Does the Panoramic Sunroof open?

MadManMoon

I can't tell from any product info or from any pictures if the panoramic sunroof on the C-MAX Hybrid/Energi actually opens. Anyone have an idea?

Of course it does. It's called a sunroof. If it was fixed it would just be a "glass roof".

The roof is full glass. The curtain inside powers open and closed but the glass does not.

That appears to be correct. I'm not sure if they changed the wording on the build and price site or if I just interpreted it correctly but it now appears it's a fixed roof. Sorry!

It's a little disappointing that the roof doesn't open completely, but given the number of times I've opened my vista roof it probably isn't a deal breaker. It looks like shade is translucent instead of fully blackout, can you confirm?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's called a sunroof. If it was fixed it would just be a "glass roof".

A "sunroof" can be fixed.

Sunroof Definitions

After all, glass lets in sun. If it were called an "air roof" then maybe it would have to open. ;)

We decided we liked the panoramic sunroof even though it doesn't open. We have had opening sunroofs in three different vehicles and we found that we almost never actually open them. The most common form of opening was to leave the vent open when parked - but we didn't even do that a whole lot. So that was not a deal breaker. But the C-Max big clear panoramic sunroof was really nice for back seat passengers especially. We have a lot of wonderful tall scenery here in the Northwest and in various cities - so being able to allow my daughter a really nice view while looking up seemed pretty nice.

I will probably get a light tinting added - I know it already has some from the factory, but I really want to cut the UV+heat that it lets in... I don't want it dark otherwise it defeats the purpose - but at least a little bit will make a huge difference. (We get our side windows tinted too - It helps so much with heat and glare).

A "sunroof" can be fixed.

Sunroof Definitions

After all, glass lets in sun. If it were called an "air roof" then maybe it would have to open. ;)

We decided we liked the panoramic sunroof even though it doesn't open. We have had opening sunroofs in three different vehicles and we found that we almost never actually open them. The most common form of opening was to leave the vent open when parked - but we didn't even do that a whole lot. So that was not a deal breaker. But the C-Max big clear panoramic sunroof was really nice for back seat passengers especially. We have a lot of wonderful tall scenery here in the Northwest and in various cities - so being able to allow my daughter a really nice view while looking up seemed pretty nice.

I will probably get a light tinting added - I know it already has some from the factory, but I really want to cut the UV+heat that it lets in... I don't want it dark otherwise it defeats the purpose - but at least a little bit will make a huge difference. (We get our side windows tinted too - It helps so much with heat and glare).

I was referring to Ford's terminology on other vehicles like the mustang. They don't call the mustang glass roof a "sunroof" or "moonroof".

I was referring to Ford's terminology on other vehicles like the mustang. They don't call the mustang glass roof a "sunroof" or "moonroof".

Hmm, you're right. Ford's inconsistent use of terminology.

Strange. In any event, we ordered our C-Max with the "panoramic glass roof sunroof". ;)

I've been wondering on the heat transfer on this panoramic roof. I live in Southern California, so obviously this is a huge concern for me.

I know there's a coating on the glass to cut down on the UV entering the vehicle, but how bad is it really? Also, is the shade complete black out, or is it somewhat translucent? I'd imagine the quality of the shade is also going to affect the heat entering the vehicle.

I've been wondering on the heat transfer on this panoramic roof. I live in Southern California, so obviously this is a huge concern for me.

I know there's a coating on the glass to cut down on the UV entering the vehicle, but how bad is it really? Also, is the shade complete black out, or is it somewhat translucent? I'd imagine the quality of the shade is also going to affect the heat entering the vehicle.

The shade is totally opaque. I have the Vista roof (operational) on my 08 Edge and I've never had a problem with heat from the sun even in 98 degree GA heat. The only time we close the shade is when a backseat passenger complains about the sunlight in their eyes.

The shade is totally opaque. I have the Vista roof (operational) on my 08 Edge and I've never had a problem with heat from the sun even in 98 degree GA heat. The only time we close the shade is when a backseat passenger complains about the sunlight in their eyes.

Thanks. Did you end up having to tint the roof at all?

1. 98 degrees is a cold spell in GA.

2. When it hits 78 degrees I start complaining about heat.

;)

I will be adding some extra UV tint to ours, very light since there is some there already - but just a little bit more to cut as much UV as possible while still being able to see nicely out the window..

got my C-Max without sun roof, not worth $1200

Same here. Nice, but not for $1,200. I also didn't bother with the self parking feature. I can do that fine...

Other than that, I ordered everything!

I almost religiously buy cars that are two years old. This is the first time I've made an exception in a long time, I was so impressed by the Energi.

• 2 months later...