Ridgeline Towing Report

range

"To prove just how serious the Ridgeline is about competing in the pickup-truck business, we hooked one up to a 5000-pound trailer and drag-raced an equally equipped Ford F-150 with an optional 5.4-liter V-8. The Ridgeline's lack of displacement and two cylinders put it at a distinct disadvantage, but the race was close, and the Honda was barking at the Ford's heels the entire time. We didn't expect it to beat the Ford, but we were surprised at how close it was."

"To prove that point, Honda invited auto writers to drive the Ridgeline in a variety of situations. It did an impressive job of towing a 5,000-pound trailer around a course on a deserted parking lot. We slalomed the Ridgeline and its competitors through turns, each truck loaded with more than 1,000 pounds of landscaping rocks. On a rural off-road course, we climbed steep, slippery slopes and splashed through mudholes. The Ridgeline acquitted itself extremely well in every situation."

"And when pulling a trailer is the task at hand, as our test proved, the Ridgeline can tow the load. Well, almost. As a rule, any truck towing near its allowed weight limit tends to be, how can I say, at the limit, and the Ridgeline is no exception. It can do the job on an occasional basis when you slap a 5,000-pound travel trailer behind it while using a weight distributing hitch, but if you plan to tow such a heavy travel or utility trailer regularly, there are better trucks. If you tow a boat, which offers sleeker aerodynamics and places more weight on the rear of the trailer and less on the tongue, the Ridgeline will be less affected at the limit, but we would insist on a trailer sporting functional brakes. My final verdict? If you tow a travel trailer, utility trailer or boat in the low 4,000 pound range (total towed weight), Honda's new Ridgeline definitely has what it takes.

It's different, but it's a real truck. "

Silly stuff there! They can have their Ridgeline to pull that 5,000 lb. trailer, I'd much rather have the

F-150 with the 5.4L V8. Hmm...they did acceleration runs? Who cares? I want to see that Ridgeline stay with the F-150 when it is pulling over mountain passes in the Rockies. Common...if they have so much confidence on the Ridgeline towing as well as an F-150 they should be doing demanding tow tests. Also, make sure they are towing over those mountain passes on days like today...when it is cooking hot outside. Let's just see how much the little Ridgie's tranny can take and how much pulling power that 3.5 V6 really has over steep grades with 5,000 lbs. behind it. The Ridgeline would never see the F-150 again under real towing conditions, not some silly level acceleration runs.

The F-Series is just built better.

That is one point that can't be argued and I feel sorry for the poor Honda lover that tries to.

Edited by 2005Explorer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:happy feet: :happy feet: Go see what they are saying over here! It's just amazing!

Hey Range... Get your Combustive Recreational Vehicle photo ready... :hysterical:

Honda Ridgeline Fires

Proves once again why Honda Ridgeline is a counterfeit truck... I see more Fords from the 70's that proves once again that Honda can't even come close to building a real truck! Let alone Toyota!

Toyota does far more 'repackaging' than Honda. Honda's platforms (Civic and Accord) are replaced on about an 8 year cycle. That's right. Replaced. Not 'tweaked'

Well they DO have 3 engines and a truck line. They DO have some extremely ingenious engineering that allows platforms to be fwd or rwd(the Lexus version) and turning a Corolla into a mid engined roadster is pretty impressive. Acura is nothing but rebadges. Totota shines on doing more with less, and completely selling an image to the US public like no other company with vast quantities of super highly rated mediocre automobiles.

I did some poking about on their web site and they don't have any use for Ford either. So I guess that they are right on the money when they are slaming Honda but when they bring up Ford and slam them, they are anti domestic pigs..

Right??

I think all Japanese buyers are pigs

Dodged that bullet. My wife's CR-V was built in Great Britan. My 2006 599 motorcycle was made in Italy.

In fact, out of ALL five Honda's in our family, the only one made in Japan is the 89 Civic Wagon.

I agree. Damn Japanese buyers. Almost as bad as the Mexican buyers. Damn Fusion owners...

Edited by bec5150

I was seriously looking at picking up a Ridgline to replace my '89 F150 standard cab. I tow a Coleman pop up camper. Dry weight is 2500. So I suppose fully loaded is about 3500. After I saw that tow rating when it was officially released, I quit looking. And that was even before it was released.

I have a 2003 SCrew with th 5.4 and it tows it like it wasn't even there. God am I glad I didn't pick up the Fudgeline. Someone slap me for even thinking of not getting a Ford!

Now where the hell is my Edge! I'm still waiting. Arrgh!

BAD HUMAN!

smack the shit out of you thinking of turning your back on a real truck lol

I got my dad a 04 E250 with the 4.6 V8 he gets good mileage hes a contractor so its FULL probably about 2000-3000 lbs in the back depending what job hes on and it like it not there lol

FORD TUFF BABY!

I don't like the Ridgeline, but I don't like the latest F-150 either as it is a pig.

Give me something in between like the last generation F-150, a 4.0 Ranger, or a Sportrac. They'll tow 5000Lbs and will still get halfway decent fuel economy and don't take up too much room in the garage or parking lot.

Dodged that bullet. My wife's CR-V was built in Great Britan. My 2006 599 motorcycle was made in Italy.

In fact, out of ALL five Honda's in our family, the only one made in Japan is the 89 Civic Wagon.

I agree. Damn Japanese buyers. Almost as bad as the Mexican buyers. Damn Fusion owners...

:rolleyes:

Dodged that bullet. My wife's CR-V was built in Great Britan.

What's the VIN on that CRV? I'm guessing it starts JHLRD, and it was actually built in Japan. U.K. VINs always start with S, and I've never seen a CRV with an S VIN. It would be better if you let the question about how I know this go......... :D

Looks like the old eidetic memory got crossed up again.

Nope.

1) I have never seen a CRV with an 'S' VIN. Talked to a friend of mine today who has seen them. We both agreed it was weird.

2) The JHLRD code for Japanese-built CRVs is correct and it's what I'm familiar with.

See 'eidetic memory' involves the ability to recall what one has SEEN with near total fidelity. If I haven't SEEN it, it's not a problem with my memory.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresult...;x=115&y=13

Its where the profit goes. Toyota coming into this country with no legacy labor costs, lower wages and benfits, huge subsidies to get started, and forcing domestic companies to build in Mexico ain't exactly helping. Dealers give them away, the workers get used to lower wages and living standards, and the Big Two have no way whatsoever to compete. The only people making money from Toyotas built in Japan is the Japanese, the only one making money from Toyotas built in the us is the Japanese. We are underselling our country, now from the inside out. We are Japan's Mexico. I also would bet not one student has been taught about the Bataan death march in over 20 years. At least Mazda's profits also bennifit Ford.

And building American cars in Mexico is a US company trying to support its US remaining opperations. I still think they should just tarif all import cars $3000 each to level the playing field and bail out the retirement accounts of US companies. Japan can eat a shit sandwich if they don't like it. They tariff our exports heavilly. Someone needs to protect this god damn country, everyone else protects theirs.

Edited by kevinb120

I also would bet not one student has been taught about the Bataan death march in over 20 years.

Yeah, we should keep historical enmities alive for ever and ever so we can be just like the Middle East. That's a good plan.

Let's argue economic issues on their own merits, not by fanning the flames of nationalist and racist hatred over things that happened generations ago. My kids know all about the Bataan Death March, Pearl Harbor, The Rape of Nanking, Auschwitz, Dachau, Hiroshima and Dresden. They also know that the guy working at the Toyota factory didn't do it. Wish everybody had at least that much sense.

Edited by niteflight

Yeah, we should keep historical enmities alive for ever and ever so we can be just like the Middle East. That's a good plan.

"Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it."

The problem is the PC whitewashed revisionist BS history that is being taught in schools these days. They want to sugarcoat everything and make it out like everybody has been buddy-buddy with everybody else since the dawn of time. It's ridiculous.

Okay. Back to the topic. Ridgeline? 4-strut suspension?? :hysterical:

Its where the profit goes. Toyota coming into this country with no legacy labor costs, lower wages and benfits, huge subsidies to get started, and forcing domestic companies to build in Mexico ain't exactly helping. Dealers give them away, the workers get used to lower wages and living standards, and the Big Two have no way whatsoever to compete. The only people making money from Toyotas built in Japan is the Japanese, the only one making money from Toyotas built in the us is the Japanese. We are underselling our country, now from the inside out. We are Japan's Mexico. I also would bet not one student has been taught about the Bataan death march in over 20 years. At least Mazda's profits also bennifit Ford.
My relatives working at the Honda plants in Marysville and Anna OH would beg to differ. They are making a better go of it than the UAW workers here in Morrain OH. Are you gonna charge a terrif on these Ohio made Honda's? How about the Mexican made Fusion? Should I buy a Fusion knowing that "the money stays in the US" even though the result of making a product ouside the country is those jobs not being HERE!!??

I do agree that the legacy costs put the Big 2.5 at a disadvantage, but these auto companies are GLOBAL. GLOBAL. If the company is being traded on the stock exchange, then you can buy it and you can get paid like any other stockholder. The profits go to the stockholders.

The idea that all the profits for Toyohonda go to Japan is extremely naive and can be easily disproven. But it sure does sound good at the local Harley bike night or UAW hall....

Edited by bec5150

Nothing "new" in this circular argument.

It doesn't matter HOW many of the Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans are built here, they are FORIEGN.

Just like here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13939015/from/RS.1/

See any of the Jap cars in this article? No. Right in it it says:

By "American cars," we mean vehicles built by American brands and sold here, not cars that are built by foreign companies in the U.S. (Japanese companies such as Toyota Motor, for example, manufacture cars in the U.S.)

So there you have it, right from the mouth of "industry experts".:blah:

While the companies do employ American workers, Jap cars are not "domestic" or American.

"Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it."

The problem is the PC whitewashed revisionist BS history that is being taught in schools these days. They want to sugarcoat everything and make it out like everybody has been buddy-buddy with everybody else since the dawn of time. It's ridiculous.

Okay. Back to the topic. Ridgeline? 4-strut suspension?? :hysterical:

lol yup, everything is all better now....go back to sleep and go shopping, everything is under control..

Something about the HUGE SUMMER TOYOTA MEMORIAL DAY SALE has a kinda nails-on-chalkboard quality sound to my ears...(or Idependence Day, President's Day, Veteran's Day) I must be nuts or something