Ford's unfair and antiquated ordering system

A lot of dealers may not want the customer to know what's happening with their vehicle because they may have played games with the order or the priority or maybe the dealer doesn't have allocation. Or they may not want to look bad when the customer knows more than they do.

I'd like to see Ford do Retail Order Verification on all orders for all vehicles. Give ROVs the same priority (10) and build them in chronological order by date received without allocation restrictions. Give the customer a website to track the order by order number and vin and provide proactive notifications when status changes.

I know my dealer is starting to get irate with me and my constant request for updates now that the financing is all signed for. My delivery date just got pushed back and I gave them an earful the other day. It would be nice if we had an official means of getting updates on our own vs having to go into the dealer.

I know my dealer is starting to get irate with me and my constant request for updates now that the financing is all signed for. My delivery date just got pushed back and I gave them an earful the other day. It would be nice if we had an official means of getting updates on our own vs having to go into the dealer.

why would you give the dealer an earful?, he doesnt build freight and ship the car, do you really think utilizing him as a fall guy will help your situation in the slightest????...call him back and apologize, or I hope you receive your car dirty and with an empty tank and no one shows you operational features....so TAKLE THAT!....lol ..............ok, I killed a few minutes scrolling, from a dealers standpoint its interesting to read consumers responses , and as much as I agree with a flawed ordering / allocation etc etc process, theres also a common deniminator that was glaringly apparent...TOTAL LACK OF PATIENCE....sheesh, people need to chill, also, I have NEVER in 25 years witnessed a 4 weeke order to delivery timetable, its 6 weeks minimum ( usually ) to whenever and variables such as commodity issues, supplier issues, transport issue , weather issues ALL factor into the equation.....not to mention lapses in QC ( witness Fusion headlamps ).....and NO amount of bitching and complaining will rectify ANY of those issues....

Great post- if ford would consider this simple/concise suggestion, all these threads would disappear, and customers would finally feel as if they were being treated properly, you know, like others treat real customers :)

to an extent, unfortunately if a consumer sees something on their 23 inch monitor they beleive it to be gospel correct?....major flaw in THAT is the information input is ONLY as accurate as the person that input it.....as rudementary on the surface as it seems I beleive the semantics are WAY more complicated in this ( Fords ) scale....otherwise, IMO, a far simpler system would have already been implemented....

why would you give the dealer an earful?, he doesnt build freight and ship the car, do you really think utilizing him as a fall guy will help your situation in the slightest????...call him back and apologize, or I hope you receive your car dirty and with an empty tank and no one shows you operational features....so TAKLE THAT!....lol ..............ok, I killed a few minutes scrolling, from a dealers standpoint its interesting to read consumers responses , and as much as I agree with a flawed ordering / allocation etc etc process, theres also a common deniminator that was glaringly apparent...TOTAL LACK OF PATIENCE....sheesh, people need to chill, also, I have NEVER in 25 years witnessed a 4 weeke order to delivery timetable, its 6 weeks minimum ( usually ) to whenever and variables such as commodity issues, supplier issues, transport issue , weather issues ALL factor into the equation.....not to mention lapses in QC ( witness Fusion headlamps ).....and NO amount of bitching and complaining will rectify ANY of those issues....

Go take a look over at the dieselstop forum. Bob Maxey a dealer in MI can get them delivered in as little as 2 weeks. Of course he's in MI so he probably picks them up at the factory. He also must have lots of allocation if he can get a VIN and build date in 2 days. I don't expect them to get mine to TX in 2 weeks but nearly 3 months is kinda pushing it don't you think? Had this trouble with my ecoboost as I got one of the first ones. They had some "secret recall" going on. They had a lot full and were putting up those portable canopies and working on them out in the yard. Also were bringing them back after they had left the factory for this "secret recall" which they never said what it was. Since we are in the third year for this truck, the only hold up was the ruby red metallic paint that I know of.

Read the forums there. Quite a few appear to drive there to get good deals. I don't know him and wouldn't drive to MI anyway for a deal but that's just one example of how fast trucks can be built and delivered. Read around that forum under the "Ordering" sub=forum and you can get an idea of delivery times. Way less than three months, except for the guys that ordered ruby red metallic in NOV and it was on hold until mid March

Go take a look over at the dieselstop forum. Bob Maxey a dealer in MI can get them delivered in as little as 2 weeks. Of course he's in MI so he probably picks them up at the factory. He also must have lots of allocation if he can get a VIN and build date in 2 days. I don't expect them to get mine to TX in 2 weeks but nearly 3 months is kinda pushing it don't you think? Had this trouble with my ecoboost as I got one of the first ones. They had some "secret recall" going on. They had a lot full and were putting up those portable canopies and working on them out in the yard. Also were bringing them back after they had left the factory for this "secret recall" which they never said what it was. Since we are in the third year for this truck, the only hold up was the ruby red metallic paint that I know of.

Ford only schedules vehicles once a week.

Once scheduled, production is usually 2-3 weeks later.

Dealers can't pick up a vehicle from the plant AFAIK. The unions would be all over them.

Gave them an earful because they keep promising me update calls but never call me. To get an update I have to go in and sometimes they use the "Sorry I am new here" excuse as a reason to not look up something in the computer.

Sorry cheif, you were here when I ordered my car 10 weeks ago. If you still consider yourself new then your training sucks.

I have plenty of patience, which is why I ordered what I wanted to start with, but when my delivery keeps getting pushed back they could at least call me and tell me the status changed vs calling in and getting a "Im sorry I cant look that up in the computer right now, I will call you back later" and not getting a call or update for a few days until I go there in person. If I could just look it up myself it would solve that. I dont mind delays in shipping as long as I can stay informed.

If you want something done right....

BEING IN THE BUSINESS FOR 25 YEARS...i SINCERELY DOUBT ONE PARTICULAR DEALER GETS CARS BUILT 6 WEEKS QUICKER THAN EVERY OTHER DEALER IN THE US....sorry, thats flat out BS, Superduties can be quick due to stockpiles at the factory...two weeks...NOT....

Gave them an earful because they keep promising me update calls but never call me. To get an update I have to go in and sometimes they use the "Sorry I am new here" excuse as a reason to not look up something in the computer.

Sorry cheif, you were here when I ordered my car 10 weeks ago. If you still consider yourself new then your training sucks.

I have plenty of patience, which is why I ordered what I wanted to start with, but when my delivery keeps getting pushed back they could at least call me and tell me the status changed vs calling in and getting a "Im sorry I cant look that up in the computer right now, I will call you back later" and not getting a call or update for a few days until I go there in person. If I could just look it up myself it would solve that. I dont mind delays in shipping as long as I can stay informed.

If you want something done right....

beleive me, it gets as tiring for the dealers being unable to answer questions as it does for the customer.....

Does it seem odd that I ordered 5-6 weeks ago and still can't print the window sticker?

People have to register on the Sync site nowadays right? How about let us register once and for all with Ford in general, and that not only would cover sync, but allow us to track our own vehicle order and build status via a web page.

Does it seem odd that I ordered 5-6 weeks ago and still can't print the window sticker?

People have to register on the Sync site nowadays right? How about let us register once and for all with Ford in general, and that not only would cover sync, but allow us to track our own vehicle order and build status via a web page.

what type of car?....if its a Fusion Hybrid or the like it may take a while to get a vin number....as for the other suggestion, that would require Ford opening up a whole new division to handle the requests....and to handle their volume it would NOT be a small department....SO we add 100 employees, their benefits, health insurance etc etc etc ....I doubt it will ever see the day, what seems simple on the surface most definitely isnt....

Edited by Deanh

My salesman has been selling Ford's at this dealership for 32 years and he says that you cannot lock in rebates. So is this true or not? If so tell us how it works? Do you work for Ford or sell them?

Sorry, I completely missed your post. Here is the program, granted it shows an expiration date but they do year after year and just extend it with a new expiration date. Just goes to show that even with 32 years experience of sales, rebates and pricing, it doesn't make you an expert. I'm not sure when it began but I used this program to lock in my rebates 2 years ago this month. I'd love to see the expression on his face if you show him this lol.

2013-02-02_19-39-23_171_zps9e0d32a2.jpg

Edited by blwnsmoke

• 2 weeks later...
what type of car?....if its a Fusion Hybrid or the like it may take a while to get a vin number....as for the other suggestion, that would require Ford opening up a whole new division to handle the requests....and to handle their volume it would NOT be a small department....SO we add 100 employees, their benefits, health insurance etc etc etc ....I doubt it will ever see the day, what seems simple on the surface most definitely isnt....

100 employees to put a web based automated system which ties into a database of information that already exists? How about a development team of 2 people working for 40 hours. Ask me how I know.