1.6L EB engine recall

Salva

Ford recalled 90,000 vehicles. That's a lot.

Sure, it's not as many as 7.43 million Toyotas, but hey who is counting, right?

I think 90,000 is still smaller than another 2.44 million Toyotas - which is around 9.5 million Toyota's recalled in the past three months!.

Could 90,000 be lower than 1.7 million? But Honda wouldn't make poor quality cars, right?

Should we forget the 12 to 14 million recalled Toyotas during the various 2009-2011 unintended acceleration recalls (which actually killed over 80 people?).

Maybe we should mention Chrysler's recent 900,000 cars recalled.

How about Toyota recalling 150,000 trucks this year? Is that on the radar?

Lets see, there are a whole host of recalls for other vehicles too. VW just recalled a bunch of 2012/2013 New Beetles. Jaguar and Mercedes both just made recalls.

Here is a whole host of GM recalls: including 3500 Verano, Cruze, and Sonic models; 4000 Chevy Malibu models, another 4700 Sonic models and just before that a whole 44,000 sonic models, 500,000 Cruzes in June and 14,000 Cadillac XTSs.

But yeah, everyone just focus on Ford.

Man, I am not even a real Ford guy. This will be my first Ford in over 20 years. But please, can we be realistic here?

Cars have hundreds of thousands of parts made by thousands of suppliers and companies build tens of thousands of vehicles PER DAY. A recall is a GOOD THING because they have identified a problem and are fixing it.

I find it funny that people will expect auto manufacturers to have zero issues when they produce complex machines thousands of times every day - yet the same people probably make mistakes and have problems at their own jobs. Look I work hard, but some times I have to correct mistakes and sometimes I don't do as good a job as I had hoped or would like. I can only image the same holds true for the million people in the world building cars.

As long as they handle them well, as long as they fix the problems and treat customers well - I have no problem with a few recalls here and there.

• Like 4

Well said. I took my fusion 1.6 in today that I just bought last Tuesday. Yes I was bummed that I only was able to drive the car one week (which I absolutely love for the record), I understand that recalls and issues are something that comes with a total redesigned car and a relatively new motor.

• Like 1

Valkraider, you hit the nail on the head. Recalls are a fact of life; especially on a brand new model car, crib, toaster, etc. Go into any retail store and see the huge recall board and read why it's being recalled...mostly has to do with killing, maiming, or hurting a human being. So, getting to the root of this problem Ford isn't sitting on its hands. I'm grateful for the automotive companies to try and get these issues resolved before someone gets hurt. Imagine how Chyrsler felt a couple of years ago when a brand new 2011 Dodge Durango went up in flames during a parade! I don't think one engineer would feel glee at such an issue. An engineer from another manufacturer might gasp and say, "Oh my, that could have been us!" Until Jesus comes and things get perfected, expect bumps and imperfections along the way. Those of you that have purchased these motors with the recall, give Ford quality feedback...don't fret, they know you are upset or worried or both. Help them get the right information to resolve this once and for all, thus, they can give better feedback to you and to the suppliers. God speed my Ford friends. This too shall pass.

The car I traded in for Our Fusion was a Toyota. It was a great car. Not an awesome car, but a great car. That thing with the unintended excelleration valkraider was all customer error, I believe. There may have been an issue with the floor mats, but I believe that would still be customer error. If you can't put your floor mat back where it's supposed to go, and your car is still accelerating, and you can't figure out what to do next, you deserve to die. It's Darwins law. If I had the 1.6, I would be happy to turn it in and use the rental for as long as they want. Free car, drive it however you want, all the while don't rack up miles on your prized possession. I've had some fun in rental cars, anyone else?

I personally don't for a moment think that the floor mats had anything to do with that Prius acceleration problem. Mine is supposed to go in to be "fixed" but I cannot begin to imagine a way the mat gets anywhere close enough to my gas pedal to create that problem. However, I do note that occasionally, while cruise control is on, the car will seem to accelerate a bit aggressively. I don't know why someone wouldn't be able to handle that situation, but people have been known to panic over some strange things. Like you, I don't think the acceleration issue was a "real" issue at all, but it sure got a lot of press.

My service rep said he is advising everyone that it could take 2 weeks to have a fix for the recall. This is the service department's best guess as Ford still hasnt given any updates to dealerships. They installed the MFT update, fixed the trunk and hood in the body shop, but they are waiting on the headlight part. He did mention (again) that they are flooded by the recall. Which to me tells me this can be a long wait.

I told them by next week IF they werent advised on how to fix the engine, that I'm upgrading my rental Galant for a better equipped rental or loaner. The 2012 Galant is a pure piece of crap and a slap in the face to what I was driving before.

That thing with the unintended excelleration valkraider was all customer error, I believe. There may have been an issue with the floor mats, but I believe that would still be customer error.

Even when used completely as designed the floor mats could cause the accelerator to stick. And it wasn't just the floor mats, although that was the largest (actually it has been re-opened as of July 2012 and more vehicles added).

http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-lexus-rx-floor-mat-recall/

Also, about 2.5 million had failing accelerators - nothing to do with the floor mat.

Just got an email from my dealer saying that service was complete. I had just dropped it off yesterday so whatever it was it must have been a fast fix.

Get more info if you can, its hard to believe that they could fix the recall that fast. Heck even let them show you what they did.

• Like 1

I certainly hope that they do not have the issue, but if they don't, that means that ford should know what the fix is and how to implement it. Hmm.

There is a big difference between changing something on engines as they are being built and doing a field repair on an engine already installed in the vehicle.

There is a big difference between changing something on engines as they are being built and doing a field repair on an engine already installed in the vehicle.

Good point, but if they know the fix but don't know the procedure, that's a different statement than the statement that has been made by ford. I thought they were unsure of how to fix it in general (fix itself and procedure combined), not just the procedure. This could be great news though!

Good point, but if they know the fix but don't know the procedure, that's a different statement than the statement that has been made by ford. I thought they were unsure of how to fix it in general (fix itself and procedure combined), not just the procedure. This could be great news though!

What statement has Ford made about it - exactly? Some of what has been reported came second or third hand.

How does she drive with Manual? I have a thread regarding peoples' impressions on this type of Fusion.

Sorry, but I do not have the car yet, I am not sure when it will arrive. It was built on 12/4. Message me with the link to your thread, once I get the car I will reply to that thread.

You got it right. Dealer email was an error. Something to do with Ford wanted to track the cars and how they had to close out the ticket and it automatically sent me an email saying my service was complete and the car was ready. Either way I was not happy at first because I drove an hour out of my way. But I think the worst news was when the lady at the dealer was like I wouldn't be surprised if these weren't fixed until the end of January. Now I think she was just saying that and hadn't heard anything from Ford.

I just received this email message from my dealer:

Good news, your car is built. Bad news, they will hold it at the plant until this recall is taken care of. I will let you know asap when I get an update.

My 11/30 built car is still not showing the recall on ETIS.

Oh no, mine was built after the recall was released to the press. I hope there is a cut-off. I have contacted CS yesterday, I will post their response here, if they respond today. What a bleak Thursday.