"Tire Mobility Kit" -- no spare tire?

tjl

http://video.about.c...a-Tire-Plug.htm

Here is an option to help with having no spare tire. Basically uses a plug device to fill a puncture. Will not work for blowouts, but at least it's something that might help when one is on that road trip far from civilization.

Looks good, but have not used it myself. Some sites give it excellent reviews. There are different versions - here are some links to them.

I have weenie arms, so probably I need to bring my husband's big biceps with me on long trips.

http://www.dynaplug.com/videos.html

The tire mobility kit does essentially the same as a plug only with some kind of liquid sealant. Which gives you a limited driving range to a repair shop. I wonder what that stuff does to the tire? Can it still be repaired with a quick patch at a repair shop afterwards?

Good question. I've seen versions of the plug that state they are permanent and do not need a standard tire repair afterwards if done correctly. I've also seen reviews by users that say they have run on the plugged repair for years, others that say they still had a slow leak and had it repaired later at a tire shop later.

I'm looking to carry it with me as an option, and hope like heck I never get a flat :) so I don't have to deal with either the mobility kit or the plug!

I bought a 2007 Saturn VUE Hybrid new in '06. It, too, came with a "mobility kit." I have never had to use it, though I have used the compressor for adjusting pressure, etc. Do folks know if the goop inside that seals the tire puncture ever goes bad in the can? Does the Ford Tire Mobility Kit have an expiration date?

Back when I did wheels and tires for a European car shop, if you used the foam, we'd write the tire off as un-fixable and replace it. We'd give mileage credit on the tire and never send one out repaired. BUT, it is better than driving on the wheel! We used the general rule that a repaired tire has halved it's remaining mileage life.

Edited by shaggy314

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be the "trend" and its not going away. More and more Auto manufacturers both Domestic and Foreign are replacing the small emergency spare tire (donut) & jack with a mini toy air compressor and a can of tire sealant gel. The full size spare tires went the way of the mini-spare and now they are disappearing as well. In the Ford C-MAX, storage space might be a legitimate explanation. In most model vehicles, the storage well for the spare tire is still there. Depending on the Country the particular car is marketed in, some still have "full size", "mini spare", or simply a "mobility kit". My 2013 Kia Rio5 Hatchback had the wheel well in the storage space but contained the much cheaper "Mobility Kit". The spin was to (reduce weight) and (increase) fuel economy, right! A trip to a local Salvage Yard and $75 fixed the problem with both a Brand New Emergency Mini-Spare Tire and the Jack Tool Kit too that came out of a wreck! Odd, my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback still had the Spare Tire & Jack? Go figure how long that will continue.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven`t looked under the Rear Hatch Door Bumper/Trunk Floor on the C-MAX to see if there would have been space to allow the storage of a small temporary spare tire (Donut) and Jack Assembly as was the case in the Ford Explorer. Even if there was, Ford probably would`nt consider offering it even as an option because of the additional extra weight since they don`t want anything interfering with that EPA 47 mpg Average. Guess, finding what 17`` Ford Temporary Spare Tire (Donut) with the same Bolt Pattern and Brake Clearance will fit and using a small Scissors Jack and stored in a Travel Bag/Duffle Bag will have to do.

• Like 1

I`ve already investigated the possibility of replacing the OEM Tires at time of Delivery with a set of "Run-Flat" Tires. After much research on both BMW Blogs and Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna,all of which come standard with "Run-Flat Tires, most complain about hard ride, short tread life, expensive replacement, and often once punctured, un-repairable and needs replacing. Anymore negatives needed? Its either, hope for the best that you will never need to use the mini toy air compressor and can of sealant goo or stash a mini donut emergency spare (assuming that one can find one that will fit properly) and a jack assembly kit in a nylon travel duffle bag.