How to handle a threat from the local UAW Chairman?

Broken Down

I'm looking for some advice and direction from my union brothers and sisters so that I can get some resolution to constant harrassment and threats made toward me since I transferred from Michigan out west in 2007. I'm a 22 yr. employee and come from a plant of 1900 that was closed. I understand the workings of the union, the representatives responsibilities, the politics and Ford policy. I have entered a facility that follows no coherent rule or policy when it comes to the shop floor or cutting back room deals with management. I'm frustrated with HR and their lack of support when I bring them legitimate complaints. The latest confrontation has pushed me over the edge and I am determined to find a resolution, so I am turning to those who I think can help, my union brothers and sisters back in the zone of union rules and accountability. Here's my issue:

Myself and a fellow transfer asked for a particular DAY OFF (personal time) a month in advance. We were both denied by mngmnt. because it was a MANDATORY 9 hr. work day. The union Chairman was asked to intervene. He came back and said the day was blocked for EVERYONE so the time would NOT be granted. Case closed in my opinion. When the day came, our union Chairman personally worked on the floor to help a "friend" finish his work in 2 hrs. They both left the building at 7pm while myself and the other employee who had asked for the time off were forced to stay till 10:30pm , the FULL 9 hrs. This was a deal worked out with the supervisor. Everyone involved, from the supervisor to the Chairman were well aware that we had asked and been denied the time off. Both myself and the other employee have MORE SENIORITY than the employee who left with the Chairman. In addition to this, another "friend" of the Chairman was AWOL on this day. Discussions the following day with the plant mngr. about WHY an employee was allowed to leave when we were told it was MANDATORY resulted in "it never should have happened and my supervisors have been talked to" along with the assurance that ANYONE who missed the mandatory work day would not be granted personal time after the fact. They would be marked AWOL. As you have probably already guessed, the AWOL for the "friend" who never showed for work was changed to E-time on the DROT the following week. So the day was mandatory and unavailable for myself and another employee a month in advance yet given to another employee who is a "friend" of the Chairman after not bothering to even show up! The Chairman also cut a deal with mngmnt. to work on the floor and leave early with another "friend" and union member. I hope everyone can see my frustration and understand my anger.

The other employee reported this to HR the following week. This resulted in the UAW Chairman confronting ME on the floor, in front of other union members just minutes into my shift. I won't go into all the details but I will say that he was threatening, hostile and aggressive. He was yelling at me about him getting in some type of trouble and said (among other things) "I'm just sayin - you'd better shut your f***ing mouth!" I immediately told him not to threaten me. Yes, this is MY union Chairman!

My question after this incident is how exactly do I handle this? I spoke with HR about the threat and they have yet to even follow up with statements from the people who were standing there when it happened. Are there any other avenues that I can pursue? I have NEVER been threatened by a union official in my entire time as a UAW member. I refuse to accept this treatment from anyone. Let me just say that this is NOT the first incident of harrassment in this facility, nor will it be the last I'm sure, but I'm determined to bring some accountability when I can. I would appreciate any and all comments and guidance in regards to what direction I should take.

The UAW code of Ethics clearly states that any and all union members have the right to freely criticize the policies and personalities of union officials.

Thanks to all...

I'm looking for some advice and direction from my union brothers and sisters so that I can get some resolution to constant harrassment and threats made toward me since I transferred from Michigan out west in 2007. I'm a 22 yr. employee and come from a plant of 1900 that was closed. I understand the workings of the union, the representatives responsibilities, the politics and Ford policy. I have entered a facility that follows no coherent rule or policy when it comes to the shop floor or cutting back room deals with management. I'm frustrated with HR and their lack of support when I bring them legitimate complaints. The latest confrontation has pushed me over the edge and I am determined to find a resolution, so I am turning to those who I think can help, my union brothers and sisters back in the zone of union rules and accountability. Here's my issue:

Myself and a fellow transfer asked for a particular DAY OFF (personal time) a month in advance. We were both denied by mngmnt. because it was a MANDATORY 9 hr. work day. The union Chairman was asked to intervene. He came back and said the day was blocked for EVERYONE so the time would NOT be granted. Case closed in my opinion. When the day came, our union Chairman personally worked on the floor to help a "friend" finish his work in 2 hrs. They both left the building at 7pm while myself and the other employee who had asked for the time off were forced to stay till 10:30pm , the FULL 9 hrs. This was a deal worked out with the supervisor. Everyone involved, from the supervisor to the Chairman were well aware that we had asked and been denied the time off. Both myself and the other employee have MORE SENIORITY than the employee who left with the Chairman. In addition to this, another "friend" of the Chairman was AWOL on this day. Discussions the following day with the plant mngr. about WHY an employee was allowed to leave when we were told it was MANDATORY resulted in "it never should have happened and my supervisors have been talked to" along with the assurance that ANYONE who missed the mandatory work day would not be granted personal time after the fact. They would be marked AWOL. As you have probably already guessed, the AWOL for the "friend" who never showed for work was changed to E-time on the DROT the following week. So the day was mandatory and unavailable for myself and another employee a month in advance yet given to another employee who is a "friend" of the Chairman after not bothering to even show up! The Chairman also cut a deal with mngmnt. to work on the floor and leave early with another "friend" and union member. I hope everyone can see my frustration and understand my anger.

The other employee reported this to HR the following week. This resulted in the UAW Chairman confronting ME on the floor, in front of other union members just minutes into my shift. I won't go into all the details but I will say that he was threatening, hostile and aggressive. He was yelling at me about him getting in some type of trouble and said (among other things) "I'm just sayin - you'd better shut your f***ing mouth!" I immediately told him not to threaten me. Yes, this is MY union Chairman!

My question after this incident is how exactly do I handle this? I spoke with HR about the threat and they have yet to even follow up with statements from the people who were standing there when it happened. Are there any other avenues that I can pursue? I have NEVER been threatened by a union official in my entire time as a UAW member. I refuse to accept this treatment from anyone. Let me just say that this is NOT the first incident of harrassment in this facility, nor will it be the last I'm sure, but I'm determined to bring some accountability when I can. I would appreciate any and all comments and guidance in regards to what direction I should take.

The UAW code of Ethics clearly states that any and all union members have the right to freely criticize the policies and personalities of union officials.

Thanks to all...

Wow a another chairman who thinks he gods gift to the plant! Good luck brother .

Thanks to all...

If you have been at Ford for 22 years, you should know that some people get preferential treatment. If this is your first experience with this, welcome to the club.

• Like 1

If you have been at Ford for 22 years, you should know that some people get preferential treatment. If this is your first experience with this, welcome to the club.

Ha! That's hilarious. You're right about the preferential treatment but good God, threats? Sorry but that's not gonna fly with me. There is a line that can be crossed. I don't pay union dues so some self annointed King can bend the rules and become offensive toward me. Yea, I'm pretty PISSED about it! Thanks for the input...

• Like 3

I Had a sitting chairmen threatenme during election time while I was reporting events. I handled it you same way you did. I posted it on the net. Within a few days mysteriously parts were reported to have been shipped from my operation. It was untrue, cause I was damn good at my job, and I shipped nothing when I worked the line. Stay on it, don't give him the rope to hang you. Don't miss work, and don't miss parts, the chairmen will hang you out to dry if given the chance. If you had a whitness you could file a complaint in labor. It's a slippery slope. Be careful.

• Like 1

I Had a sitting chairmen threatenme during election time while I was reporting events. I handled it you same way you did. I posted it on the net. Within a few days mysteriously parts were reported to have been shipped from my operation. It was untrue, cause I was damn good at my job, and I shipped nothing when I worked the line. Stay on it, don't give him the rope to hang you. Don't miss work, and don't miss parts, the chairmen will hang you out to dry if given the chance. If you had a whitness you could file a complaint in labor. It's a slippery slope. Be careful.

Thanks for the input. Filed the complaint with labor both through the Hotline and the facility labor rep. Unfortunately, she is not an onsite rep. and it seems as though she doesn't really want to get involved. As it stands now, over week after reporting it, she has YET to take statements from the witnesses standing next to me. Unbelievable! I plan on calling the Hotline again and trying to speak with a labor rep in Dearborn so that I can get the ball rolling and nobody can dodge this issue for personal reasons. After that, if Ford fails in their responsibilities to protect me in the workplace, I will have to consider outside intervention. I fully understand the ramifications and sabotage that is probably being planned as I write this but I keep my nose clean and do my job. I won't be intimidated by a UAW local that has been turned and twisted into a gang.

Thanks for the advice...

Thanks to all...

IN my 23 years you ask once for the day off and if they say no you just don't show up, take the AWOL one won't kill you.

Thanks for the input. Filed the complaint with labor both through the Hotline and the facility labor rep. Unfortunately, she is not an onsite rep. and it seems as though she doesn't really want to get involved. As it stands now, over week after reporting it, she has YET to take statements from the witnesses standing next to me. Unbelievable! I plan on calling the Hotline again and trying to speak with a labor rep in Dearborn so that I can get the ball rolling and nobody can dodge this issue for personal reasons. After that, if Ford fails in their responsibilities to protect me in the workplace, I will have to consider outside intervention. I fully understand the ramifications and sabotage that is probably being planned as I write this but I keep my nose clean and do my job. I won't be intimidated by a UAW local that has been turned and twisted into a gang.

Thanks for the advice...

WTF , 22yrs? If you need a day off and have "kept your nose clean" take the fucking day! Don't drag other members down who may have gotten excused and you didn't ! Sorry...but your story sucks and blows. I'm not saying the chairman didn't say those "Awful" words to you (big fucking deal) but so what if he did? Seriously! Be a fucking man and tell him where he can go. It's nobodys job to protect you but YOU ! Not ford, chairman, safety, security, so..on, and so-on. Knock it off and grow a set after 22yrs already..You fucking sound like Chucky anyway...Dont think for one second they wont get involved either ! They love this kind of crap.

• Like 1

WTF , 22yrs? If you need a day off and have "kept your nose clean" take the fucking day! Don't drag other members down who may have gotten excused and you didn't ! Sorry...but your story sucks and blows. I'm not saying the chairman didn't say those "Awful" words to you (big fucking deal) but so what if he did? Seriously! Be a fucking man and tell him where he can go. It's nobodys job to protect you but YOU ! Not ford, chairman, safety, security, so..on, and so-on. Knock it off and grow a set after 22yrs already..You fucking sound like Chucky anyway...Dont think for one second they wont get involved either ! They love this kind of crap.

Good Point jeter and if that happened tell your Chairman to F**K OFF jeez are you a pussy Broken Down :hysterical:

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice...

In a perfect world your Union constitution is suppose to be your protection, and it's bi-laws could be a basis for a complaint with the UAW officer that violates it's provisions. The International has the authority to reprimand and even replace an officer. They also have the authority to comendeer an entire local, and install I-Reps in their place till a previsionary election could be held to replace them perminently. However, it is just for astetics. Cause if the I-UAW was to get involved they would likely side with the chairmen, and exhaust your complaint through process with no resolution to cover his ass.

I have seen valid grievances in conection with an employees termination handled like this. The local was not going to fight for this man's job, and when the vote came up at the local meeting, the president advised the local to vote against supporting this man's grievance, suggesting to him the International was the best avenue. He shot this man down, and told him that his best bet was to file an appeal with the international. The man obviously did not understand what was going on. He would have had No need to file an appeal, if the local president had not coercively shot support for his grievance down.

In either case, his or yours. The local & International reps will cover for eachother, it's a brotherhood.

Best bet is to either call an attorney, and/or call the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board)

Edited by Furious1Auto
  • Like 2

That solved the problem how again? You and Jeter talk a lot about growing a set or being a pussy but that's not going to solve the issue at hand. There's plenty of time for the macho man attitude.

They may be right though. It might be much simpler to get angry at the chairmen and tell him to go f#ck himself yelling and going off on him. If he thinks your crazy, or plain just don't care he will be less likely to keep on. Some people have to be delt with that way to get it. All the avenues I just suggested take you to the road to nowhere. Even the Labor hoax is worthless, they are sitting in cushy jobs, and wait for the clock to strike 5 so they can go home. The job only exists because of the national labor relations act.

• Like 1

Thanks to all...

My best advice to you is to go on the UAW for department facebook which it looks to me like a lot of union reps read and voice this same complaint on that site.....this will get the ball rolling. Beware some of those same threatening jerks work for the I.U.A.W, I know one such person who is a regional rep. He set up his cuties constantly. No seniority was ever valued and an equalization sheet (this guy never heard of one) yet he was the Chairman of the plant. Let your local know immediately, if nothing goes, let international know. Harassment should not be tolerated by the representatives that represent you.

• Like 1

My best advice to you is to go on the UAW for department facebook which it looks to me like a lot of union reps read and voice this same complaint on that site.....this will get the ball rolling. Beware some of those same threatening jerks work for the I.U.A.W, I know one such person who is a regional rep. He set up his cuties constantly. No seniority was ever valued and an equalization sheet (this guy never heard of one) yet he was the Chairman of the plant. Let your local know immediately, if nothing goes, let international know. Harassment should not be tolerated by the representatives that represent you.

Going to the I-UAW to complain about a local official is like, going to a mother and telling her that her child did something wrong. Although your compliant will be heard, they have a willingness to protect their child before making a correction. They will only back off of protecting the chairmen if the heat is on, by other authorities. If they think they can contain the damage then there will be no resolution. If they investgate your complaint they first will call the Cahirmen and ask him what's going on because he is the highest authority in the local.

At this point the investigating I-Rep and the Chairmen will be discussing you the cmplaint as a problem. They will inform the local Chairmen to have no contact with you while the International formulates a game plan to implicate you to cover their ass. This is when the local starts digging through your record to find history that discredits you. The chairmen and his

Apointees will view you as an oppenent, and try to have you fired for just cause, and discredit your complaint painting you

a trouble maker.

Through all this it's a waste to try to file an official complaint. It would be allot less stressful for you to tell the Chairmen to

go f#ck himself, and tell him what you think of him and his threats without whitnesses. Maybe let him know you have his

home address. LOL Whatever you say be sure he has no whitnesses, and that the conversation is not being recorded.

I was able to go the hard way, and could have filed charges cause I had a spotless record, was never even late to work once during my career. They had nothing on me, and they knew it. Know that if you peruse official charges, anything you may have to hide will become public knowledge during the process.

If you choose to take action make the complaint against the Chairmen directly and not the UAW or Ford, make it his problem, not their problem. You don't want to give him allies, you don't want people who have legal access to your entire work history on his team. If he aquires dirt on you he has to obtain the information legally for the evidence to be admissable. The union is bonded, and have money to fight you. Ford has allot more money and attorneys on retainer. If you sue the Chair and his cohorts directly then the process will go faster, and will cost you allot less, plus you will have better odds of winning your case.

Edited by Furious1Auto
  • Like 1

I am not a lawyer but assuming what you say is true,I suppose if you have witnesses that you might be able to obtain a restraining order against this person.On a human note and as a UAW brother may I suggest taking your paycheck every week,take it in stride as 'par for the course' and try your best to ignore all the people with whom you work, who chose to be cruel and ignorant.Sorry to here about your troubles.Good-Luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice...

While i can empathize with your original complaint you are taking it too far now.. Did he kick your ass? NO...Did he say he was gonna kick your ass? Sounds like no...He told you to shut your mouth which even with babies in third grade happens. Stop being a PU#$% and move on bro..Your making an ASS of yourself

• Like 1

I am not a lawyer but assuming what you say is true,I suppose if you have witnesses that you might be able to obtain a restraining order against this person.On a human note and as a UAW brother may I suggest taking your paycheck every week,take it in stride as 'par for the course' and try your best to ignore all the people with whom you work, who chose to be cruel and ignorant.Sorry to here about your troubles.Good-Luck.

what in the hell are you going to sue him for?? Your poor feelings got hurt? He made you cry all over your new blouse?...It would cost you more in attorneys fees than you could possibly win(if you could find an attorney to take this retarded case)...what a effin sissy

• Like 1

I'm going with this is a bullshit story. It seems to go past what Jeter says.

Just my opinion but several things don't seem right here.

1. You went directly to your chairman over a day off? Not District or Plant committee?

2. You went to management about union behavior instead of going to the union or at least complaining in the union meeting.

3. You don't know how to take a day off or your worried about a single occurrence.

4. You didn't expect to get yelled at by the chairman? What do you expect to happen?

This can't be true. I don't believe it.

He may work at a HVC. Broken Down...Do you work at a HVC??

• Like 2

Thanks to all...

Don't you just love fairytales?? I'm sure your a model union brother who cannot figure out why the chairman would even dare say something to you for absolutely no reason? Hmmm?

While i can empathize with your original complaint you are taking it too far now.. Did he kick your ass? NO...Did he say he was gonna kick your ass? Sounds like no...He told you to shut your mouth which even with babies in third grade happens. Stop being a PU#$% and move on bro..Your making an ASS of yourself

[/quote

Listen up! This is NOT an isolated incident. Read what I wrote! This is simply the result of me ignoring the rest of the shit they've done, in concert. The last time I responded and told them that I didn't appreciate what they were saying and that this was their warning to stop I got time off for making a threat. Duh! Throwing around F bombs and getting in their face is playing right into their hands. Outside of Ford motor I can handle myself but when I'm under their roof and on their time I'm bound by certain rules. One of which is to NOT be hostile regardless. If someone thinks this means I need to grow a pair then they don't know me. If someone has an issue with me then address it with my supervisor and he can talk to me about it, otherwise, you have no authority. If you get caught with your pants down doing the wrong thing and someone calls you out it MAN UP! and accept the consequences. Don't come crying to me with threats and innuendos. I know we work in a no skill environment but act like a professional for Christ sake. Losing your temper and acting like a fool in front of everyone is MY definition of making an ASS of yourself. I'll simply stand by and watch.

• Like 2

I'm going with this is a bullshit story. It seems to go past what Jeter says.

Just my opinion but several things don't seem right here.

1. You went directly to your chairman over a day off? Not District or Plant committee?

2. You went to management about union behavior instead of going to the union or at least complaining in the union meeting.

3. You don't know how to take a day off or your worried about a single occurrence.

4. You didn't expect to get yelled at by the chairman? What do you expect to happen?

This can't be true. I don't believe it.

1. Next step WAS the Chairman. Nobody else in my plant.

2. I went to mngmnt over THEIR behavior, not the union. THEY authorized the time off. It was a deal made btwn the shift sprvsr and the Chairman. Union meetings are few and far btwn. The union IS the Chairman. Understand?

3. Obviously I KNOW how to take a day off. It was DENIED. An AWOL on that day would have cost me holiday pay for the prior day. Explain to me how someone doesn't show up and get's paid regardless on a mandatory day? Exactly! The issue was with the company at this point, again.

4. I expected the Chairman to act like an adult. Quit taking business personally. If he worked to favor one member over another for time off then he IS WRONG. If it was something done in error, which I don't buy, then explain it to me. People F**K UP, I get it. But if this was a planned maneuver to get time off for his buddy knowing full well myself and another co-worker had already asked well, kinda inexcusable. Represent everyone fairly. Be a professional. Take your personal feelings out of it and don't lose your mind and complain when someone calls you out on it! What did HE THINK WOULD HAPPEN?

• Like 3

Listen up! This is NOT an isolated incident. Read what I wrote! This is simply the result of me ignoring the rest of the shit they've done, in concert. The last time I responded and told them that I didn't appreciate what they were saying and that this was their warning to stop I got time off for making a threat. Duh! Throwing around F bombs and getting in their face is playing right into their hands. Outside of Ford motor I can handle myself but when I'm under their roof and on their time I'm bound by certain rules. One of which is to NOT be hostile regardless. If someone thinks this means I need to grow a pair then they don't know me. If someone has an issue with me then address it with my supervisor and he can talk to me about it, otherwise, you have no authority. If you get caught with your pants down doing the wrong thing and someone calls you out it MAN UP! and accept the consequences. Don't come crying to me with threats and innuendos. I know we work in a no skill environment but act like a professional for Christ sake. Losing your temper and acting like a fool in front of everyone is MY definition of making an ASS of yourself. I'll simply stand by and watch.

Lighten up Francis

• Like 3

Thanks to all...

THIS FORUM IS FOR FORD EMPLOYEES ONLY! TAKE YOUR DIVISION SOMEPLACE ELSE YOU RIGHT WING PLANT!

• Like 2

2. I went to mngmnt over THEIR behavior, not the union. THEY authorized the time off. It was a deal made btwn the shift sprvsr and the Chairman. Union meetings are few and far btwn. The union IS the Chairman. Understand?

3. Obviously I KNOW how to take a day off. It was DENIED. An AWOL on that day would have cost me holiday pay for the prior day. Explain to me how someone doesn't show up and get's paid regardless on a mandatory day? Exactly! The issue was with the company at this point, again.

4. I expected the Chairman to act like an adult. Quit taking business personally. If he worked to favor one member over another for time off then he IS WRONG. If it was something done in error, which I don't buy, then explain it to me. People F**K UP, I get it. But if this was a planned maneuver to get time off for his buddy knowing full well myself and another co-worker had already asked well, kinda inexcusable. Represent everyone fairly. Be a professional. Take your personal feelings out of it and don't lose your mind and complain when someone calls you out on it! What did HE THINK WOULD HAPPEN?

"The enemy comes like a thief in the night, seeking whom he may devour." You are a fraud! Looking to create division among the ranks! A Right wing RAT is what you are.

Edited by Die Wahrheit
  • Like 1

Dude...If you wanted time off so bad take an AWOL..Or are you about to be shitcanned for attendance?? If you come om here and say "Ive never had an AWOL in my life" im gonna puke...I hate when people bitch and moan they cant get a day off when the could use one of their alloted "unexcused" days...STOP being a effing sissy dude.

• Like 1