Removing/reinstall of headliner more problems than it's worth?

RedFusion

Long story short, my brand-new 2013 fusion came equipped with two dents on the roof. Dealer says the headliner has to come out in order to fix them.

Has anybody had any experience with having their headliner removed and reinstalled? Is it asking for more problems like future sagging/wrinkles, rattles and squeaks, etc. etc. that make it worth living with the dents?

I have never had a headliner removed before so I "don't know what I don't know" about the possible ramifications.

Any second opinions on other possible alternatives to remove the dents without removing the headliner?

Thanks

You spend a massive amount of money to buy a brand new car. It has dents in the roof. You're willing to accept this because you're worried they may install it wrong causing winkles in the headliner?? No, have them fix it, and provide a loaner to you while they are doing it. Inspect it when they're done, make sure it's right, and don't accept it if it's not right.

Mine came with wrinkles in the headliner. Supposed to get a new one installed this week.

I suspect that some of the rumors of headliner issues on the early builds were true.

I accepted a TBD car that looked like it had been in a desert dust storm for two months.

When will I ever learn?

On a side note: I've always wondered what people do to headliners to make them fall apart. I see it all the time, yet not one of any of the cars me or anyone in my family has ever owned has ever succumbed to the drooping/shredding headliner. What gives?

Edited by NickF1011

You spend a massive amount of money to buy a brand new car. It has dents in the roof. You're willing to accept this because you're worried they may install it wrong causing winkles in the headliner?? No, have them fix it, and provide a loaner to you while they are doing it. Inspect it when they're done, make sure it's right, and don't accept it if it's not right.

Well, no. Not willing to live with the dents yet. Trying to get more info to make my decision. I have regretted not "leaving well enough alone" in the past. My concern lies in the future. It may look good after they do it but a poor job (bad glue job etc.) may not show up until years later. I've never needed to have this done so I have no experience to go by. The dents are hard to see depending on the angle/light. Salesman couldn't find them at first when I took it back for him to look at (but I know where they are now, and my open garage door frames them quite nicely when standing in the doorway to my house..... LOL) And yes, they are giving me a loaner for the time it takes.

And yes, after spending the money that I have, it is unfortunate that I am in the position of needing to make this choice.....

Mine came with wrinkles in the headliner. Supposed to get a new one installed this week.

I suspect that some of the rumors of headliner issues on the early builds were true.

I accepted a TBD car that looked like it had been in a desert dust storm for two months.

When will I ever learn?

I feel your pain on that last part kpeex. After the issues on my flex and now this fusion I am asking myself the same thing.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Edited by RedFusion

I may be wrong, but isn't the headliner one piece? Meaning, they remove the whole thing. It's not like they will be only taking off the cloth, and then need to re-glue it. In my Lincoln LS, you could see that the entire headliner assembly could be removed without removing the cloth, I would think it's the same for the fusion.

On a side note: I've always wondered what people do to headliners to make them fall apart. I see it all the time, yet not one of any of the cars me or anyone in my family has ever owned has ever succumbed to the drooping/shredding headliner. What gives?

I've had some older cars where I replaced the headliner, that includes some cars that I've restored. Over time the headliner could start to sag. Some were dirty and couldn't be cleaned to my satisfaction.

I suspect in the new Fusions, having headliner issues, they weren't glued properly.

Edited by hermans

I may be wrong, but isn't the headliner one piece? Meaning, they remove the whole thing. It's not like they will be only taking off the cloth, and then need to re-glue it. In my Lincoln LS, you could see that the entire headliner assembly could be removed without removing the cloth, I would think it's the same for the fusion.

Yes, I believe that is the case. But I believe the entire "assembly" is then held in place with glue if what I have been told is accurate.

Sometimes I have thoughts of leaving the dents as a "self-punishment" for buying another first-year vehicle (see my last post). Ha ha.

Edited by RedFusion

As I am one of those who has the headliner issue to deal with, I asked the dealer about the removal and re-installation The headliner is held in place by the A, B and C pillars essentially. It is a molded, semi rigid assy that comes out in one piece. The fabric is attached to the rigid portion via glue, but that should not be impacted by your situation.

The problems with the headliner that some of us are experiencing is a bad fabric fitment over the molded piece which causes wrinkles and an uneven finish. A simple remove and re-install should not affect that finish in any way since our issues are created during fabrication of the headliner itself.

As I am one of those who has the headliner issue to deal with, I asked the dealer about the removal and re-installation The headliner is held in place by the A, B and C pillars essentially. It is a molded, semi rigid assy that comes out in one piece. The fabric is attached to the rigid portion via glue, but that should not be impacted by your situation.

The problems with the headliner that some of us are experiencing is a bad fabric fitment over the molded piece which causes wrinkles and an uneven finish. A simple remove and re-install should not affect that finish in any way since our issues are created during fabrication of the headliner itself.

Thanks for the info txtenor. That differs from what was mentioned to me about glue holding the assembly in there or something along those lines. Helps my visions of the headliner coming apart as it is pulled from the grip of the glue (and destroying who knows what else) go away..... :)

Edited by RedFusion

Red Fusion: (mine is also Red, Red Ruby) I don't think one of your dealer's techs is going to take it out in the back, strip off the material from the shell and attempt to re-glue it. Modern headliners are made in a factory and shipped as a one piece unit. My guess is if they can't fit it in through the trunk with the seats removed, then they would have to remove the rear or front glass. Don't worry about it, you don't need any penalty's for buying a new car. It's supposed to be right at the beginning.