Interior and Exterior LED Mods?

Darthsnipe

I am awaiting my 2013 Fusion SE 1.6L but I was wondering, has any one tried to place their own DIY Interior or Exterior lights (e.g. Ambient Light or LED Accent Lighting, respectively)?

I have never modded before but I am thinking about placing some interior ambient lighting. The black interior was too drab in the Titanium and I needed to save gas without going Hybrid, so I went for an SE with Dune and was hoping I can somehow mimic the ambient lighting in the Titanium's (or get something better than the factory lighting). It doesn't need to change color but a color suggestion would be nice though for a Fusion with a Dune interior and White Platinum exterior.

Also, I saw the dealer I shopped at have a Fusion SE installed with LED Accent lighting underneath the headlights as a dealer-installed option on a display model (I wish I took a picture). So, I was wondering if it was easy to make such a modification because the dealer is charging an exhorbitant amount of money for such an option and I know the price ain't right ($750)?

Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated and also, installation instructions is a big plus.

Probably something like a DRL. As cool as this car is - when you look around Ford has really missed the boat in the US for DRL's. GM's been doing it for 12 years or more - it is all about safety. But the last couple of years - the different brands - especially Audi, Lexus and a couple of others have really taken off in the DRL and LED's to make their "mark" on their brand. That is about the only thing so far that I see the Fusion has missed out on - other than maybe cooled seats - but I know those are available in the MKZ.

What do u mean LED accent under headlamp?

LED accenting like the 2013 Ford Escape Titanium has. Like a set of LED Daytime Running Lamp strips underneath the headlights. So yes, gdn is correct, it was like DRLs but I think you have to keep the parking lights on in order for them to work so I wouldn't say they are really DRLs.

It would be nice to find someone who can help me mod some LED strip DRLs underneath the headlights. I want them to turn on when the engine is on or when the key is in the ON position without moving the headlight switch.

LED accenting like the 2013 Ford Escape Titanium has. Like a set of LED Daytime Running Lamp strips underneath the headlights. So yes, gdn is correct, it was like DRLs but I think you have to keep the parking lights on in order for them to work so I wouldn't say they are really DRLs.

It would be nice to find someone who can help me mod some LED strip DRLs underneath the headlights. I want them to turn on when the engine is on or when the key is in the ON position without moving the headlight switch.

Something like this??

ford-fusion-sema.jpg

Something like this??

ford-fusion-sema.jpg

Yes, it was something like that! Minus the HID's and the fog light area accenting. I really wish there was a way to add the LED accenting such as the above and have them run when the key is in the on position. The primary reason is because I like to have DRLs not only because it looks nice, but also for safety reasons (Living in NY, pedestrians don't seem to get it. They don't see a car coming at them, even if they look directly at the car, unless their headlights are on or something bright grabs their attention. They cross and get hit when a car is clearly coming from the direction they are looking at).

Edited by Darthsnipe

You can have a shop open your headlamp assemblies and install LED strips, that's really all you can do. OR if we were fortunate like Europe, we could get them in our 2013 Ford Mondeos. I guess we werent lucky enough to be able to have them in the America's :(

It's not super-hard to do. Drill a hole, route the wires, pick the color. LED's are cool because they don't burn out, and the low-wattage drain. I didn't have to do it with our Titanium, but I had a Toyota Yaris that I added some blue led's to the interior in the front cabin (sorry, no pics). They matched the exterior color, and added a welcome bit of nice detail when driving at night. I wired them to be on whenever the key was on. Only word of advise is try the light in your selected location, and be sure it is diffused enough and not too bright. Some I put in were like little spot-lights, instead of diffusing the beam over a wide area.

I installed some USB LED lights in the footwells. I ran the wire in the center console to the USB ports. Really easy and didnt have to splice or tap into any wires.

BTW that picture posted above looks really nice

Which LED lights did you use in the footwells (i.e. Brand, Type, etc.)? Links or suggestions?

It's not super-hard to do. Drill a hole, route the wires, pick the color. LED's are cool because they don't burn out, and the low-wattage drain. I didn't have to do it with our Titanium, but I had a Toyota Yaris that I added some blue led's to the interior in the front cabin (sorry, no pics). They matched the exterior color, and added a welcome bit of nice detail when driving at night. I wired them to be on whenever the key was on. Only word of advise is try the light in your selected location, and be sure it is diffused enough and not too bright. Some I put in were like little spot-lights, instead of diffusing the beam over a wide area.

I am not very fond of drilling. Especially doing it on a brand new car, it just scares me. Since you said that you did yours to match the exterior color, I just have a quick question...what do you think will be the better color choice for my interior when I do receive my Fusion (White Platinum Metallic Exterior w/ Dune Leather Interior)?

Once again, any suggestions are gladly appreciated :).

Agree. I think the distinctive DRLs, which allow you to identify the make of a car from far away, are really intended for Europe. When driving on a speed-limit-free highway (like an autobahn), you will sometimes see a car in your review mirror, closing on you at over 50 MPH -- that is, you're doing 100 MPH but he's doing 150. The manufacturers want to make it easy to identify their cars from the front. IMO, this is why the grills have become so distinctive. But DRLs in fancy shapes are even easier to identify from far away.