20" Wheels vs 18" Wheels

Zrullac

Can anyone advise me on the pros/cons of running 20" Wheels vs 18" Wheels on my 2013 F350 CC 4X4, other than the truck will be 1" higher with the 20" wheels :rolleyes: . Will be towing a gooseneck horsetrailer, but mostly driving without the trailer. Thanks.

The ONLY advantage of 20" wheels on a Super Duty is looks.

• Like 1

I kinda agree there. I was at the local Ford dealer today and looked at two identical F350's except one had 18" and the other had 20" wheels. The 20's look really good. I noticed that the 18's have a taller sidewall though. I have 20's on my 2008 F250. It is also a very expensive tire to replace. Just replaced the OEM Goodyear tires with BF Goodrich all terrain. Much better tire. Quieter and smoother. $1200. Ouch. :(

Edited by Zrullac

I kinda agree there. I was at the local Ford dealer today and looked at two identical F350's except one had 18" and the other had 20" wheels. The 20's look really good. I noticed that the 18's have a taller sidewall though. I have 20's on my 2008 F250. It is also a very expensive tire to replace. Just replaced the OEM Goodyear tires with BF Goodrich all terrain. Much better tire. Quieter and smoother. $1200. Ouch. :(

Yeah, I'm probably gonna have to replace tires on mine next year (I have 20's as well). I'm considering the BFG A/T KO. Is that what you got? I love the looks of them, but they look fairly aggressive. However, if they are quieter and smoother, then I'm game!

• 2 months later...
I kinda agree there. I was at the local Ford dealer today and looked at two identical F350's except one had 18" and the other had 20" wheels. The 20's look really good. I noticed that the 18's have a taller sidewall though. I have 20's on my 2008 F250. It is also a very expensive tire to replace. Just replaced the OEM Goodyear tires with BF Goodrich all terrain. Much better tire. Quieter and smoother. $1200. Ouch. sad.png

Paid about the same $1200-$1300 for the BFG T/A KO's for my F150 with 18" rims. You'll find for stock size on these Fords, the 20" tires aren't much more expensive than the 18". Heck, I went one size up on my tires and paid less than the stock size because most people simply order the stock size replacement and they can charge more.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna have to replace tires on mine next year (I have 20's as well). I'm considering the BFG A/T KO. Is that what you got? I love the looks of them, but they look fairly aggressive. However, if they are quieter and smoother, then I'm game!

Stay away from the Load Range "E" on the BFG T/A KO's, unless you want a back breaking stiff ride.

And could have swore the Rugged Terrain were the tires that came with my F150 stock. Decent tire, wore out quick, but the A/T's are a step up IMHO.

Edited by V8-X

Paid about the same $1200-$1300 for the BFG T/A KO's for my F150 with 18" rims. You'll find for stock size on these Fords, the 20" tires aren't much more expensive than the 18". Heck, I went one size up on my tires and paid less than the stock size because most people simply order the stock size replacement and they can charge more.

Stay away from the Load Range "E" on the BFG T/A KO's, unless you want a back breaking stiff ride.

And could have swore the Rugged Terrain were the tires that came with my F150 stock. Decent tire, wore out quick, but the A/T's are a step up IMHO.

Well, I need Load Range "E" in my Super Duty. Are the "E"s in the BFG's rougher than normal "E"s? I have to do something by next winter...the GY Wrangler AT/S on my truck are about done...got stuck in my driveway in 6 inches of slushy snow.

Well, I need Load Range "E" in my Super Duty. Are the "E"s in the BFG's rougher than normal "E"s? I have to do something by next winter...the GY Wrangler AT/S on my truck are about done...got stuck in my driveway in 6 inches of slushy snow.

I have the Load Range "E" on my F150 and like a stiffer ride, but the wife and kids hate it. Either way, I don't have much experience with other brand "E" rated tires, as I always opt for the BFG's after the stock tires wear out. But can tell you, the "E" rated BFG's helped wear out my front lower ball joints on my F150 in less than 20K miles they ride so rough.

I have the Load Range "E" on my F150 and like a stiffer ride, but the wife and kids hate it. Either way, I don't have much experience with other brand "E" rated tires, as I always opt for the BFG's after the stock tires wear out. But can tell you, the "E" rated BFG's helped wear out my front lower ball joints on my F150 in less than 20K miles they ride so rough.

Hmmm, I can probably live with it. The extra weight of the diesel helps to smooth out the ride a bit. Ball joints on Super Duties don't last that long anyway, sadly. Figure I'm on borrowed time at 43k...

Can anyone advise me on the pros/cons of running 20" Wheels vs 18" Wheels on my 2013 F350 CC 4X4, other than the truck will be 1" higher with the 20" wheels rolleyes.gif . Will be towing a gooseneck horsetrailer, but mostly driving without the trailer. Thanks.

Just a bit smoother ride.....especially when loaded.

I remember when I was a kid.....the Ford Falcon ( think it was a 62 or 63 if I remember right) went from 13" to 14"......thought we died and went to heaven.

My 04 F-350 had the 18" wheels....my 12 F-250 has the 20" wheels......feels like I died and went to heaven. ;)

Edited by JCZ

Just a bit smoother ride.....especially when loaded.

I remember when I was a kid.....the Ford Falcon ( think it was a 62 or 63 if I remember right) went from 13" to 14"......thought we died and went to heaven.

My 04 F-350 had the 18" wheels....my 12 F-250 has the 20" wheels......feels like I died and went to heaven. ;)

You're '12 rides better than your '04 due to new frame and suspension architecture, not because 20" wheels ride better. In my experience, the 20" wheels ride rougher with the shorter sidewall.

• 2 months later...