Ford's PTCruiser.

156n3rd

I know it has been mentioned around here before, but I would like to make a stab at it. Build a vehicle similar in size to the PTC/HHR. Make it look like the 1939 Ford with 2 different rear end treatments. Give it a powerful 4 cyl. engine that is great with fuel management. Put the 5-speed stick on the column with a split bench seat. Make a panel, sedan and 4-dr. hardtop. Give it an option of plain steel wheels and hub caps and chrome bumpers and suicide doors. Give it state of the art interior management and versatility. Give it non-metallic color options and make it tune-able.

Yeah, I think the retro wagon thing is played out. The PTC was "cute" for the first year. But now with the HHR out also, Ford would look like a copy cat. I think the HHR looks out dated already.

I'd much rather Ford brought over a couple of their "small" people movers from Europe. Some of those are nice sporty edgy lines that would work here.

Personally, I think the HHR has got legs. I think its an attractive vehicle. Therefore, I imagine everyone else must think so too. I think sales will remain strong.

I also think the PT Cruiser has plenty of life left, with variations (just as the mini is doing now by introducing a wagon) and technical upgrades. I posted ideas on a different thread: 4 door sedan with humpback trunk, 2 door coupe, 2-door roadster with a rumble seat, 2 door Sedan Delivery panel van, pickup (retro Rampage). I think they would do well to leaving styling changes to a minimum and just focus on variations and technical upgrades.

With Challenger and Camaro about to hit the streets, I wouldn't say retro is dead. And people with perhaps smaller budgets and more pressing practical needs (like hauling) should be able to get their slice of the pie too.

But I also favor having modern people mover alternatives. If Chrysler has room in its lineup for both the PT Cruiser and the Caliber, I think GM and Ford could manage that too.

But I also favor having modern people mover alternatives. If Chrysler has room in its lineup for both the PT Cruiser and the Caliber, I think GM and Ford could manage that too.

Well, if Ford does come out with the Bronco as a "cute-ute" isn't it potentially their HHR Fighter?

tb_bronco_concept_lead.jpg

Since the PT Cruiser has had a few years to fun like it is, perhaps they should advance the styling to be a modern evolution like that concept they did a couple years ago where all the soft edges were sharpened and more contemporary.

Personally, I think the HHR has got legs. I think its an attractive vehicle. Therefore, I imagine everyone else must think so too. I think sales will remain strong.

I also think the PT Cruiser has plenty of life left, with variations (just as the mini is doing now by introducing a wagon) and technical upgrades. I posted ideas on a different thread: 4 door sedan with humpback trunk, 2 door coupe, 2-door roadster with a rumble seat, 2 door Sedan Delivery panel van, pickup (retro Rampage). I think they would do well to leaving styling changes to a minimum and just focus on variations and technical upgrades.

With Challenger and Camaro about to hit the streets, I wouldn't say retro is dead. And people with perhaps smaller budgets and more pressing practical needs (like hauling) should be able to get their slice of the pie too.

Well, that's an individual thing. Personally, that's exactly where I feel VW and Chrysler failed with their updates of the New Beetle and the PT Cruiser - sharp creases. They appeared on the fenders of the New Beetle (where did that come from? It certainly has no precedent in the Old Beetle...), and in the dash design of the updated PT Cruiser. The old dash actually did a great job of capturing the era that the car was trying to evoke - much better than the dash of the HHR for example. "Modernizing" something whose raison d' etre is to evoke the past seems a bit quixotic to me. It takes something that started with character and conviction, and turns it into a mixed message.

I think there is some wiggle room with the Mustang. But as for the New Beetle and PT Cruiser, for me - for me (I respect your differing opinion on this matter) - I feel like the best approach is to pretty much freeze the car visually (with any styling refinements aimed at correcting obvious shortcomings, not at "freshening" the appearance), and concentrate development on drivetrain, chassis, and functional matters, and on introducing new variants to capture additional market.

Edited by retro-man

• 4 weeks later...

Base it on this.......

CRW_1734_JFR.jpg

Rear wheel drive, maybe awd as an option

15 to 16K gets 4 banger (130 hp) 5speed stick, maybe 500 extra for automatic

17 to 18K gets Hi Perf four banger (150+hp), Cd changer

18 to 20K gets V6(180 to 200hp), 16 inch Aluminum Wheels, ground effects,dark tinted windows Dual exhaust.

Options AWD, Custom paint schemes (flames, 2tone , pin stripes , candy colors or color change) leather interior, custom look retro gauges.

Max out at 25K

What do you think?

• 2 months later...