Fusion Titanium (Gas & Hybrid), MyFord Touch and SYNC AppLink

neod192

So I was reading about the awesome features SYNC AppLink has and how you can control quite a few mobile apps through the SYNC system (Pandora, iHeart Radio, Tune-in Raio, NPR, etc).

Then I looked compatibility page and realized that Fusions equipped with MyFord Touch do not have SYNC AppLink. This includes all Titanium models or any SE models that have the upgraded MyFord Touch system. Here's the link to Ford's website showing how it's NOT compatible:
http://www.ford.com/.../sync/packages/

Can someone with MyFord Touch confirm that this is accurate? It would be a very disappointing "upgrade" if this is true.

Update: It's been confirmed that AppLink is not available with MyFord Touch. Let's tell Ford that we want AppLink in MFT! Rate the idea on the social.ford.com site below:

http://social.ford.c...h-myford-touch/

Edited by neod192

There's only a few reasons a perfectly good feature like app link would be withheld. Either it's buggy and causes performance/stability issues, or it's an ill conceived financial deal to try to force one to use only the manufacturer's feature set.

I'm a software developer professionally and I've been forced to use windows tools for most of my career when a Mac would have been preferable. I hate not being given the choice.

As long as the audio goes through, I can still use an app like pandora from my iPhone. I might have to control it from the phone though.

I wish ford offered a choice of other systems such as MyLink or even better, Apple's Siri integration and or airplay. Choice is good.

• 1 month later...

I'll let someone with Siri and a Fusion to answer this question, but I can tell you that you can't use a bluetooth device to communicate with Google Now. Pushing the bluetooth button only activates the Voice Dialer and don't think there's a way to change it to Google Now. Interestingly, even when activating Google Now directly on the phone, it'll still only use the phone's microphone and not the bluetooth mic ...

• 1 month later...

Fusion Ti will be here in about 4 weeks - very disappointing about the Applink and even worse that the bluetooth doesn't communicate with the phone or play directions, etc from the mapping programs through the car speakers. Here is the really bad part about it - different manufacturers always want to cash it and make their product different. All they really need to do is build in a VNC client like some of the aftermarket radio manufactures are doing - then it will just mimick any thing your phone does. They could make the steering wheel directional buttons control the VNC and the screen and you could completely control your phone and all apps without ever taking your hands off the sterring wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium, I was confused on this feature as well and thought it would work, found out the hard way. I should have researched it more, as confusing as Sync is on a whole you would think they would just have one size fits all, but I did not buy the car for that feature or MFT alone.

I would like to use Pandora and TeleNav Scout with MFT and I am hoping someday soon they upgrade the software to allow it, but I am not holding my breath. Best I can do now with Pandora is Bluetooth Audio which works fine and the MFT and steering wheel buttons control it but artist name is listed as unknown.

I don't think I would have settled for the SE with MyFord to just have this feature.

I agree, I wouldn't give up MFT to get AppLink, but I want AppLink on MFT ! :) Did you rate the idea I linked in the first thread?

Not yet, I don't have an account with that site. I think from what I read, MFT was outsourced, the software it is and Ford dumped the original company that was doing it and is making it better, whether or not they add AppLink is a big question, it seems obvious when you buy the top of the line model that it should have it. I do not use Nav that much, but Pandora would be nice.

I'm one of the people who refused to pay $795 for the navigation feature with MFT. I found out that (at least with my iPhone 4S) it will project directions using some map apps (mapps?). GoogleMaps worked via the car stereo but Waze did not. Just FYI. Didn't test it with AppleMaps because that one is a piece of $#17.

$795 for a SD Card is expensive, the features are nice compared to my smartphone with TeleNav but I rarely use navigation and it works fine, would be a plus to have it on the MFT with Scout, I just want Pandora like it works on AppLink. I do not think we will see an App explosion since the distraction situation at hand is obvious.

I just inquired from Rebecca on the Ford Facebook page this week -

My question:

Hi Rebecca - I have a 2013 Fusion on order and I'm curious what the plan is for integration of the Applink with MFT? I'm just really lost as to how this product can even be on the market and you push it if it doesn't integrate with your top of the line system. Thanks for your help.

Her response:

Congrats on your soon-to-be new Fusion! Right now we're working on releasing AppLink to our Gen1 SYNC systems (that don't already have it). Currently, there are other enhancements we are focusing on for MyFord Touch. Once those are fulfilled, we'll look in to adding AppLink. :)

She even included the smiley - makes you feel better doesn't it. I give her credit for shooting me a straight answer - but it really wasn't the answer as to when either. So everyone can interpret as you want, but I interpret it as they are just trying to work out the bugs and make it work as advertised before they can even think about adding advance features.

I just inquired from Rebecca on the Ford Facebook page this week -

My question:

Hi Rebecca - I have a 2013 Fusion on order and I'm curious what the plan is for integration of the Applink with MFT? I'm just really lost as to how this product can even be on the market and you push it if it doesn't integrate with your top of the line system. Thanks for your help.

Her response:

Congrats on your soon-to-be new Fusion! Right now we're working on releasing AppLink to our Gen1 SYNC systems (that don't already have it). Currently, there are other enhancements we are focusing on for MyFord Touch. Once those are fulfilled, we'll look in to adding AppLink. :)

She even included the smiley - makes you feel better doesn't it. I give her credit for shooting me a straight answer - but it really wasn't the answer as to when either. So everyone can interpret as you want, but I interpret it as they are just trying to work out the bugs and make it work as advertised before they can even think about adding advance features.

Let me translate - "Congrats on your soon-to-be new Fusion! Right now we are inundated with complaints about basic operational software and inconsistent performance with that we either are A) overwhelmed with or B) don't care about because you already put money towards the vehicle. Why would we add more fuel to the fire by adding features?! :) (to make you feel at ease)"

I may be exaggerating but you get the picture...

We would probably already have it if they did not outsource MFT to a company called B-Squared who was the original source of the development. After all the issues, Ford brought it back in house and are probably behind getting the wants vs the needs, like good stability, UI and etc.

Mine rebooted on start up the other day, then my back-up camera changed settings in the process.

My cell, my tablet, my TV, my DVD player, all have app based interfaces. Why not MFT? We wouldn't need app link if MFT came with pandora and spotify, etc, installed.

Also, I'm one of the ones who likes apple maps and will use it over the cluttered interface they call navigation in MFT. I wish I hadn't bought navigation.

Not yet, I don't have an account with that site. I think from what I read, MFT was outsourced, the software it is and Ford dumped the original company that was doing it and is making it better, whether or not they add AppLink is a big question, it seems obvious when you buy the top of the line model that it should have it. I do not use Nav that much, but Pandora would be nice.

I'm confused, the Microsoft Sync logo isn't a clue... or is that for a different feature set? I thought they were the integration.

Edited by shaggy314

While I would love to be able to control Tune-In radio through the sync system....I am kind of surprised of the amount of people upset about this. Running those apps through your car constantly would be a huge data hog. Unless you all have unlimited data plans and I'm just used to the archaic embarassing plans that are offered in Canada.