small diesel car

revrob

• 1 year later...

Yeah—

Diesels are a non-starter in the states until the myriad emission & tax laws and regs are sorted at the federal level into consistent application nationwide. Right now it's just too expensive for the automakers to meet the incredibly varied laws across the states.

Loved me some hot diesel cars while living in Belgium... in the early "oughts."

Thats exactly the reason that the 2012-2013 Kia Rio has multiple engine options in Europe and around the World and only offers its 1.6 ltr 4 cyl (GDI) engine here in North America. The higher price of offering the Diesel Engine as an option coupled by the higher price (total madness) for Diesel Fuel, "#2 Heating Oil" is only one reason. The multiple emission and State issues is probably the main cause. Considering the push back that HKAG has received with their "real time" Fuel Economy MPG being as poor as it is, I`m sure they wish that Diesel was an easy fix for better gas mileage.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats exactly the reason that the 2012-2013 Kia Rio has multiple engine options in Europe and around the World and only offers its 1.6 ltr 4 cyl (GDI) engine here in North America. The higher price of offering the Diesel Engine as an option coupled by the higher price (total madness) for Diesel Fuel, "#2 Heating Oil" is only one reason. The multiple emission and State issues is probably the main cause. Considering the push back that HKAG has received with their "real time" Fuel Economy MPG being as poor as it is, I`m sure they wish that Diesel was an easy fix for better gas mileage.

Exactly...