2013 Ford Escape First Drive and Review

svtenthusiast

Does the new Escape still offer the best option ever invented for outdoor recreation lovers - the combination keypad entry feature?

Seems like Ford wants to blend into the crowd with this design (not saying that is bad), and I hope they don't take it as far as eliminating the keypad since no one else offeres it.

Does the new Escape still offer the best option ever invented for outdoor recreation lovers - the combination keypad entry feature?

Seems like Ford wants to blend into the crowd with this design (not saying that is bad), and I hope they don't take it as far as eliminating the keypad since no one else offeres it.

Far as I know, it is still available. It should be integrated into the B-pillar as it is on the Taurus/MKS/Explorer.

Far as I know, it is still available. It should be integrated into the B-pillar as it is on the Taurus/MKS/Explorer.

Yes, it will now have the "hidden" keypad like the other Ford vehicles mentioned above.

When the new Escape was shown, there were whines that it was 'not trucky enough looking'. Even suggesting Ford should keep old one around, since it was selling well and "it has to be from people not wanting the new ones". Now all the sudden, early naysayers are jumping on the bandwagon calling it an 'SUV of the year contender'.

I think Honda CRV has some worrying to do.

Edited by 630land

100_0605.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The highlight of all the Escape's interior technology is the latest version of Ford's Sync system with MyFord Touch. I honestly don't have enough good things to say about it, and to call it "class-leading" is an understatement. As a hard-working automotive journalist, I've connected my phone via Bluetooth to dozens and dozens of vehicles, maybe more. The 2013 Escape boasts the fastest and easiest process I've ever experienced. It's foolproof. Better still, it works. Hit the little button on the right side of the wheel, say, "Phone," then "Call Mom," and within seconds you're getting lectured for not visiting enough.

The display screen is beautiful, with one of the top three best-rendered maps I've ever seen in a car. Also, all them fancy-pants German luxury brands should take notes on how logical it is to operate the audio controls. And Ford went ahead and made common, constant-use stuff like the dual-temperature control knobs separate from the Escape's electronic brain. In the interest of fairness, I must mention that one time the screen stayed blank after startup, but shifting from drive to reverse then back to drive brought the screen to life. To be even fairer, this is a preproduction vehicle and that issue will be/had better be addressed.

Read more: http://www.motortren.../#ixzz1uHZ0qKtS

Yet another MyFordTouch complainer. Oh wait. :P

In my experience, his issue with the blank screen on startup wouldn't even require a shift to reverse--just a few more seconds of waiting. Perfect? Nope. But obviously neither is anyone else if this is still considered class-leading.

Edited by NickF1011