New Intelligent AWD video

MKII

in that video, given that both sets of wheels are moving and the vehicle isn't bottomed out on anything, the limiting factor is obviously traction (ie the tires). Slamming the gas to dig holes in the snow sure didn't help things.

Are you trying to suggest that in order for AWD or 4WD to work effectively you need at least one wheel with traction?

Isn't that what traction control does? That's how it works on my Mustang.

Kinda sorta, but indirectly. It stops the wheel that's spinning which forces torque to the other wheel. But it also cuts engine power in most cases. And it doesn't always work on all 4 wheels.

in that video, given that both sets of wheels are moving and the vehicle isn't bottomed out on anything, the limiting factor is obviously traction (ie the tires). Slamming the gas to dig holes in the snow sure didn't help things.

Also, that's an old generation Kuga, not the one that's the same as the 2013 Escape.

The video was posted years ago according to youtube.

• 4 months later...

It's my opinion that AWD systems still require a decent set of snow/ice rated tires to be truely effective on snow and ice covered roads.. I drove an AWD Subaru for a couple of years in Canadian winter conditions with 4 season tires until the government made it mandatory to install winter tires here in Quebec, Canada. I purchased a set of Winter Blizzaks and wow what a difference.

So pretty much that Intelligent 4wd is actually AWD but they just want to marketed as intelligent 4wd.

Technically speaking there is no real difference between AWD and 4WD. Both versions send power to all 4 wheels.

Traditionally AWD was used for automatic systems that are always on and which send power to the non-default driven axle only as needed. (like Ford crossovers and sedans)

4WD is traditionally used to designate a system where the torque can be forced to all 4 wheels all the time (like Ford trucks and RWD SUVs).

What Ford did in this case is add some intelligence to the normal AWD system with terrain selection and other software features and called it 4WD.

Since there is no actual standard for what gets called which one, it's up to the mfr based on how they want to market the vehicle.