"Tire Mobility Kit" -- no spare tire?

tjl

• 2 months later...

TJL did you ever find out the answer to your question? I was wondering the same thing when I saw "Tire Mobility Kit". Maybe my bad luck but I seem to get a lot of flat tires and I'd really prefer a regular spare tire.

Edited by dtorres

• 3 months later...

I test drove a C-Max yesterday, and I can confirm that there is no spare tire and no place that you could carry a spare. A kit to pump sealant and reflate a flat tire is provided. Problem is, if a steel-belted radial tire gets a cut in it (or worse, a cut in the sidewall ) I don't think that the sealant would do you any good. All the Auto club could do for you would be to flat bed the car and take it to a safe place while you tried to locate a replacement tire.

I was put off ref the C-Max because of this one feature. I recently had a car where I got a cut in the tire tread. Although there was plenty of tread left, the tire could not be repaired, and had to be replaced.

Thank you for the post about why it is so important that consumers (dealers and end users) should become as familiar as possible with what they are purchasing and then insuring that everything they are paying for is delivered. As an end user I got caught up on the short end of the stick when a Toyota I purchased was missing the spare tire. I did not notice the omission until I got the vehicle home and then it became a blame game between me and the dealership. Fortunately the dealerhip eventually made good but it was a painful lesson. When I take delivery of my C max energi I know to look for a charge cord, mobility kit, and a funnel (don't know yet where that can be found in the car). As with anything new there is a learning curve and your post will help me and others to look for the kit during our inspection. I hope either the factory or transport company (hard to figure who should be responsible for the missing item) will make good.

TJL did you ever find out the answer to your question? I was wondering the same thing when I saw "Tire Mobility Kit". Maybe my bad luck but I seem to get a lot of flat tires and I'd really prefer a regular spare tire.

no spare but you get 6 years of road side assistance plus you do get the kit to fix a simple flat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the post about why it is so important that consumers (dealers and end users) should become as familiar as possible with what they are purchasing and then insuring that everything they are paying for is delivered. As an end user I got caught up on the short end of the stick when a Toyota I purchased was missing the spare tire. I did not notice the omission until I got the vehicle home and then it became a blame game between me and the dealership. Fortunately the dealerhip eventually made good but it was a painful lesson. When I take delivery of my C max energi I know to look for a charge cord, mobility kit, and a funnel (don't know yet where that can be found in the car). As with anything new there is a learning curve and your post will help me and others to look for the kit during our inspection. I hope either the factory or transport company (hard to figure who should be responsible for the missing item) will make good.

There are so many details included with any car, and dealership personnel is bound to overlook something. I fully expect they will fail to provide me with a detailed explanation of something I think is "important", but which they didn't know was important to me. For example, we've had a couple of cars that did not come with a spare, so I don't really worry too much about it any more. Thus I wouldn't care at all if they didn't tell me the car has no spare. But I understand if this is important to another buyer. You have envery right to be surprised by this fact, especially if this is the first car you've had that was configured this way.

The C Max tire stuff is under the front passenger side seat. The funnel is in the cargo area in the back, under the removable cover.

Edited by mtberman

• 3 weeks later...

We went ahead and ordered the C Max but being an old schooler it was a bitter pill for me to swallow. We travel throughout the west and we are at times out of cell coverage and many times away from towns.

But then again I have not had a flat tire in 20 years. Dang it, I just probably jinxed that.

Edited by ldm

What is the funnel for? I apologize for my ignorance.

In case you have to add gas from a gas can. The funnel opens the capless fuel filler just like the pump nozzle at the gas station. Without it you wouldn't be able to add gas in an emergency or other fuel additives.

• Like 1

Thank you! I haven't purchased a new car since 2001. Obviously there have been a lot of technology changes during that time. I suspect that when I finally get my Energi, it will take me a while to figure everything out!

The last rental car I had the system where you didn't put the key in the ignition. Fortunately, my passenger was able to clue me in as to how to turn the darn thing on.

My last new car before now was my 2010 Fusion SE and the new one is light years ahead of the 2010. You will learn everything about it.

In case you haven't founds it yet here's the link to the first printing of the owner's manual. click on the Owner Guide" on the left and go from there. Being it's the first printing it is no entirely accurate, but it will give you a good start.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=&gutsid=&kevin=rules

• 5 weeks later...

I've thought about the no-spare situation (understandable because of the space taken by the battery). When our car is delivered I'm thinking about getting a temporary spare with the correct bolt circle and approximate diameter, plus a small jack and lug wrench. We would only load these in the car (strapped down) for longer trips in the west when far away from service facilities.

Does anyone know the bolt circle and what other Ford cars may have a temp. spare that might fit? I'm guessing Focus.

We went ahead and ordered the C Max but being an old schooler it was a bitter pill for me to swallow.

It's funny, because I remember my first car was an old Dodge Aspen that, of course, had a full-sized spare that was even part of the cycle when rotating tires. When I finally unloaded the Aspen in the early-90s I was uncomfortable with the fact that my new car only had a donut. I think I even looked into whether or not I could get a full-sized spare. Now, 20 years later and I've ordered an Energi with no spare whatsoever, and my reaction is a nonchalant "Meh?" I guess the big issue is cell phones. Once I broke down near sunset along the highway in rural North Carolina in the pre-cell phone era and I felt very fortunuate that I was travelling with my bicycle. So I pedaled off to the nearest exit in the failing light and found a motel where I could borrow a phone (and spend the night). Now I wouldn't worry too much (particularly living in the East where you don't have many dead zones).

But then again I have not had a flat tire in 20 years. Dang it, I just probably jinxed that.

API - Washington - Diamond Washington police today found a Kia Sportage on the side of the road, 4 flat tires with nails through the sidewall and a spare with no air. "Damnest thing I've ever seen" reports the highway patrolman...

Although on a serious side, no spare, is there still a jack?

Edited by shaggy314