Stay till the end or go---Your vote please

midnightshift

1973 sen. At Saline,flipped a quarter a million times,still can't decide. Very proud to be at FOMOCO

RETIRE I too had 73 sen. Retired in 07, comming up on 5 years now, better than any years working. Nice to get money dropped off in bank on first of month and rest of month to spend it. You have nearly 5 years more than me so check will be even bigger. You would be surprised at how much it costs you to work, gas, coffee, lunch, not to mention savings on insurance and wear on car just to get there.

• Like 1

Not greedy 4 daughters, 4 granddaughters---- they dont print enough money for that. 1969 for retirement 1973 for plant. 42.9 last I checked. Retirement numbers are sad. Check yours and see what they are. A lot of people are surprized. Oh I also have one son, he cost more than the girls. Two still at home. Just living aint cheep. GOD BLESS

Not greedy 4 daughters, 4 granddaughters---- they dont print enough money for that. 1969 for retirement 1973 for plant. 42.9 last I checked. Retirement numbers are sad. Check yours and see what they are. A lot of people are surprized. Oh I also have one son, he cost more than the girls. Two still at home. Just living aint cheep. GOD BLESS

Tell your kids to get a damn job!

Tell your kids to get a damn job!

I have 37.5 years. I receive a paycheck plus I get my government pensions. That is double the take-home pay I would get retired on a pension. When I am at work, my vehicle is sitting idle in the parking lot, not burning any gas. I am sure I would be driving more if I were retired; eating at restaurants, wearing finer clothes instead of cheap work clothes. I can't see where working is a more expensive lifestyle. I have an easy job which keeps me active and makes my life interesting and keeps me young at heart. I am able to keep the "mansion" instead of moving to a crackerbox. My grand-kids don't want to go home, which pleases me no end. If I lived in a crackerbox, they would be saying "I don't want to go to Grandpa's house."

Why is it that the union is always pressuring senior workers into retirement? Why not remain neutral? Someone who has lived sixty plus years knows as much about life as anyone. They don't need to have someone else tell them how to live. If they want to give advice, they should look at both sides. There are "cons" to retirement, but the union will never mention them. Pensions can be frozen. Inflation can erode the buying power of pensions, and pensioners don't have any say in contract bargaining. They are in the same category as future new hires who got the shaft. You can collect the government portion of your pension and keep working. I do not have any moral obligation to hand my career over to someone else. I have put my whole life into this job, just like if I had bought a bakery or body shop. At a certain age, should I be obliged to hand it over to some stranger?

The percentage of working seniors is increasing, and they are getting more and more power as their numbers increase. At some point, the union and company are going to have to accept this and start accomodating these people instead of treating them like trash. I am not leaving until I see that happening.

Edited by Trimdingman

37.5 years ago someone left to make room for you. Those workers fought for 30 and out. Now you guys think you can stay as long as you like, riding around on carts, making coffee while low seniorty guys get laid off or transfered. Guess what, you dont own the company and it will go on after you leave. Some stranger? You mean nothing to the company and they couldnt care less if you came to work tomorrow or not. You are not irreplaceable.

Get your old ass out and give someone with a YOUNG family a chance.

Edited by 182
  • Like 3

Retire and work for the new company. Talk to your freinds that have moved to the assy. plants, they will tell you how it compares to Saline. What ever you decide remember the time you spend with your family is living. Work Is Work
  • Like 1

Retire already, don't come on here and brag about how much time you have in!

Guys with over 30 years in are not liked at assembly plants!

Every person has to make a retirement decision based on their individual circumstances. Some can retire right at 30 years, and I hope to be one of them, however, I am enough of a realist to understand that some things can happen that you simply can not plan for, or avoid. Life changes, and that is the only constant, Divorces, kids in collage, other family matters can and will effect when one retires.

As for guys over 30 years being not liked...I have not seen this in the 25 years I have worked in Assembly plants. I am sorry that you don't have enough Senority to obtain the better jobs, but not all of us can. Someone has to actually do the harder jobs. I work with several guys with more than 30 years, and their individual life has dictated their actions, just as your life dictates your actions.

Don't hate the player...HATE THE GAME! Or just don't say anything and serve out your time to gain senority. You too can one day get off the line...When its your turn.

• Like 2

It's my turn

If it were your turn, you would already be on a senority bid job. Of course, EVERYONE with lower senority wants to believe its their turn, unfortunatly, as soon as you convince yourself that it is, reality bites ya in the ass and proves that it isn't.

Reality is that it becomes your turn, when you win the bid...not before.

If it were your turn, you would already be on a senority bid job. Of course, EVERYONE with lower senority wants to believe its their turn, unfortunatly, as soon as you convince yourself that it is, reality bites ya in the ass and proves that it isn't.

Reality is that it becomes your turn, when you win the bid...not before, and we all have been in the same boat...waiting our turn.

I've seen these old timers so screwed up they had to use a garbage can as a walker, so afraid to retire, never had a life, only had work, then died, funny how they think thier doing thier family a service by working till they drop when in reailty in most cases the family would much more enjoy what years remain with you. 8 more yrs and im gone, that will give me my 30, don't need no more than that.

• Like 1

1973 sen. At Saline,flipped a quarter a million times,still can't decide. Very proud to be at FOMOCO

Dude...if you don't want to quit working...take the TRIP buy-out...$100,000 plus full retirement and medical. You can stay with Faurecia and make pocket money. It's not like you don't know the work eh?