WE HAVE OUR FIX

mikeo56

I noticed they also upgraded my car to MFT 3.5.1. I didn't get an invoice listing all the services performed. I surely hope they didn't just simply update MFT. I'm going back on Saturday to get my tank full of gas and will request a detailed invoice of all the work performed. The owner.ford.com site doesn't show that the vehicle has been serviced. Not sure how that gets updated or how often.

A couple of curious things I also noticed... my turn signal chime is different now. It used to be much louder and, I *think*, a different, higher pitced tone. It is much more subdued now. Also, on the Trip 1 and Trip 2 screens on the dash information display, I now have a screen that shows MTE, MPG, trip miles, and trip timer in a quadrant format. I don't remember that being there before. Do MFT updates affect the dash information display? I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't there before.

They are instructed as of last week to update all vehicles to 3.5.1 MFT as owners will also be getting a letter stating to take into the dealer, so they are saving you a step.

On the dash being different, as part of the recall they were instructed to update both the PCM and the ICM (instrument control module), which is why you are hearing a different turn signal chime and different readout for MTE, MPG, trip, etc. all escapes coming from the factory are getting the new trip readout and turn signal sounds.

One question, is before the ICM upgrade, was your temperature readout in the bottom of the display, and now at the top?

Excellent information, thanks.

One question, is before the ICM upgrade, was your temperature readout in the bottom of the display, and now at the top?

Yes, the temp was at the bottom before, now it is top left. Also, the gear indicator is no longer a reverse block highlight. The selected gear is now indicated by a larger, orange colored letter.

Edited by inswva

We got the call. Fiancee is picking ours up in 20 minutes.

Dealer called me a little while ago Tomorrow is my time.

My Dealer has been top notch with me since this whole thing happened.

I will finally get to drive my own car for the first time.

Ordered it 10 weeks ago and have made my first payment already.

They are instructed as of last week to update all vehicles to 3.5.1 MFT as owners will also be getting a letter stating to take into the dealer, so they are saving you a step.

On the dash being different, as part of the recall they were instructed to update both the PCM and the ICM (instrument control module), which is why you are hearing a different turn signal chime and different readout for MTE, MPG, trip, etc. all escapes coming from the factory are getting the new trip readout and turn signal sounds.

Will my 2.0 get the above ICM update when they upgrade my 3.2.2 to 3.5.1? If all the Escapes comming from the factory, I'm assuming, But then again, when one assumes.....

She said the fuel gauge seems to be off. Dealer said they filled it up and she's saying its showing 3/4 tank although the distance to empty is showing just over 300 which is usually does on a full tank. Will look at it tonight and see if there's an issue.

Will my 2.0 get the above ICM update when they upgrade my 3.2.2 to 3.5.1? If all the Escapes comming from the factory, I'm assuming, But then again, when one assumes.....

The ICM is totally seperate and an individual module from MFT. So in short, you won't get the ICM update unless there is a reason too, which there was in the case of the 1.6 recall.

She said the fuel gauge seems to be off. Dealer said they filled it up and she's saying its showing 3/4 tank although the distance to empty is showing just over 300 which is usually does on a full tank. Will look at it tonight and see if there's an issue.

My fusion has acted similar to this for the first 2 fill ups. I would say it displays at 85%. Since the dealer will do a fill up after the recall, i'll point it out to them right away so they can note it on the system that the fuel gauge is displaying incorrectly.

Dealer called me a little while ago Tomorrow is my time.

My Dealer has been top notch with me since this whole thing happened.

I will finally get to drive my own car for the first time.

Ordered it 10 weeks ago and have made my first payment already.

I talked to my dealer and they said they *just* got the update today. Vehicles will be done in the order they were recived, I beleive I was one of the first to drop off my vehicle. So I hope to get a phone call tomorrow to go pick it up.

We were able to put 3.6 gallons in the escape. Full gauge now. Dealer must have stopped short. Oh well.

New quadrant info screen is nice will post pic later

Instrument Panel Cluster software is also part of the update...

You're lucky...my dealer had to buy the tool to pressure test the cooling system...hoping for Wednesday.

The ICM is totally seperate and an individual module from MFT. So in short, you won't get the ICM update unless there is a reason too, which there was in the case of the 1.6 recall.

Oh, that's a bummer. I like the 4 quad screen, but I guess us 2.0 owners won't be seeing that upgrade. Correct?

Oh, that's a bummer. I like the 4 quad screen, but I guess us 2.0 owners won't be seeing that upgrade. Correct?

I can confirm that I have seen a 2.0 with the new upgraded dash version, but unless you can talk you dealer into doing an update without a symptom they haven't been instructed otherwise to do the ICM update on the 2.0.

I called it. Thought it would be software related.

EVEN BETTER.

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/QA%20with%20Raj%20Nair%20Regarding%20Fix%20in%20Voluntary%20Safety%20Recall%20of%202013%20Escapes%20and%202013%20Fusions%20with%201-6-liter%20Engines.aspx

Q&A with Raj Nair Regarding Fix in Voluntary Safety Recall of 2013 Escapes and 2013 Fusions with 1.6-liter Engines

Dec-10-2012 1:00 PM ET

DEARBORN - @Ford recently interviewed Raj Nair, group vice president, Global Product Development regarding the fix in the voluntary safety recall of the 2013 Escapes and 2013 Fusions with 1.6-liter engines.

Q. What is today’s announcement?

A. Today, we announced corrective action to address potential engine overheating that could result in engine fires in 2013 Ford Escape and Ford Fusion models equipped with 1.6-liter engines. The vehicles were subjects of a voluntary safety recall announced Nov. 30, 2012.

We are making updates to the cooling system software to better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition. The original cooling system design was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions. The new software will resolve this issue.

The software update fix is to approximately 73,500 2013 model year Escapes and 15,800 2013 model year Fusions equipped with the 1.6-liter engine.

Q. Why did it take more than a full week to find out what was wrong and to find a fix?

A. We took the time that was necessary to conduct a detailed engineering analysis to find the root cause and to find and validate the remedy. The timing of the remedy was fully dependent on conducting the proper analysis and fully validating the solution. We recalled the vehicles before having the fix identify because it was in the best interest of our customers.

Q. Is this the same issue as earlier this year when we recalled 2013 Escapes for potential fires?

A. The prior recalls addressed specific root causes that are not related to this recall. We are making updates to the cooling system software to better manage engine temperatures during this unique condition. Our software was not robust to a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions. The new software will resolve this issue.

Q. Are these changes you made to fix the issue in North America going to be implemented in the 1.6 liter engines in Europe?

A. No. We conducted a thorough investigation in Europe with the 1.6-liter engine and have determined there is no similar issue in Europe and no need for a recall.

Q. Do EcoBoost engines run hotter than non turbo charged engines. Is this a problem with all EcoBoost engines?

A. No. All internal combustion engines have components that run hot. This cooling issue is unique to the North American 1.6-liter engine. Our data shows that the European 1.6-liter and our other EcoBoost engines are not affected.

Q. Are we concerned about multiple recalls?

A. Our focus is on providing the highest-quality vehicles to our customers and responding quickly when we identify potential issues. The recalls are part of our process and our commitment to quality and to customers.

Well, its not a warranty concern so not free but if you really want the update, the dealer can do it and charge you for the approx 1 hour labor to install. Speak to your dealer, this should be possible although the 2.0s will likely get it at some point in the future with other updates.