Head of SVT/RS leaves Ford

Full disclosure: As you can see from the username and the byline, I wrote this. I won't be getting rich (or any money at all) as a result of the traffic, but I thought you folks might find the information of interest. Thanks!

Jost-Capito-and-his-toys.jpg

Ford and its director of Global Performance Vehicles, Jost Capito, are parting ways, the company confirmed to Car and Driver this afternoon. During an 11-year tenure with Ford, Capito oversaw the development of the SVT Raptor and the upcoming Focus ST and Fiesta ST. Working in Europe from 2001 to 2009, Capito ran Ford’s RS division, which was responsible not just for hot road cars like the Focus RS, but also the company’s motorsports efforts in series such as the World Rally Championship.

The rest of the story

Full disclosure: As you can see from the username and the byline, I wrote this. I won't be getting rich (or any money at all) as a result of the traffic, but I thought you folks might find the information of interest. Thanks!

Jost-Capito-and-his-toys.jpg

Ford and its director of Global Performance Vehicles, Jost Capito, are parting ways, the company confirmed to Car and Driver this afternoon. During an 11-year tenure with Ford, Capito oversaw the development of the SVT Raptor and the upcoming Focus ST and Fiesta ST. Working in Europe from 2001 to 2009, Capito ran Ford’s RS division, which was responsible not just for hot road cars like the Focus RS, but also the company’s motorsports efforts in series such as the World Rally Championship.

The rest of the story

Doesn't sound good, especially since he looks pretty young in picture. Hopefully he groomed somone below him. It will be intereting to see where he pops up........German auto company or Chrysler SRT maybe. Or even a company that could really use a guy like him like Honda that has no fun cars anymore.

Doesn't look good with Jost quitting just 3 months prior to the Focus ST launch.

EDIT- Jost Capito takes over at the post by Kris Nissen, Volkswagen Motorsport as a director and is thus responsible for the 2013 WRC entry

source http://www.motorsport-total.com/rallye/news/2012/03/Capito_uebernimmt_Leitung_von_Volkswagen_Motorsport_12032901.html

Edited by MKII

Well he's made moves like this before, after 11 years may just have been time for him to move on.

I wonder if they'd put Jamie Allison in his spot. I imagine the FoE folks would do a spit-take to find their rally program in the hands of a NASCAR/NHRA program veteran.

Doesn't look good with Jost quitting just 3 months prior to the Focus ST launch.

Eh, you have to leave sometime. No matter when you do it, it's going to be "just prior" to some sort of launch, at least if they have some semblence of a continuous development program as they should.

Nice move Ford — he's gone to VW. DOH! I sure hope this means Ford isn't becoming a bean-counter victim. But when you see how long it takes Ford to get anything done, ya gotta wonder. Seriously, Ford is like Mazda: they take way, way too long, compared to VW/Audi and BMW. Maybe we'll see a Focus RS before 2020?

In a surprising development, the Volkswagen Group has grabbed the much-famed Jost Capito from the Ford Motor Company.

The 53-year old will head the German company's Motorsport division effective May 1, 2012, replacing Kris Nissen, who will remain in the company to support Capito during the transition phase and consequently assist the Group in an advisory role, according to VW

Nice move Ford — he's gone to VW. DOH! I sure hope this means Ford isn't becoming a bean-counter victim. But when you see how long it takes Ford to get anything done, ya gotta wonder. Seriously, Ford is like Mazda: they take way, way too long, compared to VW/Audi and BMW. Maybe we'll see a Focus RS before 2020?

In a surprising development, the Volkswagen Group has grabbed the much-famed Jost Capito from the Ford Motor Company.

The 53-year old will head the German company's Motorsport division effective May 1, 2012, replacing Kris Nissen, who will remain in the company to support Capito during the transition phase and consequently assist the Group in an advisory role, according to VW

Capito also headed the Sauber F1 racing team. I'm sure VW offered him the money and position that Ford couldn't or wouldn't match. Also under the VW umbrella are Porsche and Audi, both with iconic racing heritage. Some units of the all new 2013 Boxster are even being built in VW's highly automated factories in Germany. That being said, I'm sure there are some creative, talented, innovative souls at Ford SVT that are chomping on the bit ready to take over Ford Racing Division.

Btw, anyone notice how new Chevy Indy engine dominated Honda at latest IZOD race in Fl? Right out of box Chevy engine was pulling away from Honda on road course. I'm sure there are some teething problems as Honda engine is very reliable, but Chevy engine is definitely more powerful. Lots of talent out there for Ford to hire if no one fits mold in house.

Btw, anyone notice how new Chevy Indy engine dominated Honda at latest IZOD race in Fl? Right out of box Chevy engine was pulling away from Honda on road course. I'm sure there are some teething problems as Honda engine is very reliable, but Chevy engine is definitely more powerful. Lots of talent out there for Ford to hire if no one fits mold in house.

[/quote

The Chevy (Ilmor) and Honda (HPD) powertrains are different. Chevy/Ilmor selected a twin turbo design and Honda a single. Throttle response/driveability are different (by design) and it is early in the development cycle for these new engines, it may be quite different as the year goes on.

Yep, lots of talent out there....