How to drive the Fusion Hybrid for maximum MPG?

Iggnutts

I'm maybe 2 weeks away from getting my SE Hybrid. I've read a lot about problems attaining the MPG figures for this model and the others. I'm hoping to have folks respond here with nice simple tips about how to obtain the maximum MPG from the hybrid.

The most common vague advice given in this forum is that if you want to get maximumn MPG, learn to drive a hybrid.

Lets get specific. I'll start off.

After watching the Car and Driver video posted elsewhere in this forum, I think running under maximum electric engine output is probably one of the best ways to get maximum MPG. Less gas used, more MPG. I've read electric can be used up to 62 MPH.

In order ot use the electric engine, you need electricity, hence battery power. I've learned that the battery gets charged via regenerative breaking, as opposed to friction braking by the disc brakes. Regenerative braking is supposed to use the electric engine as an electric generator.

In order to get regenerative breaking, you have to brake slowly over a longer distance, as opposed to breaking sharply over a short distance.

That's going to be a hard habit to change for me. I have been braking hard at the last minute all my life. I wear brakes out quickly. Costs me a fortune.

Luckily there are braking scores in the dash, to help you maximize regenerative braking. I'm going to put them to good use.

Anyone else have some good tips?

One thing that has been put forward is to warm up the car before driving.

That is NOT a good idea. You want the most distance out of any gas used, so be gentle.

Some have suggested thinking about an egg between your foot and the accelerator.

Others say that a firm acceleration to match traffic and then get off the gas and use minimum

gas required to stay with traffic which should let the EV kick in.

I have a '10 I'm trading which had a 41 MPG long term average and got 43 MPG on my summer vacation.

Good luck.

Normal acceleration to get up to speed is better than accelerating very slowly trying to stay in EV mode. Once at speed, pulse and glide is supposed to yield the best results and keep it at 60 mph or slower. Learn to anticipate stops and coast as much as possible (works for all vehicles). I've found I can let off the gas hundreds of yards before a stop and coast without going too slowly. Learn to coast as much as possible when going downhill. When going uphill don't try to keep the same speed - let it drop a little.

Using 100% gasoline will help instead of E-10 if you can find it.

• Like 1

Normal acceleration to get up to speed is better than accelerating very slowly trying to stay in EV mode. Once at speed, pulse and glide is supposed to yield the best results and keep it at 60 mph or slower. Learn to anticipate stops and coast as much as possible (works for all vehicles). I've found I can let off the gas hundreds of yards before a stop and coast without going too slowly. Learn to coast as much as possible when going downhill. When going uphill don't try to keep the same speed - let it drop a little.

Does regenerative braking kick in when you coast? Coasting is one good thing my dad taught me. He said think of having 2 brakes. Letting your foot off the accelerator should be the first one used (ie coasting), and only use the 2nd if and when needed.

I would imagine though that coasting might turn off the ICE, but not use the generator. Would one need to add light braking to charge the battery?

Normal acceleration to get up to speed is better than accelerating very slowly trying to stay in EV mode.  Once at speed, pulse and glide is supposed to yield the best results and keep it at 60 mph or slower.  Learn to anticipate stops and coast as much as possible (works for all vehicles).  I've found I can let off the gas hundreds of yards before a stop and coast without going too slowly.  Learn to coast as much as possible when going downhill.  When going uphill don't try to keep the same speed - let it drop a little.

Yep, what he said.  The pulse and glide thing can be very helpful, though it seems counterintuitive, and it drives my husband crazy when I do it, for that reason.  He doesn't drive a hybrid so he doesn't get it, but the way it seems to make sense to me is that while watching the feedback if I can get maximum mileage for 3 seconds then accelarate for less than maximum mileage for that long or less, I should be getting better than 50mpg average during those times.  Of course, your overall averages will be balanced out by your city stop and go and extra highway speed, but all of that does help.

Edited by elle

You're not going to get the kind of answers you are looking for on this site. Try http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and ask the top hypermilers in the World. Yes, Pulse & Glide is a top technique, but you need to know your vehicle and adjust this technique for your vehicle. Many people say it doesn't work, but they don't have the ability to adjust it to their vehicle.

First of all, there are two types of coasting, Neutral Gear and Drive Gear. Neutral Gear coasting has no regen and "D" Gear has regen and fuel-cut above 40mph in the engine. I use "N" coasting under 40mph and use "D" coasting and fuel-cut above 40mph in my '09 FEH. I have the World Record MPG in the '09 Ford Escape Hybrid with a Lifetime MPG of 53.9mpg. Best tank, 65mpg going 884 miles on 13.6 gallons of E10. That is 200% of the rated combined EPA of 32.5mpg.

• Like 1

Thanks! Found this great forum thread over there that defines EPA testing in depth in the first post.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=303f33d417d63ada0ca071f052197433&t=1510

Wayne Gerdes is the owner of Cleanmpg and one of the best hypermilers around. Ford let him drive one of the first Fusion Hybrids in DC with 3 Ford Hybrid Engineers and Carl Edwards a Ford race car driver. Wayne taught all of them to hypermile and they went 1445 miles on one tank of gas. They averaged over 80mpg on that single tank of gas.

You can choose what ever techniques you want and make them everyday driving habits to increase MPG.

You're not going to get the kind of answers you are looking for on this site. Try http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and ask the top hypermilers in the World. Yes, Pulse & Glide is a top technique, but you need to know your vehicle and adjust this technique for your vehicle. Many people say it doesn't work, but they don't have the ability to adjust it to their vehicle.

First of all, there are two types of coasting, Neutral Gear and Drive Gear. Neutral Gear coasting has no regen and "D" Gear has regen and fuel-cut above 40mph in the engine. I use "N" coasting under 40mph and use "D" coasting and fuel-cut above 40mph in my '09 FEH. I have the World Record MPG in the '09 Ford Escape Hybrid with a Lifetime MPG of 53.9mpg. Best tank, 65mpg going 884 miles on 13.6 gallons of E10. That is 200% of the rated combined EPA of 32.5mpg.

Great site. I am sure I can learn more than a few things there, even though I've been driving a hybrid for close to four years. Appreciate the link.

One thing that has been put forward is to warm up the car before driving.

That is NOT a good idea. You want the most distance out of any gas used, so be gentle.

Some have suggested thinking about an egg between your foot and the accelerator.

Others say that a firm acceleration to match traffic and then get off the gas and use minimum

gas required to stay with traffic which should let the EV kick in.

I have a '10 I'm trading which had a 41 MPG long term average and got 43 MPG on my summer vacation.

Good luck.

Which do you prefer.. egg or firm acceleration???

thanks for the info..