HR in Lima ignores federal law....

Hi-lo 1990

What does it say about an HR department when they haul an employee up to labor relations for writing a letter to the membership about its Union reps that need to step up to the plate? The letter spoke of health and safety needs, and the desire for a local agreement. Lima's HR person threatened to discipline the employee if he wrote another letter. She clearly doesn't know federal law. Or maybe she's just used to writing the rules as she goes, and has gotten away with it for too long. What would happen in your plant??

Disgruntled transplant, I will admit there are many things wrong at Lima but you are constantly distributing your bitch and moan letters throughout the plant. Many people just laugh at them, nobody held a cattle prod to your butt and forced you to come to Lima.

Somebody would have to place a gun to my head to get me to slima Ohio worst local ever. Too bad I am already there. Didn't know when I transferred how bad it is. Thanks to Lima we have team leaders. Lima is an experiment for the company. I personally wish it would close for the sake of our union. Also to anyone who might be thinking of transferring here, Lima sucks. Lima Ohio is the armpit of America

Somebody would have to place a gun to my head to get me to slima Ohio worst local ever. Too bad I am already there. Didn't know when I transferred how bad it is. Thanks to Lima we have team leaders. Lima is an experiment for the company. I personally wish it would close for the sake of our union. Also to anyone who might be thinking of transferring here, Lima sucks. Lima Ohio is the armpit of America

So you are saying that someone held a gun to your head? Do you even think about what you type or did you have a case of cranial diahrea? I believe you are nothing more than an infected hair in the armpit of America.

Sounds to me like Lima is going to have some job openings soon and your trying to scare people into not transferring so you can get your relatives a job !

There was nothing at all wrong with the letters the employee wrote. What happened to freedom of speech? If you don't like the letters or disagree with them then simply don't read them. How hard is that? :)

The employee certainly did nothing wrong to deserve to be taken to labor.

I can't say I agree with everything the OP is stating but, there is a lot of truth in this and other threads the OP has started/commented in. HR has gained access to employee medical records(HIPA violation)!!! There's been no Local contract(a new one) for at least 9 months and seems to be a low priority. Seniority means very little here, team leader postings are in HR office not on the floor(and the decision is usually made BEFORE the interviews).

I've found the majority of fellow employees great to work with but , a little ...........complacent as far as Union Representation. "That's how Lima does it " IS a standard answer to most things.

I feel it is time for the International to take a little interest in LEP and get things moving in a better direction. Without a Local contract in place there is just a weight on ones shoulder that doesn't need to be there.

Also HATE the Opt Out cards for Overtime!!!

Ost8t, the opt system is something that has been in place at Lima for a very long time. The master agreement allows each local unit to set up there own overtime system, within a few guidelines layed out by the master agreement. That is just one of those things that has to be changed through the local agreement. If a resolution was submitted for that to be changed, then it should be taken to the table for local negotiations. The system is quite confusing and does allow for supervison to "make errors" in scheduling, especially if they can't get enough help on a shift for OT.

As far as the work force goes, for over a decade, LEP had chairmen with northward bound agenda. Those chairmen used lies, strong-arm tactics, etc. to achieve their own personal goals. So, you are correct when you so that some of the work force has become complacent. I can tell you this though, I have seen changes within the last year or two, small changes, that show me that the tide is starting to turn in our favor, gradually. People just need to excercise a little calm and understanding, all the damage that has been done over a decade will not be undone in a few short months.

Edited by lep_wrencher
  • Like 1

There is the problem a real local would have a local agreement by know. But not slima engine? Our last president was salary before he was president or chairmen. How does that happen? Would you vote for a salary employee for chairmen of your local? Slima needed help but now its too late. Looking forward to moving again.

There was nothing at all wrong with the letters the employee wrote. What happened to freedom of speech? If you don't like the letters or disagree with them then simply don't read them. How hard is that? :)

The employee certainly did nothing wrong to deserve to be taken to labor.

Outside of certain issues, which may be covered under health and safety or something like whistle-blower acts, you are an at-will employee.

Charley, still waiting on you to tell us what federal law Lima violated. Instead of ranting and opening multiple threads could you tell us what law is being violated?

I'm not Charley but I can answer your question. First off, HR broke the HIPA law, they opened up employee's medical records which is totally agaisn't the law. Second, HR broke TAFA, by saying employee's cant write letters which is violation of the national labor board. Also, there is a 60 page Ford Motor Company handbook of rules and regulations which clearly states that employee's can communicate freely. And the MOST important one of all is the right of freedom of free speech which is the FIRST amendment to the constitution of the United States of America. Hope this answers your question. LEP clearly has some HR issues that need to be addressed.

• Like 2

I hear that the biggest problem in Lima is that that the supervision and hr are a bunch of incompetent drunks. Taco tuesdays down at the neiborhood bar, bowling on wednesdays, golfing binges in florida. the salary in the new engine line are the worst. everynight after work its a big drunkfest and they can't hardley get to work the next day! If an hourly person happens to wonder into "their bar", they harass them until they leave. This shouldn't be tolerated. My buddy there says that salary has taken over the moose club, golf clubs, eagles club, ect. In my neck of the woods, they have their own place and don't come to ours. Sounds like arrogance to me. There are ways to break these parties up folks. dif. culture up here i guess. Good Luck Lima, seems like you still have alot going for you. The other problems like the drunks will take care of themselves.

Lima seems to have once again secured new work. They must be doing something right. You can't build a company based on drunken friendships and backroom deals. This attack on them seems to be fairly skewed. Ford has deeply ingrained them within their future Powertrain plans.

If they broke the law then there are avenues to pursue to deal with that. Attacking the entire plant is quite narrow minded though. I've been told their union thinks outside the box. If you have any desire to survive in North American manufacturing today this is the place you need to be. Best of luck to all of us.

• Like 2