Affordable Health Care Act

Fatso

It takes 10 years to educate a doctor....an article I recently read said we will be over 100000 doctors short of our needs in the very near future...we will end up with individuals who are not doctors giving us care....Is that a good thing? I don't think so ....To me it looks like we will end up with higher prices and lesser quality....are these the openings you refer to Pulse?

What openings are you talking about? Openings for what?

Health care professionals. I think it's perception longball. Many of our caregivers are RN, NP, LPN, MA, PA...etc right now. They 'should' be able to continue their education and grow in the field, which will leave openings for new people. There are a lot of qualified folk's out there. And heaven forbid, the United States recruits well qualified physicians from other countries...legally. I just don't buy into the gloom & doom. This will be a gradual process and I think it's about time that ALL Americans can receive care when they need it.

I hope you're correct Pulse....time will answer all our/my doubts....my concern is also for the cost of care and the quality....We know that we don't as a country have enough money to go around with all the cash Uncle Sam gives out now...My concern is once you start paying for some of this new program with tax money, how are you going to keep up with the historically escalating costs...keep raising taxes? But then I'm back to this bill not attacking the problem....cost of health care

I hope you're correct Pulse....time will answer all our/my doubts....my concern is also for the cost of care and the quality....We know that we don't as a country have enough money to go around with all the cash Uncle Sam gives out now...My concern is once you start paying for some of this new program with tax money, how are you going to keep up with the historically escalating costs...keep raising taxes? But then I'm back to this bill not attacking the problem....cost of health care

I agree and understand. The root of all this truly is the "cost of healthcare", and that is one of the reasons for this bill. It kinda reminds me off the old saying..."if you can't bet 'em...join 'em"...because the providers and pharmaceuticals have been claiming "the more members...the lower the price" mantra...the ACA is aimed at beating them at their own game. A lot of younger healthier folk's won't even need their insurance till later in life. Not that I like this route...but that equates to more money for the "industry".

Let me say though...I don't feel the health care industry should be "for profit". They shouldn't profit from someones health/illness. Time will tell my man...

You read about countries "nationalizing an industry"....I think maybe Canada nationalized their oil industry about 50% back in the 90's...anyways maybe we should nationalize our health industry and make it a service of the government....the U.S. taxpayers would own all the hospitals and provide the hospital care free of charge....paid for with a new tax....all preventative care would be your own responsibility....but the expensive care....the stuff in the hospitals would be from the taxpayers...no more insurance at all...just a thought

You read about countries "nationalizing an industry"....I think maybe Canada nationalized their oil industry about 50% back in the 90's...anyways maybe we should nationalize our health industry and make it a service of the government....the U.S. taxpayers would own all the hospitals and provide the hospital care free of charge....paid for with a new tax....all preventative care would be your own responsibility....but the expensive care....the stuff in the hospitals would be from the taxpayers...no more insurance at all...just a thought

We could do the same with grocery stores. Taxpayers could own them and everyone could go get food free of charge. All restaurant food would be your own responsibility.

I know it doesn't sound like a good idea....I don't think healthcare should be a for profit venture...but I don't know of a way to provide equitable care for everyone....Your analogy of groceries is good....we all need to eat to stay alive....taxpayers already supplement the farmers...but not the retailers of their product....just some thoughts

they're longer then ever.....

The program definitely needs some tweaking. I'm not so sure, but it seems logical to say..."Hey, you get sick, go to the doctor. We'll send the bill to Medi-care" We are already taxed for that and SSI, so just open the program and divide it into departments; Retiree's, Disability, and Health Care. Pool all the resources.

On a different note Longball...when you want to reply to an individual poster, click on the "quote" box in the lower right corner and then we know where your comment is directed. =)

they're longer then ever.....

The program definitely needs some tweaking. I'm not so sure, but it seems logical to say..."Hey, you get sick, go to the doctor. We'll send the bill to Medi-care" We are already taxed for that and SSI, so just open the program and divide it into departments; Retiree's, Disability, and Health Care. Pool all the resources.

On a different note Longball...when you want to reply to an individual poster, click on the "quote" box in the lower right corner and then we know where your comment is directed. =)

Sorry if I confused you with that comment....just playin with The General

On a different note Longball...when you want to reply to an individual poster, click on the "quote" box in the lower right corner and then we know where your comment is directed. =

I wish it would be that easy but with only 15% of our population on medicare as of 2010....How much more are we going to have to pay to make this doable? I believe the program is in deep doo doo now....and expanding it is likely to make the economics involved to get much worse.....hey if someone doesn't realize that we don't have the money to pay for what we already have promised....then I can't support their expansion of the program

Here is a link to the medicare percentages by population:http://www.stateheal...=74&sortc=1&o=a

Here is a link to funding facts for medicare http://www.kff.org/medicare/upload/7305_03.pdf

Edited by longball

It takes 10 years to educate a doctor....an article I recently read said we will be over 100000 doctors short of our needs in the very near future...we will end up with individuals who are not doctors giving us care....Is that a good thing? I don't think so ....To me it looks like we will end up with higher prices and lesser quality....are these the openings you refer to Pulse?

Here is a link to that article - Link

There is also a recent paper that discussed increased doctor visits and hospital stays - it was an NBER article -

By exploiting a unique health insurance benefit design, we provide novel evidence on the causal association between outpatient and inpatient care. Our results indicate that greater outpatient spending was associated with more hospital admissions: a $100 increase in outpatient spending was associated with a 2.7% increase in the probability of having an inpatient event and a 4.6% increase in inpatient spending among enrollees in our sample. Moreover, we present evidence that the increase in hospital admissions associated with greater outpatient spending was for conditions in which it is plausible to argue that the physician and patient could exercise discretion.

Here is a link to that article - Link

There is also a recent paper that discussed increased doctor visits and hospital stays - it was an NBER article -

By exploiting a unique health insurance benefit design, we provide novel evidence on the causal association between outpatient and inpatient care. Our results indicate that greater outpatient spending was associated with more hospital admissions: a $100 increase in outpatient spending was associated with a 2.7% increase in the probability of having an inpatient event and a 4.6% increase in inpatient spending among enrollees in our sample. Moreover, we present evidence that the increase in hospital admissions associated with greater outpatient spending was for conditions in which it is plausible to argue that the physician and patient could exercise discretion.

It looks like we are heading for disappointment from these two articles....time will tell