2005 ford escape rust problems

wino's 88

I own a 2005 ford escape with about 127 000 km's(70 000 miles) and was hearing people talk about a rust problem on the right rear wheelwell/shock mount, I decided to check mine and found it was rusted out. The rust/holes could only be seen by removing the rubberized coating in the wheelwell or by removing plastic panels in the interior. This vehicle was rust proofed and there is very little rust anywhere else on the body. If anyone has a 2005 ford escape i advise you to have this inspected. I have contacted Ford on this to see if they will cover repairs and am waiting for a response

100_7553.jpg

100_7551.jpg

this is the left side

100_7552.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When we bought a used 2010 Escape for my mother-in-law (35,000 miles on the clock), it had a small amount of surface rust on the bottom edge of the tailgate. We routinely saw surface rust on door bottoms of 2 and 3 year old vehicles. Note that Ford has gone back to using sealer on these seams on the 2013 Escape.

The OP's rust issue looks like water infiltration that sat in the depression in the "trunk" behind the rear wheel openings and caused rust through from the inside (been there with previous cars). This is an issue that should be checked for on a new car after rain or washing to see if there is water collecting in this area that can't get out.

Really? My 2006 Subaru Legacy has no visible rust (other than where you would expect it on the undercarriage), and our ten year old Outback with 166,000 miles (all spent in the rust belt state of Minnesota) has a small amount of surface rust creeping out from under the rear bumper cover. Nothing on the door or tailgate seams. No aftermarket rustproofing. Virtually everything I have read in the past decade recommends against aftermarket rustproofing as it can cause more issues if not applied correctly. I believe at one time some auto manufacturers would void their rust perforation warranty if the car had aftermarket rust proofing or undercoating applied to it.

• 1 year later...