My MPG Tracking Blog

nmadole

Your short trip to work is a really bad application for the hybrid. The Energi would be much better for your application. My 17 mile work drive each way gave me 41 mpg after 23 months. My retirement has knocked my frequent trips down to within 6 miles and I'm getting around 38.

TerryBlauser

Good point about the Energi, but for some odd reason Ford decided to price it $10k higher than the hybrid. It would take 10+ years to recover that investment.

It's not odd at all. They're called batteries and they're not cheap.

It's odd when you look at the "Energi premium" on the C-Max and compare it to the Fusion. The C-Max Energi is priced much more reasonable and after federal tax credits you only have to pay about $2k extra. You're not paying more on the Fusion because the battery costs more, you pay more because of market pricing - other similar cars (Volt) sell for $40k+ so Ford priced the Fusion like that.

It's odd when you look at the "Energi premium" on the C-Max and compare it to the Fusion. The C-Max Energi is priced much more reasonable and after federal tax credits you only have to pay about $2k extra. You're not paying more on the Fusion because the battery costs more, you pay more because of market pricing - other similar cars (Volt) sell for $40k+ so Ford priced the Fusion like that.

Are they equipped the same or is the Fusion Energi a higher trim level? Market pricing is pretty normal though.

Are they equipped the same or is the Fusion Energi a higher trim level?

As far as I know, the difference between the SE Luxury and Energi SE Luxury trims (or Titanium and Energi Titanium) is that it has a bigger battery that can be charged by plugging it in (on both the C-Max and the Fusion). I asked Ford this question many times and that's the only answer I got.

Here is the info on the energi, all you ever wanted to know about the ordering......

Order guide is attached!

and yes there is a difference between the energi titanium and the other titaniums-- the wheels are 17" no options, no dual exhaust outlets and maybe more.

Attached Files

Edited by chuckokie36

nmadole: Your trip summaries make me really question the accuracy of the readings we are getting. All the numbers for your warmed-up trip should result in a higher MPG, unless you were flooring it when you were on the ICE. With 67% of the trip being on EV, you should be in the 40s.

nmadole: Your trip summaries make me really question the accuracy of the readings we are getting. All the numbers for your warmed-up trip should result in a higher MPG, unless you were flooring it when you were on the ICE. With 67% of the trip being on EV, you should be in the 40s.

TRUST ME, I do not like spending more money on gas. I am 26 year old young professional with alot of stundent loan debt.. they only reason I justifed this purchase of this car is the 47 MPG rating.

I am trying very hard to drive with all due caution and finess. I really wish I was in the 40's, I just dont understand.

I started this blog in part so people couldn't say I was making it up....

Also I calculate all of my MPG by hand at each filling cycle... My dash Average is 31.3 MPG my hand calculated average is 29.6 MPG :(

Nmadole, I can feel your disappointment through the Net! I'm amazed so many times how seemingly identical mass produces vehicles can vary so much. I'm not doubting your driving style, but in the case between me and my wife, and I hope I don't come off uncouth, but when she drives our cars, I can see a 6 mpg difference. She's learned a bit more now and it's probably closer to 4 mpg discrepancy now-a-days. However, from most of the other hybrid owners (including one who visits my work to shop) they are getting quite a bit higher mpg. Now, he has 17" wheels, which does lower unsprung weight a bit, but not that much. Hey, I'm pulling for all of you! I noticed that when I had my cat and exhaust replaced, I lost 3 mpgs and I can't figure it out. Some think that I changed the back pressure to the motor and it's breathing too well. All I did was have a half inch larger pipe put on. Ironically though, I don't have such a huge mpg difference between Summer and Winter here since the new pipe was put on. It used to be at least 4 mpg difference, now it's a draw. Oh, my car hates E10. I lose 5-6 mpg if I use it. After a second full take of non E10, she runs great and I get my mpg's back. Gosh, this is a long entry...I hope you will see improvements as time goes by and as Ford finds updates to the software that might lean out the system and make it more efficient. Computers don't laugh, they don't cry, they just run programs...and a program is only as good as the programmer...never better.

Edited by Zoomzoom5

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that the difference is probably due to Ford pricing the 2 Energis to the market, but I think it may go the other way. I suspect that the Fusion Energi is profitable, but that they are losing money on the C-Max Energi, in an attempt to knock Prius off its throne.

Edited by rprobst

• 2 weeks later...

Nmadole, I can feel your disappointment through the Net! I'm amazed so many times how seemingly identical mass produces vehicles can vary so much. I'm not doubting your driving style, but in the case between me and my wife, and I hope I don't come off uncouth, but when she drives our cars, I can see a 6 mpg difference. She's learned a bit more now and it's probably closer to 4 mpg discrepancy now-a-days.

I can corroborate as relates to my experience with the Camry Hybrid. When I drive it I get anywhere from 38-41 MPG and my wife gets 33-36. Driving style has much to do with it.

The dealerships tests resulted in a best case scenario MPG of 37 ... Ford regional customer service manager told me that 37 mpg is "good" for the 13 fusion on winter blend gas. She said they expect a 6-8 mpg loss on winter fuel. So basically ford admitted to me the car will get mid 30's for around half the year (at least) ... I feel that this simply unacceptable... It's not my driving ... IT IS THE CAR ...

The dealerships tests resulted in a best case scenario MPG of 37 ... Ford regional customer service manager told me that 37 mpg is "good" for the 13 fusion on winter blend gas. She said they expect a 6-8 mpg loss on winter fuel. So basically ford admitted to me the car will get mid 30's for around half the year (at least) ... I feel that this simply unacceptable... It's not my driving ... IT IS THE CAR ...

Ford does not control gasoline formulations. The don't control the fuel that the EPA uses and they don't control the use of winter blend fuel and/or E-10 both of which lower mileage.

They are also required by law to show the EPA mileage on the window sticker as determined by the aforementioned EPA test procedures.

Part of the drop in winter is due to colder temps requiring more ICE operation.

This is not unique to Ford. That's just how hybrids and the EPA testing work.

Ford does not control gasoline formulations. The don't control the fuel that the EPA uses and they don't control the use of winter blend fuel and/or E-10 both of which lower mileage.

They are also required by law to show the EPA mileage on the window sticker as determined by the aforementioned EPA test procedures.

Part of the drop in winter is due to colder temps requiring more ICE operation.

This is not unique to Ford. That's just how hybrids and the EPA testing work.

So you think 6-8 mpg loss is acceptable just because of winter blend fuel? As the ford rep said

Winter blend fuel AND colder temps in a hybrid - yes. It's simple physics. And it doesn't affect only Ford - it affects all hybrids.

I did not say anything about cold weather for a reason... The ford rep said the fuel ALONE will cause an expected 6-8 MPG loss which I think is crazy plus more for the cold temp. She said even in warmer temps the fuel blend will reduced your mpg by 6-8 mpg ... This coming from the regional customer service manager of Michigan