA to about $580 after VEBA, with one of her prescriptions no longer covered by insurance because there are some over-the-counter remedies in the same drug category - namely acid reducers. Problem my Mom has is that those OTC drugs don't work on her at all. Then there's the fact that she & my Dad are some of the rare few who cannot take generics, due to side effects from the different fillers used in making a generic version of a drug - they have to get their prescriptions written as DAW - dispense as written. Often times that results in much higher copays, like $125 to $150 verses $20. It's a constant fight with Medco.

But that's nothing compared to retirees in other states, like Great Bridge, that saw their other out-of-pocket costs soar. Still, be that as it may, it's not going to go back to the way it was. And it's not easily done for the VEBA to change how it administers the money. Once you're chartered a certain way, it's a major PITA to get that charter changed, and I'm not even certain that it can be done.

Please post here how this contract benefits retirees.

The sad part is that the people negotiating this contract get double retirements and no longer care about the people who helped get the benefits we all enjoy today!!! Only voting for the retirees---which is us in the near future----will protect what our retirees fought for all of us!!! Better think hard about this contract, it is your future and probably many of your parents current life!!!!

• Like 1

The sad part is that the people negotiating this contract get double retirements and no longer care about the people who helped get the benefits we all enjoy today!!! Only voting for the retirees---which is us in the near future----will protect what our retirees fought for all of us!!! Better think hard about this contract, it is your future and probably many of your parents current life!!!!

CORRECTION! The negotiators are elected from each sub-council. They are in the sub-councils by local by-laws that usually send their top elected. These folk's take their jobs VERY seriously and 99% of them take a PAY CUT for the 3 or more month's that they go downtown to negotiate. They spend countless hours away from their families and loved ones. They, like everyone else, are not perfect. But this agreement is hard fought and our retiree's are still very well taken care of. The lump sum is still in the book and quite possibly could be paid as early as next year. That is contingent on the pension fund now. Your frustration is noted and would be better directed at Wallstreet for continuosly screwing the American public...young and old...

Not only that, but what the active complainers fail to realize or won't admit to themselves is if something went to retirees, it would come out of the actives pocket. Currently, there are 4 UAW-Ford retirees for each active employee. Do you want the retirees to get a $700 Christmas bonus? No problem, actives give up $2800 of your money--and that is each and every one of the active workers. How many actives will give up 4X something so retirees can get it?

I was told that the Christmas Bonus came from the underfunded pension fund. The other thing I heard today is that the Social Security age creep adjustment was gone. My understanding of this (from another emnployee) is that ford (pension fund) pays retirees a "Interem Supplement" until retirees reach 80% of social security. Under the new agreement retirees lose the "Interm supplement" at 62 and one month, forcing the retiree to draw his reduced Social Security benefit. This person also said that once you start to draw your social security it will never go up. Might not effect many retirees now but down the road (like when I'm eligible it was $185 a month) it could add up to thousands of $$$ a year. Let me know if this is correct as it is second hand info as usual!

I have heard my fellow workers complain about the International UAW getting 2 retirements for years....Why shouldn't they?....they are working for a different company when they go to work for the UAW...just like if you would get a job with another company after you retire....they used to work for Ford....now they work for the UAW....what is your problem with that?

I was told that the Christmas Bonus came from the underfunded pension fund. The other thing I heard today is that the Social Security age creep adjustment was gone. My understanding of this (from another emnployee) is that ford (pension fund) pays retirees a "Interem Supplement" until retirees reach 80% of social security. Under the new agreement retirees lose the "Interm supplement" at 62 and one month, forcing the retiree to draw his reduced Social Security benefit. This person also said that once you start to draw your social security it will never go up. Might not effect many retirees now but down the road (like when I'm eligible it was $185 a month) it could add up to thousands of $$$ a year. Let me know if this is correct as it is second hand info as usual!

This is true. I began collecting my SS two years ago. However, this has been going on for quite a few years. When I retired in 2000, I was told that I would have to apply for SS three months before I turned 62 and that my Supplemental Income Benefit would end, when I collected my first SS check. BUT, at a retirees meeting at my local about 3-4 yrs back, we were told then that even when our SS went into effect, we would still get the SIB until our 63rd birthday, which I did. So, for a year, I was able to "double dip" if you want to call it that and that extra money came in very handy. I don't know if it's still in effect or not as I haven't talked to anyone lately who would be in that age range. Also, my wife put in for her SS two months before me. I told her she could take it now, or wait a few years and get more. She decided to take it now because she figured that in 5 yrs, anything could happen and she could die and that money would be gone and she wanted hers now. Plus, when I started getting mine, hers went up to where she gets half of what I get.

I have heard my fellow workers complain about the International UAW getting 2 retirements for years....Why shouldn't they?....they are working for a different company when they go to work for the UAW...just like if you would get a job with another company after you retire....they used to work for Ford....now they work for the UAW....what is your problem with that?

The problem with that is their allegiance is too the IUAW not too the dues paying members on the shop floors. Their number 1 priority is taking care of themselves and keep the dues coming in. They do not deserve a double dip pension. As union members we need to wrestle control of our union back to the members not to a hierarchy that is only interested in their well- being..VOTE NO on this dirty carrot in the face smoke and mirror contract.

• Like 1

The problem with that is their allegiance is too the IUAW not too the dues paying members on the shop floors. Their number 1 priority is taking care of themselves and keep the dues coming in. They do not deserve a double dip pension. As union members we need to wrestle control of our union back to the members not to a hierarchy that is only interested in their well- being..VOTE NO on this dirty carrot in the face smoke and mirror contract.

Your reply makes no sense...if you work for a different organization that has a retirement program...why shouldn't you be able to take advantage of it? If you were retired from Ford and you went to work for GE....shouldn't you be able to take advantage of their retirement program?....Think about it

• Like 1

Your reply makes no sense...if you work for a different organization that has a retirement program...why shouldn't you be able to take advantage of it? If you were retired from Ford and you went to work for GE....shouldn't you be able to take advantage of their retirement program?....Think about it

crawl back in your hole dunce..Ge don't negotiate fords contract. if they don't work for us then they need to get out. They have a monopoly on our negotiations and they care only for themselves. They have left the shop floor worker out to dry and burned the retirees again..

• Like 1

crawl back in your hole dunce..Ge don't negotiate fords contract. if they don't work for us then they need to get out. They have a monopoly on our negotiations and they care only for themselves. They have left the shop floor worker out to dry and burned the retirees again..

The UAW does work for you...Don't you think you should provide a retirement for your employees?...Or are you the only one who should get one?...I'm sorry if you can't follow logic....got a clue yet?....I didn't think so

Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid

• Like 1

The UAW does work for you...Don't you think you should provide a retirement for your employees?...Or are you the only one who should get one?...I'm sorry if you can't follow logic....got a clue yet?....I didn't think so

Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid

The international does not work for me . They work to preserve them selves only. They take our dues money and waste it continually. Its union shills like you that make voting no on this contract an easy choice.

• Like 1

The international does not work for me . They work to preserve them selves only. They take our dues money and waste it continually. Its union shills like you that make voting no on this contract an easy choice.

Let me guess....I bet you work at Walton Hills....I'm no union shill, I'm retired, and getting screwed by my union still....but I can't follow the logic of not providing a retirement program for your employees....if it is a bad idea for the UAW then it is a bad idea for Ford

• Like 1

Let me put this in simpler terms for you. If the IUAW is an entirely different entity than the UAW then why are they negotiating our contract. They have all been appointed to do our negotiating. The union needs people that have been elected by the dues paying members . 1 vote for each person. The people working on the shop floor are not being represented.

• Like 1

Let me put this in simpler terms for you. If the IUAW is an entirely different entity than the UAW then why are they negotiating our contract. They have all been appointed to do our negotiating. The union needs people that have been elected by the dues paying members . 1 vote for each person. The people working on the shop floor are not being represented.

I guess I'm the one confused...I thought you didn't like FORD retirees also getting a UAW retirement after working for the UAW in their second career...I don't really know what your talking about with the UAW and the IUAW....do you?

• Like 1