How about simplifying the Ranger lineup?

PolarBear

We've got a great little truck in the Ranger. It's got a golden reputation for durability and reliability. It's priced right. Yes, it's an older design, but it's found a lot of friends over the years- and continues to be competitive.

The problem? I'm counting 27 base versions of this truck. Honestly, how hard is this- 2 box sizes, two cab configurations, 2 or 4 wheel-drive, three engines, shift it yourself or let the truck do it.

Seven Trim Levels? How many do we need? It's gotten to the point, from a dealership perspective, that you can't even figure out what to stock. Worse, you'd need to carry a few hundred just to adequately cover all the bases.

And consider the customer. Too many choices often means it's difficult to make a decision- and we all know what that means, right?

Sooo.... lets make our sensible little truck... sensible. To order, and to buy.

Edited by PolarBear

We've got a great little truck in the Ranger. It's got a golden reputation for durability and reliability. It's priced right. Yes, it's an older design, but it's found a lot of friends over the years- and continues to be competitive.

The problem? I'm counting 27 base versions of this truck. Honestly, how hard is this- 2 box sizes, two cab configurations, 2 or 4 wheel-drive, three engines, shift it yourself or let the truck do it.

Seven Trim Levels? How many do we need? It's gotten to the point, from a dealership perspective, that you can't even figure out what to stock. Worse, you'd need to carry a few hundred just to adequately cover all the bases.

And consider the customer. Too many choices often means it's difficult to make a decision- and we all know what that means, right?

choice is something the Ranger offers that the Japanese do not.

True- they offer fewer choices...and increasing market share. ;) Ever visited a clothing store and walked out empty handed because you couldn't make up your mind? We got a lot of that going on in this product line.

True- they offer fewer choices...and increasing market share. ;) Ever visited a clothing store and walked out empty handed because you couldn't make up your mind? We got a lot of that going on in this product line.

fair point. I for 1 do like the choice still offered by Ford, GM and Dodge.

I don't like being told that there are only 2 trim levels. Engine A with trim 1 and engine B with trim 2. Oh tyou want engine B? Well then you have to trade up.

Maybe too much choice is a bad thing, but at the same time I do not appreciate Japanese one-size-fits-all option packages.

Maybe there is a happy medium. I'm just not sure where that is.

And yeah, it's got to be hell for the dealers trying to stock all the models.

Edited by J-150

fair point. I for 1 do like the choice still offered by Ford, GM and Dodge.

I don't like being told that there are only 2 trim levels. Engine A with trim 1 and engine B with trim 2. Oh tyou want engine B? Well then you have to trade up.

Maybe too much choice is a bad thing, but at the same time I do not appreciate Japanese one-size-fits-all option packages.

Maybe there is a happy medium. I'm just not sure where that is.

And yeah, it's got to be hell for the dealers trying to stock all the models.

Here's a few suggestions: Knock down the trim levels to three: XL, XLT, and Sport/Edge, or whatever you want to call it. Package up Tilt/Cruise and the Pwr Group- most buyers that want one take the other too. Off-Road packages, if offered, could be option packages, not models. It's questionable how important these are- are fully loaded FX4 Level II goes squarely into F150 dollars, and that's not the market here.

Value is the key word in this product line- and value in the Ranger is defined as durability and reliability. There's a 27 page thread going on another website simply titled simply "how many miles on your Ranger?" 200,000 doesn't even get you into the hunt. 300,000 is honorable mention, but it'll take over 500,000 to get into the hall of fame. I think 650,000 is the current record. Toyota who? :rolleyes:

What we've got here is the last "wheelbarrow truck." Honest, simple, functional value- and it has to be profitable to produce. If I were advertising these things, I'd be hammering two simple features- affordable price and durability. It's a key product line too- Ranger buyers won't be driving little trucks forever, but their first Blue Oval experience needs to be a positive one to keep them in the family (just ask Toyota). We've got the right product, now let's make it easier for the customer to buy one.

Edited by PolarBear

In conjunction with this, I hope Ford extends their "Keep It Simple" program, if not the current price discounts.

Simplifying the Ranger lineup, and offering "no haggle" pricing (for dealers that want to participate), might do some good.

I think some new gadgets for it, and some targeted marketing will also do some good. Sort of a go-anywhere do-anything "fun" vehicle for you and two good friends and one guy you don't mind stuffing in the jump seat, that also gets very good gas mileage 'round town ('specially with a tonneau cover).

Between simplifying the lineup, jazzing up the advertising, and emphasizing the value price, there might be some life left in the ol' Ranger. At least enough to see it through to a serious upgrade.

I think some new gadgets for it, and some targeted marketing will also do some good. Sort of a go-anywhere do-anything "fun" vehicle for you and two good friends and one guy you don't mind stuffing in the jump seat, that also gets very good gas mileage 'round town ('specially with a tonneau cover).

They did a test on Mythbusters about leaving the tailgate up or down and if it saved gas mileage if you did leave it down...it happens that you use MORE gas if the tailgate is down, due to the low presure pocket that is formed in the truckbed that allows air to flow over it easier LOL

I dont think a Tonneau cover would do much for MPG :)

They did a test on Mythbusters about leaving the tailgate up or down and if it saved gas mileage if you did leave it down...it happens that you use MORE gas if the tailgate is down, due to the low presure pocket that is formed in the truckbed that allows air to flow over it easier LOL

I dont think a Tonneau cover would do much for MPG :)

Meh. Best I've got is anecdotal experience.

However, a tonneau cover doesn't create the problem having the tailgate down creates. The gate remains up, and while there would be no "locked vortex flow", there would also be no exposed pickup bed.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what would REALLY set the Ranger ablaze in the minds of people everywhere....is this:

Take the SAME approach with the Ranger that was taken with the F-150 for 2004.

Re-engineer it from the ground up.

Employ many of the same technologies used in the F150 into the Ranger. Make it tougher, give it an even better ride, more payload.

Then watch .... and LAUGH... as the competition tries to top it.

As we know from 16 years of Ranger-led sales leadership, they don't stand a chance.

Meh. Best I've got is anecdotal experience.

However, a tonneau cover doesn't create the problem having the tailgate down creates. The gate remains up, and while there would be no "locked vortex flow", there would also be no exposed pickup bed.

It has become very obvious that FoMoCo has no interest in the Ranger. Although is has been recognized as the top vehicle in this segment, it doesn't even show up at the Detroit Auto Show. The assembly plant where the Ranger is built has also been recognised as one of the top assembly plants in North America in quality and cost. Go figure, FoMoCo will make another mark in history by closing it's #1 assembly plant for the sake of the "bottom line" :blink:

Ford should spend some money on the Ranger and redesign it. I've owned two, a 1999 and 2002, the latter being riddled with quality issues. I know some are just fine, but mine had a leaky driver's door that the dealer never could fix, a driveshaft that wore out at 7000 miles, adjustable driver's seat lumbar that broke, along with other smaller bugs. I finally got sick of getting a wet arm at the car wash and traded it in on a Tundra.

It's too bad, it could've been a great little truck. But the competition's all now bigger mid-sized trucks that are way more modern in the design.

C'mon Ford, you've redesigned the F-150 twice since the Ranger. You're gonna lose the compact-truck market if you don't redo this antique platform.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? Like how they offer the choice of a crew cab version? That single lack of choice is why instead of buying my 3rd Ranger, I bought my first foreign vehicle ever - a Nissan Frontier. The F150 crew cab was too big for what I needed, and with the new Sport Trac was coming out so I didn't want to be stuck with the previous version.

I'm sure somewhere in Ford, they have argued that if they make the Ranger bigger they will cause people to buy that vs. the F150. But they totally miss the fact that there are probably even more people who will just skip Ford entirely and buy from someone else. And in the future if I do look for a full sized truck, there is a good chance that I'll consider the Titan or Tundra now too.

Really? Like how they offer the choice of a crew cab version? That single lack of choice is why instead of buying my 3rd Ranger, I bought my first foreign vehicle ever - a Nissan Frontier. The F150 crew cab was too big for what I needed, and with the new Sport Trac was coming out so I didn't want to be stuck with the previous version.

I'm sure somewhere in Ford, they have argued that if they make the Ranger bigger they will cause people to buy that vs. the F150. But they totally miss the fact that there are probably even more people who will just skip Ford entirely and buy from someone else. And in the future if I do look for a full sized truck, there is a good chance that I'll consider the Titan or Tundra now too.

so you would consider a Titan because Ford doesnt have a crewcab Ranger.

hahahahahahahahaha

loser

I have owned three Rangers and have loved those little trucks. Unfortunately I have seen a significant decline in quality and reliability over these three purchases.

1994 Ranger XLT 4x4 3.0L 5-Speed Manual- Great truck. Owned it for four years and put on 80,000 problem free miles. Traded it in for a 98 since I wanted the bigger engine and a few more options.

1998 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L 5-Speed Manual- Good truck nice power and torque. Lots of electrical problems and dash lights that would burn out constantly. This year had the pulse vacuum hubs that would go out every 10 months. I realized this repair would cost me around $1,800 a pop once my warranty was up. Unloaded this truck as soon as my warranty ran out.

2002 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L SOHC 5-Speed Manual - Lots of fit and finish issues such as carpet that was installed crooked, thin paint spots where primer was visible, leaky door seals, interior materials seemed lower quality than the last two trucks. Clutch master cylinder was replaced twice, slave cylinder was replaced once, transmission locked up and was replaced at 20,000 miles, timing chain rattle between 3 and 4 thousand RMPs, water pump failed at 30,000 miles. Leaks in power steering lines and front and rear axle seals. I am now at 46,000 miles and the 2-3 syncros are going out in the transmission.

I am now in the market for a Toyota Tacoma.

Edited by SnowGoAK

Glad to hear someone else had the issue wiht the dashlights by the way. After the third trip to the dealer, I went out and bought "long life Sylvania" bulbs at the auto parts store, replaced ALL the gauge cluster lights, and haven't had a problem at all.

The only issues I have had with my Ranger (2002 4cyl, 5spd) is directly related to low quality "pieces parts" being used. Battery split down the side and leaked, ball joint failure, and dashboard lights. Imagine the reliabilty of this truck with decent, long life, reliable parts...

I'm sure somewhere in Ford, they have argued that if they make the Ranger bigger they will cause people to buy that vs. the F150. But they totally miss the fact that there are probably even more people who will just skip Ford entirely and buy from someone else.

Good point. I was in something of the same boat when I was pickup-shopping a year ago. The Ranger is a fine little pickup but I wanted more room than it could offer in the extended cab, and a little more box length too; I had no need for a crew cab, so the Sport Trac was out; and the F-150 was just too big (particularly the increased box wall height, which was a step backward as far as I'm concerned.)

Good point. I was in something of the same boat when I was pickup-shopping a year ago. The Ranger is a fine little pickup but I wanted more room than it could offer in the extended cab, and a little more box length too; I had no need for a crew cab, so the Sport Trac was out; and the F-150 was just too big (particularly the increased box wall height, which was a step backward as far as I'm concerned.)

I use my Ranger to haul almost anyting I would haul in an F-150. I was hesitant when I got my first one as well but it turned out to be perfectly fine for everything I needed it for. The new 4.0 SOHC is a good engine. The first ranger I had I was 4 wheeling and drove through deep water which got inside the air intake and bent valves and con rods. Then I blew the front end out of it. Smashed it up. Wrecked clutches. Ripped off mirrors, and drove into fence posts. I had BFG tires on it and loved it. Still have the truck and the body and chrome still looks good after 10 years. The new one is an FX and is a great truck with the 4 doors. I just wish that ford would put some electric mustang seats in it.

The thing the Ranger really needs are seats. Perferably electric mustang seats.

so you would consider a Titan because Ford doesnt have a crewcab Ranger.

hahahahahahahahaha

loser

I'll explain this in simple terms for you, since you seemed to have missed my point.

I wanted a mid-sized truck with 4 full doors. Ford had nothing that met what I wanted, so I bought my first foreign vehicle ever (in fact my first non-Ford vehicle ever). Now that I've owned a foreign vehicle, when it comes time to replace my current truck there is a very good chance that I'll consider *any* brand of full sized truck.

In case you still missed it - Ford lost a loyal customer who just might never come back. Simple enough for you?

Last week our new Ford of Canada President was in Town who mentioned that there is no further strategy to keep building the Ranger beyond 2007. He mentioned the possibility of a new import type truck on a smaller scale then the present Ranger. So with the high price of gas for 2007 we are going to have to sell F-Series.

The ranger acoording to him is not profitable for the Company.

Last week our new Ford of Canada President was in Town who mentioned that there is no further strategy to keep building the Ranger beyond 2007. He mentioned the possibility of a new import type truck on a smaller scale then the present Ranger. So with the high price of gas for 2007 we are going to have to sell F-Series.

The ranger acoording to him is not profitable for the Company.

These are the same people that can't understand how the imports grabbed the market share they did.... :rolleyes: