Lincoln bows out of comparison with Azera, Avalon, Maxima...

I can see the MKZ versus the ATS. I just don't think that a BMW owner would consider a Lincoln. I think at this point it's an aspirational goal that the MKZ will compete with the Germans.

I have a friend with a Cadillac considering a new ATS. I'm not sure that Lincoln is even on the radar. I'd go with him to the Lincoln dealer, but I don't see any MKZs yet.

We're all Ford fans, we may be a bit biased.

I can see the MKZ versus the ATS.

Having sat in both at auto shows, I don't see it at all. They have a very different feel (laid back luxury vs type A performance), different motivation (fwd vs rwd), and different brand images now. I don't know many people cross shopping a Lexus ES vs A4, and I think this is much the same. Plus, in auto enthusiast magazines, I don't think that is friendly turf for an MKZ.

• Like 1

Having sat in both at auto shows, I don't see it at all. They have a very different feel (laid back luxury vs type A performance), different motivation (fwd vs rwd), and different brand images now. I don't know many people cross shopping a Lexus ES vs A4, and I think this is much the same. Plus, in auto enthusiast magazines, I don't think that is friendly turf for an MKZ.

Yep, the ATS is a true sport sedan that gives the best German sports sedans a decent run for the money, and the MKZ is a good looking luxo cruiser that is more distinctive than the Lexus ES 350. And probably handles better than the ES. MKZ is going after completely different customer than ATS. Nothing wrong with that. And MKZ will probably sell better than ATS since it comes in hybrid and non hybrid form.

And MKZ will probably sell better than ATS since it comes in hybrid and non hybrid form.

And be a lot cheaper to produce than the ATS (at least initially until ATS platform gets more vehicles).

If the ATS had been built on an existing shared platform and wasn't cannibalizing CTS sales it would make more sense from a business perspective.

And it doesn't matter how good the car is - you're not going to win many BMW driver conquests. The Lexus drivers are a far easier target.