Cabin Filter

fuzzy1626

I'm not sure who you're addressing your question to, but mine did not look as bad as Escapism's pic above. I had 15280 miles and 14 months on mine and it was brown, the tech said he thought it was about half way gone. Based on my driving conditions and AC use, which was used a lot this past summer, I think I can go 17000 to 20000 next time.

On another filter topic, because I had a coupon for $18.95 part and install, I also had the air filter changed. It could have gone much further, it was still yellow with some bugs and large dirt particles on the surface. Again, depending on your driving conditions, I believe it can go 20000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...
Had mine in for service today and asked how much to change the filter if I already have the Mototcraft part... $29.95. I said heck yeah, best $29.95 I've ever spent.

For that much, sure... you can do it... - - - - I'll have to watch for those coupons

Edited by pilotattitude

• 2 weeks later...

1. I was having the 5,000 mile oil and filter change done on my 2013 Escape SE, so I asked the Service Manager if they could check and see if it had a cabin air filter, because when I checked an earlier Escape, a 2002, at 60,000 miles, it had never had one installed at factory. The mechanic started to fiddle with the glove box and the senior mechanic came over to him and talked to him. That's when the Service Manager at the dealership in Northern Virginia checked and said the book says 1.2 hours and they charge .9 hours to replace it (You do the math). I declined and am now trying to figure out how to check it myself and if there wasn't one installed at factory, put one in. After I got home I did clean the screens on each side under the hood. At least they stop the big stuff. I had a lot of maple seed pods and pine needles I got out there.

If anyone has actually done this, did you have any issues with the BCM afterwards?

Edited by Zedhomme

My hats off to you.
That looks like a lot of work to replace a cabin air filter.
On my commuter car, a Prius, it takes about two minutes to do this.

Could I ask you to tell me what tools you needed to use each step, i.e. trim removal tool for instrument panel side trim, Phillips head screwdriver or hex socket on a wobble socket to remove cabin filter access door?

Also since the BCM is something I wouldn't want to damage, any tips on removing/reconnecting the electrical connectors or the clips that hold the BCM?

Also, although the documents I saw posted related the this filter replacement and actual BCM replacement didn't say anything about disconnecting the negative battery terminal before disconnecting and removing the BCM, it seems prudent to me.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Edited by Zedhomme
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. But looks like a dealer task to me. They just do not make it easy for a lay person do they. I suggest to all that you purchase some trim panel removal tools. They come in a kit at your local parts store. They are plastic and will not scratch your components when you try to remove the panels. Cost about $6.00

You really don't need a trim removal tool for this job. I have removed mine a total of 3 times. You do have to be careful when dealing with plastic clips. The BCM connectors are tricky. Never disconnected the battery and I've never had any problems. My Ford workshop DVD is my source of info.

I think they designed it this complicated because they figure most people will take it into the dealership to have it replaced. I know squat about car repair so unless I have a friend that knows how to do it and has the tools to do it then I'll take it in. Looking at the pictures it does sound like a big PITA.

Unlikely. The Edge's cabin filter is in the same location. However since it's a larger vehicle, there's more space there. Consequently, you don't have to remove the BCM to get to it. It's a 5 minute procedure on the Edge to change it in the same location. The Escape just has too much crammed into it :)