Cabin Filter

fuzzy1626

Same question, different day...

I picked up a filter yesterday and for the life of me cannot locate the access to the filter. I've looked in, under and around the glove box and in the engine bay by the cowl. fordparts.com has a ask your dealer a question feature and I'm waiting for a response, I'll post if they respond.

In my search for an answer I looked at the blow up image on Ford Parts and also found that forum post, neither one helped me, but that's me. If anyone figures it out, I have money.

If you have not already looked,You might get some ideas from here:

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/

Thanks, did a search for cabin air filter replacement with no results. That gave me the idea to check youtube and use 2013 Kuga... instead of 2013 Escape... and see if that works.

Nothing. Once again, I have money.

Edited by transitman

Thanks, did a search for cabin air filter replacement with no results. That gave me the idea to check youtube and use 2013 Kuga... instead of 2013 Escape... and see if that works.

Nothing. Once again, I have money.

My search for "filter" did find some posts, can't say if they are applicable to our US version. Moving on.

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/changing-air-filter-and-pollen-filter_topic7631_post70348.html?KW=Filter#70348

In order to remove the cabin air filter, you need to remove the BCM. Which requires removing the instrument panel insulator (under the glove box), RH instrument panel side trim panel (right of the glove box), the glove box itself, and disconnect the 8 electrical connectors to the BCM, and remove that. Then, remove the cabin air filter access door, and replace the cabin filter.

It looks to me like the filter is installed to the left of the glove box, though it's not very clear from the picture I'm looking at - it could be installed behind the glove box.

My search for "filter" did find some posts, can't say if they are applicable to our US version. Moving on. http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/changing-air-filter-and-pollen-filter_topic7631_post70348.html?KW=Filter#70348

Thanks for that. I printed the diagram and will look behind the fuse panel. The other day I pulled off the fuse panel cover, but didn't go any deeper.

In order to remove the cabin air filter, you need to remove the BCM. Which requires removing the instrument panel insulator (under the glove box), RH instrument panel side trim panel (right of the glove box), the glove box itself, and disconnect the 8 electrical connectors to the BCM, and remove that. Then, remove the cabin air filter access door, and replace the cabin filter.

It looks to me like the filter is installed to the left of the glove box, though it's not very clear from the picture I'm looking at - it could be installed behind the glove box.

Holy crap. It's no wonder they don't get changed. With all that's involved, they should sell cabin filter replacement ESP's.

Yikes.. :drop:

In response to my fordparts.com question, I got a call today from the service manager at my dealership. He confirms what khyros posted. The filter is below the glove box, and the fuse panel and BCM have to be removed to access the filter. What a pain in the ass. Why would they design so badly something that needs periodic maintenance? It makes it nearly impossible for a DIY project and a royal pain for service techs. I can't imagine they allot too much time for changing a cabin filter and with all that's involved, techs won't be able to get it done in the time Ford allows. Just stupid!

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the 3rd printing of the Owner's Manual for information on the supplemental heater and found this. There's no mention of the location in my 1st printing manual. I'll have to take a closer look under the bonnet when (if) it warms up here.

CABIN AIR FILTER
Your vehicle is equipped with a cabin air
filter. It is located just in front of the
windshield under the cowl panel grille on
the passenger's side of your vehicle.

I recieved my service DVD on Saturday and the first thing I looked up was this. You do have to remove the BCM and all the other stuff as described above. A real PITA!!!!

Crap, I was hoping for an easy replacement procedure after reading the 3rd printing. Can you to post the instructions and any diagrams?

Well, when its time for mine to be serviced, it will be coming out and staying out!

That's just stupid the way it's designed!

As well as I'm concerned, they are useless anyway. Every time you open the doors or windows, the car is exposed to all the stuff the filters are supposedly trying to filter

Edited by blockisle9

........I can't imagine they allot too much time for changing a cabin filter and with all that's involved, techs won't be able to get it done in the time Ford allows. Just stupid!

Since most cabin air filters will not be changed under warranty...what Ford allows for a change out will be inconsequential...coming soon to a dealership near you, a spring special, cabin filter service for only $79.95 plus filter.

Well, when its time for mine to be serviced, it will be coming out and staying out!

That's just stupid the way it's designed!

As well as I'm concerned, they are useless anyway. Every time you open the doors or windows, the car is exposed to all the stuff the filters are supposedly trying to filter

I'm sure you have already read this portion of the manual, but as a reminder...

(my highlights)

CABIN AIR FILTER
Your vehicle is equipped with a cabin air
filter. It is located just in front of the
windshield under the cowl panel grille on
the passenger's side of your vehicle.
The particulate filtration system is
designed to reduce the concentration of
airborne particles such as dust, spores and
pollen in the air being supplied to the
interior of your vehicle.
Note:
A cabin air filter must be installed at
all times to prevent foreign objects from
entering the system. Running the system
without a filter in place could result in
degradation or damage to the system.
The particulate filtration system gives you
and your passengers the following
benefits:
• It improves your driving comfort by
reducing particle concentration.
• It improves the interior compartment
cleanliness.
• It protects the climate control
components from particle deposits.
The filter should be replaced at regular
intervals. See the
Scheduled
Maintenance
chapter.
For additional cabin air filter information,
or to replace the filter, see an authorized
dealer.

Since most cabin air filters will not be changed under warranty...what Ford allows for a change out will be inconsequential...coming soon to a dealership near you, a spring special, cabin filter service for only $79.95 plus filter.

Huh, ONLY $79.95 plus filter, what a deal. It's not a warranty item, but don't shops have repair charge time frames, or are those just recommended times and if they go over, oh well, we'll just charge the customer more. The recommended mileage for the cabin filter change is 20,000 and not part of the Multi-Point inspection for those who use the dealership. Most people probably aren't aware they have one, take their car to a quick lube joint because it's cheaper and faster, (you get what you pay for), it never gets addressed and doesn't get changed until it damages the HVAC system. While the owner is rubbing his temples because of the $980 repair, the SM tells the customer a blocked cabin filter was the cause of the damage, you should have changed your cabin filter at 20,000 and 40,000 miles.

Sure I will post the instructions later today.

Thanks! I suppose since I offered money in a couple of earlier post I'll have to pony up. How much...?

Ha, no worries about paying. it will just be my good deed for the day.

And thats good advice above. Don't run your car without the filter. After changing my wifes cabin filter in her Honda, I was shocked to see all kinds of plant material, insects, and other unrecognizable stuff. Totally blocked. And after only 18,000 miles! No way would I run the system without one. As a matter of fact, I will change The Escape's around 10-15K.

But it is a shame thats its such a pain. I can't wait to get home and post, just to see your reactions.

My last mustang had a cabin air filter and I never changed it. I sold it with over 80,000 miles and if it was clogged I never could tell a difference. I think some people are getting overly excited about changing it. Just my opinion.

Kinda like changing the filter in your HVAC system at home. Same principle, same problems will occur. But your car sucks in way more debris than your home. Every time you turn on your fan air is passing through the filter. You may live in an area that has less "stuff" in the air. Its just like your oil, if you drive in harsher conditions than you have to change it more often.

You should change it periodically, and if it is too difficult or above your skill set, have it done at a qualified garage. Just be wary of over-charging for a job that at this point in time, is still a relatively new "recommended service" item. If you are at least not aware of the procedure, you may find yourself getting gouged...

Edited by twintornados