Squeaky Brakes

Escapism

I have either a very low squeak or grawl when backing up slowly. Nothing in forward so I'm not going to mess with it.

Stop driving backwards. 8-)

But hey, on a more serious note, don't know where in your state your from, but my thoughts and prayers have been directed your way lately.

Edited by Escapism

There's a chronic complainer on one of the Escape Facebook pages that states he's having a problem with squeaking brakes, among many other complaints he's posted. He wrote that Ford is aware of a problem with the design of the position of the calipers on 2.0L Escapes. I don't know if he's making this up because he's pissed or what. I haven't heard or read anything on a design issue and my brakes have never made any noise except some slight grinding when wet after washing or parked in damp weather, which is to be expected.

Edited by transitman

Hmmm, thanks for the info. I'm very happy with Ford for standing behind their product and offering me the Premium ESP, at no cost. If there is a problem, then I'm covered. If there is no problem, then Ford doesn't lose a penny. That's fair.

Edited by Escapism

I've experienced the squeeling twice now and both times I was in a hurry, breaking hard, just like akray99 says. Those breaks will squeel when very hot ... Other than that, nothing... But it shouldn't happen with a 40k car.....

ce sont des pauses? voulez-vous dire freins?

Edited by Escapism

I have had the brake squeal since about 5K and now have 11K and was hoping it would go away after use and hard applications but it has not. I am now getting frustrated especially since it now sounds like a cronic problem with these. I can confirm that Ford says there is squeal from the front brakes after they get hot, and they are working on a redesigned part. Does not address the rear brakes.

Mine does when cold on light application and it comes mostly from the back rotors but sometimes from the front.

I have had the brake squeal since about 5K and now have 11K and was hoping it would go away after use and hard applications but it has not. I am now getting frustrated especially since it now sounds like a cronic problem with these. I can confirm that Ford says there is squeal from the front brakes after they get hot, and they are working on a redesigned part. Does not address the rear brakes.

Mine does when cold on light application and it comes mostly from the back rotors but sometimes from the front.

How is this confirmed, if I may ask?

My dealer said this is a known issue and gave me a copy of the Oasis Message.

SSM 12062 - 2013 Escape - Front Brake Squeal After the Brakes Warm Up

Some 20132 Escape vehicles equipped with 2.0L GTDI 2WD/AWD and 1.6L AWD my experience front brake noise. Typically the brake noise is a high pitch squeal that occurs at low to moderate brake pedal apply after the brakes have warmed up. Servicing the front brake pads and rotors will not resolve this issue. Engineering is releasing a new caliper anchor for this concern that will not be available until January, 2013. If a customer comes in for this issue, advise them that the front brake noise does not affect brake function and that the fix will be coming out shortly. Monitor Oasis for updates.

So it looks like it'll be a squeeky Christmas. The only option will be to brake hard or not brake at all!! I think I'll go with the Canadian Option and not brake at all for stop signs!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started noticing a faint "grinding" noise from the rear brakes when cold. More noticeable when I first back out of the garage in the morning. I know the pads can't be toast after 14k miles. Both my wife and I drive this thing very gently. I'm going to pull a wheel of tomorrow and see what is going on.

I just started noticing a faint "grinding" noise from the rear brakes when cold. More noticeable when I first back out of the garage in the morning. I know the pads can't be toast after 14k miles. Both my wife and I drive this thing very gently. I'm going to pull a wheel of tomorrow and see what is going on.

Pull the wheel before you drive the car. A light coating of oxidation may form over night. This is common if you live in a damp area, after it rains or after you wash the car.

Because the brakes are used far less driving in reverse, the pads can become glazed from forward braking and make some noise when used in reverse. Both these issues are common and are not any indication of problems, don't panic.

• Like 1

I drive the vehicle every day, 80 miles a day. It sits in a dry garage overnight. I have had the brake squeal since 5K miles and I have never had these type of issues on other vehicles.

In other words, either the pads they are using on these are crap or there is a design flaw with the brakes.

The dealer tried to fix the problem by replacing the rear pads, and then doing the TSB on the front calipers. Still does the same thing.

Replace the Front Disc Brake Caliper Anchor Plates with new service parts

Thanks! Now that you folks mention it, my brakes make a grinding sound as well. Granted, it's been very wet around here lately. But even when I come home at night around 7 or 8, by the next morning (6am) they are grinding. I fully understand what makes this happen, but I have never experienced this on any other vehicle so soon. My Toyota has to sit a week before the rust on the brakes makes any noise. Something is up with these brakes.

• 1 month later...

The problem this thread originally addressed was a brake squeal noise and not a grinding noise. I will confirm this squealing noise is real. I noticed my first squeal pretty early around 1,000 miles. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. At first it occurred rarely and seemingly at random but after another few thousand miles of close observation I arrived at the combination of driving circumstances that cause the brake squeal. First, it bears mentioning that driving technique, driving location (city, rural, highway) and length of trip operating time are especially pertinent to the squeal manifesting itself although not necessarily in the listed order. So to be a little more specific about what I've determined causes my problem; It is caused after the brakes have heated up some predictable amount which by my observation doesn't occur during my usual amount of driving time and driving location. The brakes will predictably exhibit the squeal after extended city (stop and go) driving conditions and light to light-moderate braking technique. It is embarrassing to stop at a city traffic light and most everyone in hearing distance is looking around to se who is making the noise. It bears mentioning the squeal sounds exactly like a severely worn built-in brake pad sensor except that this noise is not quite as loud, can be modulated and the brake disk shows no sign that a worn pad has made metal-to-metal contact.

I plan to take my 2013 Escape Titanium 2.0 Liter to the dealer at the soonest possible opportunity.

I would like to thank svtenthusiast for his postings and also to remind all other readers that vehicles are driven in a wide variety of situations and by drivers who employ a wide variety of legitimate driving techniques none of which is any more or less correct than the reader's.

I will post the results of my service visit soon and hopefully I will be able to corroborate svtenthuiast' service visit and maybe even add to this group's understanding of this problem.