What are hourly out of pocket benefit costs?

nonunion slug

So I have been looking at the menu to pick benefits. While looking through the menu and seeing costs associated for all benefits, except a few, I was wondering what comes directly out of the hourly workers paycheck compared to salaried?

For example, how much does an hourly worker have taken out for health care? In the salaried world, we can have $0 taken out, but with enormous health care costs if you get sick or you can have about $500 a month taken directly out of your paycheck for the "best" healthcare plan and you still have co-pays and deductibles on top of the $500 a month. Then, we need to compare plans because I would bet that hourly workers have a much better plan than salaried.

How about dental? What comes out of an hourly workers pay check for that? We have to pay monthly out of our pay for dental. Our dental insurance isn't too good. Hope you don't need braces (for kids), crowns or root canals. Look at paying most of those bills on your own.

Hourly has an automatic vision plan, correct? Salaried you have to pay for it.

How about life insurance?

• Like 6

So I have been looking at the menu to pick benefits. While looking through the menu and seeing costs associated for all benefits, except a few, I was wondering what comes directly out of the hourly workers paycheck compared to salaried?

For example, how much does an hourly worker have taken out for health care? In the salaried world, we can have $0 taken out, but with enormous health care costs if you get sick or you can have about $500 a month taken directly out of your paycheck for the "best" healthcare plan and you still have co-pays and deductibles on top of the $500 a month. Then, we need to compare plans because I would bet that hourly workers have a much better plan than salaried.

How about dental? What comes out of an hourly workers pay check for that? We have to pay monthly out of our pay for dental. Our dental insurance isn't too good. Hope you don't need braces (for kids), crowns or root canals. Look at paying most of those bills on your own.

For hourly you do not see a deduction taken out of your weekly check but that is deceiving. We gave up $1 per hour to offset our health care costs in 2009 and we have given up part of our COLA to offset health care costs more than once.

• Like 5

How can you compare? Physical labor vs non physical labor. You expect those who don't use their bodies to get a better health package than those that do?

I don't care what your bennies are, nor is it any of my business or concern.

Why the infatuation?

Based on the equity of sacrifice grievance, I think a lot disagree with that statement.

• Like 6

You can go look on the open market for health insurance or compare to other companies. I've gone through the changes for 2012 and I'm not thrilled with the 20% increase in my monthly premium, but it sure beats a lot of alternatives. You need to focus more on the positive aspects of your position or work on getting moved to a different department. There are job postings on HR Online. Good luck.

PS - I'm pretty sure you are single - The costs are 3x higher for those of us married with kids.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The wages and benefits of salaried for wandering around the plant with their thumbs up their asses is a pretty good deal..Good luck making that kind of money for doing jack shit anywhere else.

LOL, good one. Me and my salaried counterparts work a lot harder than the skilled trades who have their hiding places, disappear or are playing cards all day long. If you want to go tit-for-tat on this, you will lose. Those on the line definitely earn their money, they work their asses off all day long.

• Like 7

You can go look on the open market for health insurance or compare to other companies. I've gone through the changes for 2012 and I'm not thrilled with the 20% increase in my monthly premium, but it sure beats a lot of alternatives. You need to focus more on the positive aspects of your position or work on getting moved to a different department. There are job postings on HR Online. Good luck.

PS - I'm pretty sure you are single - The costs are 3x higher for those of us married with kids.

I have no problems with what you are saying. I think the UAW workers on this site believe they are getting screwed all the time, when they are getting a much better deal than us on salaried. From wages and paid OT to their benefits, hands down, they have a better deal. But, from reading their comments on this site, they act as if they are in a prison with bread and water.

• Like 8

LOL, good one. Me and my salaried counterparts work a lot harder than the skilled trades who have their hiding places, disappear or are playing cards all day long. If you want to go tit-for-tat on this, you will lose. Those on the line definitely earn their money, they work their asses off all day long.

Where do you think I've been working for the past 15 years? I'd hate for one of you salaried types get your shirts dirty or maybe break a nail on the line.

• Like 2

Where do you think I've been working for the past 15 years? I'd hate for one of you salaried types get your shirts dirty or maybe break a nail on the line.

You must not read what I write, read it again I do say line workers work their asses off all day long. In fact, the salaried workers I'm with do, too. Geez, get a life!

• Like 5

You must not read what I write, read it again I do say line workers work their asses off all day long. In fact, the salaried workers I'm with do, too. Geez, get a life!

I DID read what you posted. That's why I pointed out that I do work on the line, so maybe you'd catch on as to why I have such a disparaging idea of what you salaried types do, or more to the point, don't, do. You come here and troll, make back-handed compliments to us working people, say we work hard and then whine that we have decent benefits..I'd say it's YOU who could stand to find a better use for your time.

• Like 2

Sorry I've read this post for some time and I need to ask a question. Are you trying to present an argument that because salary health plans have deductibles, that hourly people should be grateful they do not have the co-pays? Because my opinion is, if you look at total compensation package there are trade offs. If you have a health care package with low out of pocket expense, then you maybe giving up defined raises, or matching 401 K contribution, or lease car.... Somewhere in that benefit package, there are differences that offset total compensation. Something in the compensation package must have been attractive for you to seek a position in the salary pay ranks as opposed to seeking an hourly position. Its difficult to compare apples to oranges, a better example might be what percentage of total benefits does health care coverage equal in the two benefit packages. Again just an opinion

• Like 2

hey I am tired of you bad mouthed skilled trades yes ,some play cards at lunch or breaks ,but as soon as that line is down they are running around like chickens with their head cut off and some our so stress out ,you got 1000 people waiting around doing while skilled trade person is trying to get that line to run ,how many production worker got limbs cut off and kill or hurt badly ,rushing to save the company money ,they say for every minute were down ford loses about 8000 dollars.We are on call just like a fireman or policeman ,what do you think they our doing when their isn't any trouble or fires,drive by firehouse they r shooting basketballs or chilling outside in the summer,or playing cards in fire house ,its same here they don't start fires or trouble ,they died them out and pm these machines whenever they r down to prevent future breakdown ,all this new equipment thats being put in is done on the weekend ,if u want to play with 440 volts or fix machines go to school ,which is never ending

because techonogy is always changing ,,I know for a fact they died early and have no family life and live at the plant ,real high divorce rate .Living on the edge is not healthy ,try a sprint ,thats what they do and then they sit and wait for the next one.Yes their their are some lazy one just like any other jobs in the plant.If it wasn't for them you would not have a job to go too ,because time is money.

• Like 2

Don't be a Hater, go back to school and get an education and become a Tradesman.

• Like 1